Water Cans

pete harrison

Featured Posts

A thread on this forum a few months ago spoke of the supply problem regarding new water cans. Has this been resolved ? - I am talking of functional galvanised water cans of both 2 and 3 gallon capacity, not similar designed items intended as ornaments.

Plenty here:-

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/BUCKBY-C...OWLS_B28EQ.aspx

Hi Pete

The stuff I've seen in Midland Chandlers I wouldn't use and I believe I've seen stickers on the advising that they are fro decorative use only. Dave Turner in Runcorn makes occasional small batches tho' Phil Speight and Jane Selkirk seem to buy most of his stock. The Waterways Craft Guild have not yet found a British manufacturer tho' member Terence Edgar has had some made in Eastern Europe. They're as near as dammit unless you're being totally picky - and the ones made by Lesters were a far cry from the old heavy historic stuff. I could let you have a 3 gallon if it helps. Pm me for details if interested

Cheers

Dave

Hi Pete

The stuff I've seen in Midland Chandlers I wouldn't use and I believe I've seen stickers on the advising that they are fro decorative use only. Dave Turner in Runcorn makes occasional small batches tho' Phil Speight and Jane Selkirk seem to buy most of his stock. The Waterways Craft Guild have not yet found a British manufacturer tho' member Terence Edgar has had some made in Eastern Europe. They're as near as dammit unless you're being totally picky - and the ones made by Lesters were a far cry from the old heavy historic stuff. I could let you have a 3 gallon if it helps. Pm me for details if interested

Cheers

Dave

I think the ones that Terence has sourced are very good I have seen them both un painted and painted by Terrence in 3 gallon form. They look very convincing to me and seem well made and good quality. I think he is expecting to get some 2 gallon versions this year.

See Terrence's web site for examples of his work

http://canalartbyterence.com/

Hi Pete

The stuff I've seen in Midland Chandlers I wouldn't use and I believe I've seen stickers on the advising that they are for decorative use only.

Dave

Bl**dy hell, and they charge £60- £70 squid for em too, what a rip off :lol:

A thread on this forum a few months ago spoke of the supply problem regarding new water cans. Has this been resolved ? - I am talking of functional galvanised water cans of both 2 and 3 gallon capacity, not similar designed items intended as ornaments.

Pete - Don't know if these are 'proper' cans or the ornament type, but I remember seeing an article on uk.rec.waterways (from 1997) which I have reproduced at the bottom, in full:-

Googling AG Lester & Sons also reveals chimblies, buckets, cowls & coolies etc.

"AG Lester and Sons - bespoke manufacturers of sheet metal products from canalware, paraffin lighting and lamps, oil bottles for the rail industry ..."‎

Website www.aglesterandsons.sagenet.co.uk does not appear to be working. Hope it's a 'holiday' thing and not another mfr gone to the wall.

......and it's just off the INNER Ring Road.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: 7 Nov 1997, 08:00

Subject: Buckby cans direct

To: uk.rec.waterways

In article <136BC3BD0...@snow.csv.warwick.ac.uk>, Dr Sean Neill

<ed...@snow.csv.warwick.ac.uk> writes

>I've just got an unpainted 2 gallon can from A.G.Lester & Sons in

>Birmingham - price 20.87 UKP which seems quite reasonable.

>They are happy to sell direct, but they make them in batches so you

>would have to wait till a batch was made and collect it (I assume - I

>did). They also do other sizes, and brass trim.

>They are in Erskine St (just off the outer ring road - tel 0121 359

>1018).

>Sean

Thanks for the info...For me this is exactly what this newsgroup is

all about..sharing information about my passion for the canals and all

that goes with them.

I have been trying to obtain an unpainted can for ages, but understandibly

all chandlers want to make their cut even on unpainted ones.

