painted on the back cabin panels

Kez

Featured Posts

What sort of things were painted?

I'm preparing Linnets backcabin for painting and wondered how common roses and castles were with the old boats, number ones in particular? Ive seen a few photos of backcabins where you can see the table cupboard panel has a dog or a fighter plane emblazened on it (done during the war perhaps?)

I've a vague recollection of being told how an old boat painter was being interviewed and somewhere in it the interviewer said "It must please you that most of the modern boats have you paint roses and castles" to which he was given the answer of "No it doesnt! I hate roses and castles! It's always bloody roses and castles!"

Anyone out there got photos of backcabins with something different on? or seen an old back cabin with something different?

In answer to the first question - Roses and Castles!

On table cupboard flaps a dog or a horse might be preferred, and I've seen some clever scumble work imitating dark wood borders to a twisted rag panel. Some Black Country boats had geometric pattern in lieu of roses, but by and large the 'old' cabins and their Number One's would have been very particular about maintaining and perfecting the 'norm' rather than branch out on radical changes.

I can understand the comment made by a painter that something different would be a change from the everyday, but perhaps he felt his abilities were not being put to the test! Others might be proud of their own style, and wished to perpetuate it as a trade mark. Bill Hodgson, who was responsible for the Knobsticks style of realistic roses couled, and di paint everything under the Sun. It is said the rooms of his house were images of a tropical rain forest with plants, trees and wildlife all over the walls - he wouldn't stop painting!

More recently some have branched out from the traditional with other scenes, especially on table flaps and bed'ole flaps. The butty Brighton has a picture of Brighton Pier on the bed flap, my mate's bed flap has a couple of humourous scenes of boating antics. But the 'traditional' roses and castles, whilst representing a tradition in itself, also give rise to thoughts of solidarity and natural beauty that are an everlasting desirous state. Long may it continue (with a little deviation for those inclined).

We visited a furniture cave local to us a few days ago, and got chatting to one of the proprietors. In there, was a black wood sideboard of no particular interest, and it had had its many and various panels painted in lurid purples and pinks - and poorly at that. I said it was a shame it had been desecrated like that, and the chap said "Oh it will probably be attractive to canal dwellers" . . . :lol:

Shropshire Union narrow boats did not have roses and castles, and were usually just finished in good quality scumble, much as was done on other northern canal boats. There was some form of geometrical pattern or scroll work on the doors, best seen in the well-known photo of Irene at Chester.

Shropshire Union narrow boats did not have roses and castles, and were usually just finished in good quality scumble, much as was done on other northern canal boats. There was some form of geometrical pattern or scroll work on the doors, best seen in the well-known photo of Irene at Chester.

Most Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. narrow boats were not decorated with roses and castles when new. Their door panels and interiors carried much the same colours as the external livery.

The butty Brighton has a picture of Brighton Pier on the bed flap,

The bed flap in the cabin of the Narrow Boat Trust Ltd.'s BRIGHTON is divided into two sections, each section housing a painting of the two seperate Brighton Peir's (not very well painted but a good and possibly original idea).

My all time favorite was when a freind of mine who was operating camping boats in the mid 1980's painted his water can as a copy of a Coca Cola can, which then lay alongside his other water can, handbowl, doors, table cupboard e.t.c. all of which were beautifully painted with roses, castles and graining in the traditional style.

Reminds me of the story that the 'Terry Thomas' of the TV antiques world told about the ladies working in a parachute factory during WWII. One would collect small scraps of the silk used, sewing them together to make ladies knickers and embroidering on them a Messerschmitt in flames with the caption "These come down without a fight!"

How did I get here? Oh yes - fighter planes . . .

Derek

I think the Coca-Cola idea is brilliant! Any plans on BASS, Mackeson or Guinness? There are some attractive beer labels around.

Edited by Derek R.

Bill Hodgson, who was responsible for the Knobsticks style of realistic roses couled, and di paint everything under the Sun. It is said the rooms of his house were images of a tropical rain forest with plants, trees and wildlife all over the walls - he wouldn't stop painting!

I copied a Hodgson idea that Tony Lewery mentioned to me and painted a Player Cigarettes "Hero" sailor's head on the base of one of our handbowls. The trademark was already a circular image, and worked well. Although not desperately of a royalist persuasion, in the Queen's Jubilee year I painted Union flags on the top of Towcester and Bude's stands rather than the more common diagonally quartered feature, which looked quite smart.

Tony's Narrowboat Painting (David & Charles 1974) and Flowers Afloat (D&C 1996) both have several alternative ideas from working boat days.

Reminds me of the story that the 'Terry Thomas' of the TV antiques world told about the ladies working in a parachute factory during WWII. One would collect small scraps of the silk used, sewing them together to make ladies knickers and embroidering on them a Messerschmitt in flames with the caption "These come down without a fight!"

I like that idea! :lol: let me find some silk...

My plan is:

lancaster/spitfires - table cupboard

roses and castles - bed hole cupboard and back cabin doors

steam engines - door to engine room

shetland ponies - engine room doors

And maybe a guiness toucan somewhere.. :lol:

How did I get here? Oh yes - fighter planes . . .

Derek

I think the Coca-Cola idea is brilliant! Any plans on BASS, Mackeson or Guinness? There are some attractive beer labels around.

I think the Coca-Cola livery was used as it was fairly simple to replicate being plain red with a white twist going up the sides. I last saw this can in August 2001 on 'Birmingham & Midlands' motor boat YEOFORD.

