Calling International Rescue....

boatbot

Featured Posts

After reading about the sunken boat in Cambridge and my own problems I am would like to think about forming some sort of IR -I dont know how or what at this stage but something has to be done to reestablish my faith in the "community of the canals" that Biggles has suggested-I dont know what it was like in the past but I am sure if someone was in trouble then action would have been taken before it was too late-the trouble is with this proposal the canals are so vast, it seems quite daunting but I want to give back something back to the canal community who have helped me in the past-The philosophy of the International Rescue show was to go to peoples aid when called upon and was NOT Government backed, worried about insurance, and wasn't paid!! There just wait for it, cared

I would like to set up a similar service but how? Where would Tracy Island go? Maybe the Isle of Wight?

But seriously it would have to be a non-profit outfit-Mayby I am just dreaming....(again)

Anyways its an idea...

After reading about the sunken boat in Cambridge and my own problems I am would like to think about forming some sort of IR -I dont know how or what at this stage but something has to be done to reestablish my faith in the "community of the canals" that Biggles has suggested-I dont know what it was like in the past but I am sure if someone was in trouble then action would have been taken before it was too late-the trouble is with this proposal the canals are so vast, it seems quite daunting but I want to give back something back to the canal community who have helped me in the past-The philosophy of the International Rescue show was to go to peoples aid when called upon and was NOT Government backed, worried about insurance, and wasn't paid!! There just wait for it, cared

I would like to set up a similar service but how? Where would Tracy Island go? Maybe the Isle of Wight?

But seriously it would have to be a non-profit outfit-Mayby I am just dreaming....(again)

Anyways its an idea...

My favourite was always Thnderbird 2 - can I be Virgil please???

thunderbird2.jpg

Just how the hell did it fly with it's wings on back to front??? :lol:

thunderbird2.jpg

...and with that extra apostrophe causing unnecessary wind resistance?

Anyways its an idea...

But who will be pulling the strings ....

COAT :lol:

After reading about the sunken boat in Cambridge and my own problems I am would like to think about forming some sort of IR -I dont know how or what at this stage but something has to be done to reestablish my faith in the "community of the canals" that Biggles has suggested-I dont know what it was like in the past but I am sure if someone was in trouble then action would have been taken before it was too late

You've got a cheek.

Your boat is still afloat because of the "community of the canals" as you call it.

Perhaps when you get back you'll don the red underpants and get out there and save all the boats in danger.

Edited by Chris Pink
Language

You've got a *** cheek.

Your boat is still afloat because of the "community of the canals" as you call it.

Perhaps when you get back you'll don the red underpants and get out there and save all the boats in danger.

lol he has lost faith in the boating community, why?

Your boat has been saved twice, was you hoping to come back to a new one in april or something, i am pretty surprised its not gone missing with the amount of people knowing its sat there for several months unattended, then again it would be pretty hard to steal when its sat on the bottom of the canal...

Like i have thought myself for many years, some people wont ask for help, and other's just take take take without giving anything back..

And also you have never met carl and he has gone out of his way to refloat your boat for FREE and you still ask for his help again, I hope there was a cheque in the post for £100. at the end of the day you could have spoke to the nearest boat owner given them £20 a month to watch over your boat and once a month recharge your batteries and none of this would have happened...

Edited by Theo
Language

You've got a **** cheek.

:lol:

(but said what a lot would be thinking I believe) - I went for the extracting the urine approach,

Edited by Theo
Language

As I have refloated boats as far North as Yorkshire, as far west as LLangollen and as far south as Newbury, never short of willing helpers, either, I believe there is plenty of "community spirit" or whatever you want to call it.

I've never asked for anything more than tea and the odd sandwich, in return, either (though petrol money is always welcome).

I would never get involved in any "organised" venture, though.

With organisation comes responsibility (and litigiousness) and I would never want to feel obliged to help or tied down to a timetable.

I've also given my petrol pumps away, though I still have my submersibles, so my ability to assist is now severely diminished.

Boats can sink very fast, almost without warning. One sank last year because he tied in too tight and the water level went up by 18 inches, flooding through the skin fittings. Everyone did help refloat him. A guy bought a boat off his friend and moored it at our marina, barely ever visited it. I don't think any one noticed it was sinking. Well I certainly didn't - call me non observant, whatever! Well it did sink, another neighbour called him and offered to help him refloat it, but it took him a whole week to come and sort it out. The boat is ruined and is now a really sorry state, on hardstanding somewhere. I don't know what his circumstances were, but I think if you have a boat, then you do need to check on it constantly, or get a friend to do so, you should have some personal responsibility.

I've just got back after leaving our boat for a fortnight, I put our mobile numbers in the windows and a neighbour has our key (we all hold each others keys, here and most of my neighbours know where the bilge pump switch is, for instance apart from, I think the boat that sank). I still worried about it though, coz I know how precarious boats can be. Anyway, when we got back, the rug was wet, a bit of string had got under one of the mushroom vents and was conduiting water from outside! Unbelievable. The day after we got back, the water level got so ridiculously high, it flooded the marsh and I woke up to find the boat listing. I wouldn't be happy leaving the boat for more than a couple of weeks, especialy not in winter.

There have been steps to setup simular ventures in other fields, for instance that of kitcar, where around the country there are a large number of enthusiasts who own such cars and also a range of equipment capable of working on and recovering cars.

- For instance, i have a trailer with winch that could recover a whole range of kitcars. Or any other form of car providing its under about 4ft.

- Should someone breakdown near me and be able to contact me, its quite possable that i could go down and recovered them and what have you.

- However that all fails, because actaully it would really require a manned switchboard (cost) and because actaully for £35 a year you can get formal breakdown cover anyway!

Other systems are purely designed for the target of sharing tools/equipment around on a non-emergancy level but forming a seachable 'tool-pool' but these typicaly also fall apart, because actaully people just use the various forums on the subject and form posts to the tune of 'any got an engine crane i can borrow next weekend in the cheshire area' etc.

Ulitmatly, actually, normally, if you have a sinking boat you just go down there an sort it out yourself and if for some reason you cant you ring a nearby boatyard and have them do it for you. Which amougst other things its what their there for!! People also ask for favours via other means, such as this forum and others, which also works well.

Daniel

thunderbird2.jpg

It looks good - nice paint job I like the green, but I reckon it would sink like a stome as soon as it got on the cut.

Wonderful design prevents wing tip vortices and increases lift parameters

Completely redundant, with today's stealth technology, though.

The main advantage of the forward swept wing was vastly improved manouevrability but with the loss of stability.

Very useful in dogfights which just don't happen any more.

Well, actually:

IMG_9360.jpg

He had to cut the wings and cockpit off to get it under the bridges (half of that is true)

Mac

:lol::lol:

Completely redundant, with today's stealth technology, though.

The main advantage of the forward swept wing was vastly improved manouevrability but with the loss of stability.

Very useful in dogfights which just don't happen any more.

How was it unstable?

thunderbird2.jpg

It's a German idea to reduce drag. They actually produced and aircraft and flew it with the wings exactly the same as TB2