--

Roger Guiver NB "Elapsed Time" Napton

Hi Pete,

You've probably had the information you need here in this thread already but if it helps here is a picture of the cans that I supplied Dave Moore with and that I paint. The cans are very similar looking to an A G Lesters can apart from the triangle hinges on each side instead of the small hinges that Lesters cans had. I recently listed a painted one for sale on this forum (click here) which (amazingly!) sold instantly! It has taken me a lot of time and work to get these cans made but have received my first batch of 3 Gallons and am very pleased. Now working on the 2 Gallons.

3GallonCan_Terence.jpg

You can PM me if you would like any more help.

Terence

Edited by Terence

Thanks for all of the replies to my query.

I am not in the market for a can just yet (not been on a boat since Stoke Bruerne and Braunston working boat gatherings in 2007 - when one of my two remaining cans got crushed under a bridge by a freind), but I was interested to know their availability and quality.

• 3 weeks later...
can2.jpg

Another can................of worms? :lol:

I associate the 'bucket handle' style of crescent section handles with Southern cans, while the cans made 'oop north' in Cheshire, for instance, have stuck to the wire handle with roller and fabricated back handle. I have seen apparently very old cans with wire handles made who know where. Question for the hitorians - Do the bucket handles also go back a long way, or did they come from one or two particuar makers?

Tim

can2.jpg

Another can................of worms? :lol:

Good God! I had a shock when I saw that photo I thought that someone had nicked my can. It is virtually identical to the one I bought on Farmer's Bridge Flight in the 1960s. even the handle is the same, and I made that my self to replace the original wire and wood one.

The Colour and decoration is vitually identical as well, the only difference being that I painted Braunston roses rather than Knobstick type ones, and painted Daisys on the centre band rather than Roses

Edited to add: If I knew how to post a photo, I would put one on to demonstate what I mean.

Edited by David Schweizer

Posting Pictures Been there these past four and a half years.

Derek

Yes l looked at that and is about as clear as mud. One on the problems is that you need two computers to do it, one to load the programme on, and one to follow the instructions. I will have to get someone who understands these things to do it for me.

Yes l looked at that and is about as clear as mud. One on the problems is that you need two computers to do it, one to load the programme on, and one to follow the instructions. I will have to get someone who understands these things to do it for me.

It's really not too bad as long as you understand what you are doing. There are three steps:

1. get the pictures from your camera onto your computer
  2. upload the pictures to a picture sharing site like Photobucket
  3. link the pictures on photobucket to this website

I'm guessing you have already done step 1. Have a go at step 2 and report back

Richard

Yes, I know what you mean - Too Much Information.

Items in blue are extra to the basic, so read the black to grasp the basics.

You need to open an account with one of the free web based photo hosts, such as Picasa, Image Shack, or Photobucket. Only from such sites will you be able to copy and paste the vital line of 'code' that represents your pictures into the forum pages.

I happen to use Photobucket, it's free, and will hold more images than you can shake a stick at. In no way do you give up your images to be lost to them, they still remain in your files, only a copy goes to the photo host. Once with the photo host, you can do what you like with what you have in your personal image files, they only work with the copy you gave them.

Once an account is open, follow their instructions for 'Uploading' your chosen image.

Depending on the size of your image (in terms of kb or MB) it may be better to resize them down to around 100kb, this can be done with a neat little tool called 'Resize pictures' from Microsoft, it's the easiest thing to use, and pops up in a drop down menu when you right click on any image in your file. The options are; small, medium, large, and custom - no faffing about with pixel size or percentages. Easy peasy. You can download that from HERE. It's free, there is no need to pay for some high falooting software with bells and whistles hanging off it.

So, you are in your photo hosts website, and click 'upload'. You then get to choose 'browse' to find the picture(s) to upload - select your chosen, click OK/open. Takes a few seconds. The photos will then appear in your photo hosts 'album', and below each one will be sets of coding; Email & IM; Direct link; HTML code; and IMG code. Select IMG code and copy. (This is how it appears in Photobucket)

Now go to your forum reply window, and paste the line of code where you want your picture to show.

