Towpath Talk

steelaway

Featured Posts

Can I just say that I think David Scowcroft comes across as an utter arse! Page 8

From someone who doesn't even own a generator, has no 240 volt device on his boat, except a small inverter and a mobile phone charger.

the bits about the generator are valid, the rest is just snobbery.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Well I might be just a technophobe but I find that format very difficult

I managed to turn to page 2 but I don't know how and never did get to page 3 so I gave up

Click the save button and download the whole thing as a pdf. file. Much easier to read and better resolution too.

Rick :lol:

Can I just say that I think David Scowcroft is an utter arse! Page 8

From someone who doesn't even own a generator, has no 240 volt device on his boat, except a small inverter and a mobile phone charger.

Irony, dear boy...

Click the save button and download the whole thing as a pdf. file. Much easier to read and better resolution too.

Rick :lol:

Ta Rick

having gone back to it to follow Rick's advice I immediately sussed out what I needed to do

I have no idea what was going on there on the first attempt

Edited by Bazza2

Yes, I read it with irony in mind, I bet Alanis Morrisette is prettier tho.

Why shouldn't someone have any electrical gadget their heart desires on their boat, as long as they comply with the rules of the road. (I.E generator running hours) If they want a 42 inch flat panel TV that's fine by me. I don't even care if the owner of the boat next to me has never even seen a book ....

I'm happy with a book, and the occasional listen to the radio or a CD, but it doesn't give me (or him) the right to look down on someone who prefers a Playstation 7.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Over 14MB of download, 48 pages long, 34 of which are commercial classified ads, leaving 14 pages of written text info/news, and some of those with a third taken up with more advertisements.

Morton's are onto something. I can't even light the fire with an on-line version.

Two letters in Talkback only items worth reading, and Mr. Pig Ignorant might be inadvertantly giving lessons to more of the same instead of striking the irony bell.

Wildlife? Buried under the fodder for wannabe boaters. But it makes business for Morton's, and if you don't have to 're-cycle' the 'paper', something less to overflow the bins while we wait for the frost to abate so's the bin men can step forth in line with Health and Safety.

From David Scowcroft

I am very surprised that this Forum would allow such personal abuse of an individual, particularly from someone who does not have the moral courage to put his/her real name to the comment.

The articles are meant to cause discussion but I never thought they would generate personal abuse.

Small generators are an increasing nuisance on the wateways, that is my opion and I believe the opinion of many. It is nothing to do with snobbery, how could it?

I suspect that an apology form the Forum and the individual concerned would, like peace and quiet on Visitor Moorings, be too much to ask?

From David Scowcroft

snip

I suspect that an apology form the Forum and the individual concerned would, like peace and quiet on Visitor Moorings, be too much to ask?

As somebody who has been personally insulted, in the pages of Towpath Twaddle, with no apology offered, I get the distinct whiff of the pot calling the kettle black, here.

Get over it! That's what I did.

Edited by carlt

I have sent you my full personal contact details. I have even posted them publicly before now.

You may report my post to the moderators. I have reported the post myself

In my opinion, your piece was typical of the worst kind of waterways user. Those who wish to see the waterways filled with clones of themselves.

Edited by fuzzyduck

From David Scowcroft

From me, yes. But I am more than happy for you to criticise me In towpath talk.

Can I just say that I think David Scowcroft comes across as an utter arse! Page 8

I rather enjoyed it, I think this was written very much tongue in cheek.

Brian

Edit for spilling, as usual

Edited by ditchcrawler

From David Scowcroft

I am very surprised that this Forum would allow such personal abuse of an individual, particularly from someone who does not have the moral courage to put his/her real name to the comment.

The articles are meant to cause discussion but I never thought they would generate personal abuse.

Small generators are an increasing nuisance on the wateways, that is my opion and I believe the opinion of many. It is nothing to do with snobbery, how could it?

No it isn't, and for the record, I agree with your view of generators.

However, it is entirely open to others to disagree with that view and to argue that point, or to criticise the manner in which you express yourself.

I'm afraid that if you choose to write a piece for publication, you must accept the brickbats as well as the bouquets

It’s amazing how an article on small generator can produce such an explosive reaction.

At least you got a reaction - more so perhaps than an article about reading a book by candle-light.

Towpath generators are indeed irksome things, but cheap - for the price of a Whispergen you can go to town on energy-guzzling gadgets.

Perhaps the boater who released the hydrogen sulphide down the bottom of the Montgomery just wanted a bit of peace and quiet with his towpath genny.