He also had a portrait of Donald Duck on the castle panel of the 'weather board' (just inside the cabin doors )- his knickname was "Duck". What was important, and probably why this non traditional painting worked was because it was all done to a very high standard and only dotted about amongst the proper traditional stuff.

my mate's bed flap has a couple of humourous scenes of boating antics.

Is that who i think it is? (if so I will look out a couple of pics)

EDIT - just taken a couple of pics of stuff I have in the kitchen - sorry they are so cr@p!

Handbowl

RIMG0061.jpg

RIMG0062.jpg

Fuel Can

RIMG0055.jpg

RIMG0057.jpg

Edited by Satellite

Here is a can painted for us in 1975, specifically to take to the continent on the Humber Keel 'BEECLIFFE'.

I don't suppose they ever had Narrow Boat style water cans on such vessels, but what the h*ll :lol: :lol:

Humber Keel one side, Sloop the other, Narrow Boat style castles in between:-

DSCF2839.jpg

DSCF2838.jpg

Tim

Here is a can painted for us in 1975, specifically to take to the continent on the Humber Keel 'BEECLIFFE'.

I don't suppose they ever had Narrow Boat style water cans on such vessels, but what the h*ll :lol: :lol:

Tim

Hmm, I like that aswell. Maybe a buckby can with some of dads old ships on... Anymore pictures of that sort of design?

Hi Kes,

I don't think you are alone in wanting to put something a little different in the back cabin; I get requests to paint many different things on cans etc. Rather than post loads of photographs, here are links to two pages on my website just to show you some of the different things people have requested:

Water Cans - click

Commissions - click

My own personal favourites are the pike and the dragons (water cans) and the two west highland terriers (on the commissions page).

I must say, though, that the photos that Tim posted of his water can is one of the most beautiful pieces of canal artwork that I've seen - he has a real jewel there (in my opinion). I would really love to see it.

Terence

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can gather roses ( flowers is a better word ) and Castles ( or landscapes ) were the norm on the back doors of long distance carrying boats. Most often ( though not, for instance in Joshers ) the interior decoration was added at the behest of the boatmen. Again more often than not roses and castles BUT there very many exceptions, flights of birds , animals etc and , in Badsey`s case at some time or other before I bought her, a pair of reclining nudes.

The owner boatmen were much more lavish in the exterior decoration , sailors, royal portraits, flags and all sorts of things - but there would still be roses and castles as well.

DSCF2839.jpg

DSCF2838.jpg

Tim

Flash bugger that Lewery chap - bit good though eh !

From what I can gather roses ( flowers is a better word ) and Castles ( or landscapes ) were the norm on the back doors of long distance carrying boats. Most often ( though not, for instance in Joshers ) the interior decoration was added at the behest of the boatmen. Again more often than not roses and castles BUT there very many exceptions, flights of birds , animals etc and , in Badsey`s case at some time or other before I bought her, a pair of reclining nudes.

I don't remember those !!! Where were they painted ?

Hi Kes,

I don't think you are alone in wanting to put something a little different in the back cabin; I get requests to paint many different things on cans etc. Rather than post loads of photographs, here are links to two pages on my website just to show you some of the different things people have requested:

Water Cans - click

Commissions - click

My own personal favourites are the pike and the dragons (water cans) and the two west highland terriers (on the commissions page).

I must say, though, that the photos that Tim posted of his water can is one of the most beautiful pieces of canal artwork that I've seen - he has a real jewel there (in my opinion). I would really love to see it.

Terence

I love the old can. Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it possible to buy water carriers that can actually be used for drinking water? We bought a buckby can (mail order) unpainted with the intention of commissioning a painting job but the fabrication quaility is awful. It's hard to believe it would even hold water! Unevenly cut, lumpily welded, etc. Are the painted ones like that underneath just with dozens of layers of paint to fill in the unevenness? I have seen ornamental canalware in shops and it's clearly labelled as being for decorative purposes only - like coffee pots that can't be got wet or hot! So is there no decortated ware that is actually for using? I'm not sure I've got room in my tiny galley for purely decorative items - but my polythene water carrier isn't very attractive!

I love the old can. Sorry if this is a stupid question but is it possible to buy water carriers that can actually be used for drinking water? We bought a buckby can (mail order) unpainted with the intention of commissioning a painting job but the fabrication quaility is awful. It's hard to believe it would even hold water! Unevenly cut, lumpily welded, etc. Are the painted ones like that underneath just with dozens of layers of paint to fill in the unevenness? I have seen ornamental canalware in shops and it's clearly labelled as being for decorative purposes only - like coffee pots that can't be got wet or hot! So is there no decortated ware that is actually for using? I'm not sure I've got room in my tiny galley for purely decorative items - but my polythene water carrier isn't very attractive!

Most of the water cans you can buy now are fairly rubbish and definitely made down to a price. With the demise of Lester's, a Birmingham company ,it became almost impossible to source anything decent although I believe there are still a couple of "backyard" type producers.

However a forum member Terence has sourced some from China but which are made to his vigorous spec and I hear that they are really pretty good. He may sell one to you plain but I imagine would prefer to do so painted.

Terence's Website

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

However a forum member Terence has sourced some from China but which are made to his vigorous spec and I hear that they are really pretty good. He may sell one to you plain but I imagine would prefer to do so painted.

Terence's Website

Paul H

I have seen one of Terence's new cans and they are definitely 'proper', especially when seen against one of the crappy ones.

The size he has at the moment (3 gallon?) is also a fairly useful size if you need it for real.