You will not see your picture, just the line of code. Click on 'preview' to see your picture in context with your written text to check it's where you want it, and if you are happy with that - click 'add reply'.

Job done! No need to print off pages of instructions as two tabs or windows can be run concurrent, and you can swop from one to the other easily.

One other tip: With an HTML code, you can paste that into an Ebay item for sale in their HTML window, and put as many pictures of your item for sale as you like, without it costing you a penny. Their first is free of course, but all others are charged for at 12p a shot - not if you use HTML! It may take some juggling to get them displayed just as you want them, but perseverance pays.

Two last items to consider:

1 When you place a photo on such a host site as Photobucket, it will remain on the forum for all to see ONLY while it remains with the host site. Move or delete the photo from the photo host site, and it will disappear from the forum pages!

2 Leave your host albums 'public'. If you tick them as 'Private', no-one will see your pictures. Allied to this, is to remember that it may be possible for anyone to view all the photo's in your 'public' albums - so keep your private stuff to yourself, or create a separate album within the photo host and tick THAT 'private', that locks out public access.

Send me a PM if you get stuck.

Derek

Yes, I know what you mean - Too Much Information.

Items in blue are extra to the basic, so read the black to grasp the basics.

You need to open an account with one of the free web based photo hosts, such as Picasa, Image Shack, or Photobucket. Only from such sites will you be able to copy and paste the vital line of 'code' that represents your pictures into the forum pages.

I happen to use Photobucket, it's free, and will hold more images than you can shake a stick at. In no way do you give up your images to be lost to them, they still remain in your files, only a copy goes to the photo host. Once with the photo host, you can do what you like with what you have in your personal image files, they only work with the copy you gave them.

Once an account is open, follow their instructions for 'Uploading' your chosen image.

Depending on the size of your image (in terms of kb or MB) it may be better to resize them down to around 100kb, this can be done with a neat little tool called 'Resize pictures' from Microsoft, it's the easiest thing to use, and pops up in a drop down menu when you right click on any image in your file. The options are; small, medium, large, and custom - no faffing about with pixel size or percentages. Easy peasy. You can download that from HERE. It's free, there is no need to pay for some high falooting software with bells and whistles hanging off it.

So, you are in your photo hosts website, and click 'upload'. You then get to choose 'browse' to find the picture(s) to upload - select your chosen, click OK/open. Takes a few seconds. The photos will then appear in your photo hosts 'album', and below each one will be sets of coding; Email & IM; Direct link; HTML code; and IMG code. Select IMG code and copy. (This is how it appears in Photobucket)

Now go to your forum reply window, and paste the line of code where you want your picture to show.

You will not see your picture, just the line of code. Click on 'preview' to see your picture in context with your written text to check it's where you want it, and if you are happy with that - click 'add reply'.

Job done! No need to print off pages of instructions as two tabs or windows can be run concurrent, and you can swop from one to the other easily.

One other tip: With an HTML code, you can paste that into an Ebay item for sale in their HTML window, and put as many pictures of your item for sale as you like, without it costing you a penny. Their first is free of course, but all others are charged for at 12p a shot - not if you use HTML! It may take some juggling to get them displayed just as you want them, but perseverance pays.

Two last items to consider:

1 When you place a photo on such a host site as Photobucket, it will remain on the forum for all to see ONLY while it remains with the host site. Move or delete the photo from the photo host site, and it will disappear from the forum pages!

2 Leave your host albums 'public'. If you tick them as 'Private', no-one will see your pictures. Allied to this, is to remember that it may be possible for anyone to view all the photo's in your 'public' albums - so keep your private stuff to yourself, or create a separate album within the photo host and tick THAT 'private', that locks out public access.

Send me a PM if you get stuck.

Derek

Thanks for the explanation, I will copy and print that and have a go. I did try to load Photobucket once, but got in a mess so I gave up. I really must try and join the 21st century, the problem is that I am much happier working with Victorian technology than modern stuff.

It's really not too bad as long as you understand what you are doing. There are three steps:

1. get the pictures from your camera onto your computer
  2. upload the pictures to a picture sharing site like Photobucket
  3. link the pictures on photobucket to this website

I'm guessing you have already done step 1. Have a go at step 2 and report back

Richard

Ah well, that is the first problem ( see above)

Ahaa - but you have a computer - and you have been able to sign on to a forum, reply to posts - and highlight a section of text in colour.

You are too modest in your abilities. I too prefer Victorian engineering, though even further back we did better things with stone and wood. But I think the internet, digital photography, and washing machines - are pretty good inventions too! Television has become debauched. No time for it - the mis-information channel.

Sorry guys, gone off topic. I prefer the cans with wire handles and a wood roller, but something substantial - not Sketchley coat hanger stuff. Mines got a flattish metal 'U' shaped handle with a support, and purchased and decorated by a chap up Preston Brook way (little sticker beneath, can't remember the name off-hand, might be Collins), been with the boat these past twenty years or more I think. 3gal, sturdy, holds water. I foolishly used it as a step-up some years ago, so the lid is part unsoldered where split. Still does the job it was intended for. Unusual to me, for the background colours are black with red bands, and Braunston style flowers on top. Band of angled colour around the bottom band.

Best I can find right now:

108TychoMayPICT0117Small.jpg

105TychoMayPICT0114.jpg

Derek

PS Apologies for the brass and fenders - I'd been beavering away on getting some semblance of rudimentary comfort for Ian and Tina in the cabin. They sorted the brass and fenders for me at Boo'bun.

Edited by Derek R.

Thanks for the explanation, I will copy and print that and have a go. I did try to load Photobucket once, but got in a mess so I gave up. I really must try and join the 21st century, the problem is that I am much happier working with Victorian technology than modern stuff.

Ah well, that is the first problem ( see above)

Yes, I kind of guessed that was the case. The explanations for posting pictures usually dive straight in to the details of accounts and stuff. That's why I thought I'd try and give you a rough idea of the landscape before you started.

You could crack Photobucket first (step 2), or try linking pictures from other parts of the internet to here (step3). You will need to be able to do both eventually

Richard

Looking forward to your first picture

I associate the 'bucket handle' style of crescent section handles with Southern cans, while the cans made 'oop north' in Cheshire, for instance, have stuck to the wire handle with roller and fabricated back handle. I have seen apparently very old cans with wire handles made who know where. Question for the hitorians - Do the bucket handles also go back a long way, or did they come from one or two particuar makers?

Tim

The bucket handle cans were made by Joseph Ash in Birmingham. they supplied FMC, GUCCCo and BW. The firm still exists and in the days of working as "Boatmans Cabin" (1989 ish) I went there to see if they could still make some. They showed me the old order book and explained that they had disposed of all the patterns for holloware a short time before my visit. They made a number of differing styles of handles depending what the customer asked for.

I mostly understand what I'm doing, just sometimes don't get WHY I'm doing it... :lol:

Ah - now the world might just open up to you with that one little question "Why?" And having found out, you might wish you hadn't asked!

Some truths are enlightening, empowering even, and some can be traumatic - all depends on what you 'believe' to be the truth.

A note on water cans: Whatever maker, it's a good idea to get hold of some small bore polythene or rubber tubing (not reinforced), and cut a piece that runs around the full circumference of the bottom rim.

Slit the tubing along its naturally curved top edge, and fit it over the bottom rim of the can. You will now have a circular 'buffer' that will save paint, and stop cans vibrating to the tune of an engine. Whenever you place the can down on the ground, the tubing may pick up small bits of dust or gravel, simply run a rag around the base to remove. (But watch you don't put it down on broken glass! You wouldn't do that would you?)

Derek

Edited by Derek R.