BOAT IS SINKING AGAIN!!!

boatbot

Featured Posts

Sh*t Stuart - that's such a rubbish thing to happen :lol:

Sorry - I'm always crap at finding the right words when they're needed

Hugs to you and Val

Ange xxx

Thanks Ange as you know shes been out of fettle for a good while and we were more or less resigned to this hopefully there will be no complications when they operate, shes such a little diamond and doesnt deserve this. Stuart

I think I'd put a comma, after "guys", but it may be optional.

I thought the same but you only mentioned the apostrophe...so I thought I'd got away with it.

Edited by MJG

Yes my inbox has a pm in it from yourself but as you are just a nasty little creepy kind of guy that likes to insult people with and for no good reason i have yet to click on it , i can only hope you have realised that your post to the OP did need deleting and you cringe in your embarrasment.

Hope the new year is better for you than this one.

Dear me gaggle,

My years been fine thanks, sorry yours doesn't seem to have been.

Come on people. Handbags!

I cannot imagine what it would be like to be in the possition of being told a boat you own is sinking without being able to tend to the problem to correct it. My one of my biggest fears with our boat is that it should sink or catch fire while im away from it and im greatfull that im in the possition to be able to check on it reguarly throughout the winter as well as boat on her regularly throughout the summer.

That said however, if i where in the situation of having to leave a boat for a significant period of time as boatbot has I would have taken as many steps to minimalise the chance of an issue rising, including in the case of a crusier sterned boat or even our own, of sheeting over the rear portion of the boat thoughly including even the fabrating or having fabrated a fitted or semi fitted cover for the occation. Further more should I have got into the position where emergancy action had been needed, and then taken by a forum member on mybehalf with following suggestion that work would be needed to avoid a repeat, i would deffonatly have set up for the problem to be properly rectified and monitered.

Otherwise in summary. Thankyou Carl for your work. Sorry boatbot that your having problems with you boat. But ulitmatly now has this thread come to rest?

Daniel

Thanks Carl I do appreciate, i do-the trouble is the boatyard will not store it-they have offered to remove the oil and take the engine apart for under 1000 but it will have to go back to the BW mooring I am paying for-so I am worried now having only had 2 hours sleep I feel awful and I am STILL worried as it could happen again and BW will be at me again-so I need a firm solution to work with-so this wont happen-It will be only a short time-atleast it isn't that poor butty that sank with wind turbine still working!

I wanted to pick up on this, and offer a bit of further advice as i think the situation is not resolved yet.

Instead of taking the engine apart at this stage - it can wait until you get back in April - spend your money on getting them to install a bilge pump, float switch, leisure battery and 50W solar panel as a completely separate system from any existing installation. I would imagine this would cost around £6-700 with fitting.

I have a boat with open hold that sits quite happily with this arrangement. With intelligent setting of the float switch you can ensure that it pumps out underneath any oily residue.

This will ensure that the boat stays up (the main result). You can clean the engine when you get back, chances are it will not have suffered too much and will still have oil on much of it.

I wanted to pick up on this, and offer a bit of further advice as i think the situation is not resolved yet.

Instead of taking the engine apart at this stage - it can wait until you get back in April - spend your money on getting them to install a bilge pump, float switch, leisure battery and 50W solar panel as a completely separate system from any existing installation. I would imagine this would cost around £6-700 with fitting.

I have a boat with open hold that sits quite happily with this arrangement. With intelligent setting of the float switch you can ensure that it pumps out underneath any oily residue.

This will ensure that the boat stays up (the main result). You can clean the engine when you get back, chances are it will not have suffered too much and will still have oil on much of it.

Sounds very sensible to me.

Spending money on getting the engine sorted without solving the 'sinking' problem seems to be throwing good money after bad!

Agree entirely.

As it didn't sound that you particularly had anyone on hand who would go to the boat to charge batteries by running the engine on a regular basis, getting a bilge pump arrangement independent of engine running would sound to be the best way to tide you over until you can get back and do the full sort out.

No worries, i have reopened the thread after closing it last night and merged the comments made on the other thread.

While i agree that if it comes to it, a bildge pump, float switch, and solarpanel setup is the way to maintain an empty bildge on a boat thats taking on water. However without knowing more about the boat i would first be aiming to solve WHY its taking on water and work wot solve that.

- It could be that a £20 tarp of the back deck and a few turned on the stern tube greaser would have the same effect.

- Emilyanne takes on water through her back deck in heavy rain but with a small tarp added over winter will stay bone dry inside for months at a time.

Daniel

No worries, i have reopened the thread after closing it last night and merged the comments made on the other thread.

While i agree that if it comes to it, a bildge pump, float switch, and solarpanel setup is the way to maintain an empty bildge on a boat thats taking on water. However without knowing more about the boat i would first be aiming to solve WHY its taking on water and work wot solve that.

- It could be that a £20 tarp of the back deck and a few turned on the stern tube greaser would have the same effect.

- Emilyanne takes on water through her back deck in heavy rain but with a small tarp added over winter will stay bone dry inside for months at a time.

Daniel

Indeed but the tarp solution really needs someone keeping an eye on the boat too.

I know float switches do too but less so.

Rain water on an open rear deck and possibly front deck as well will build up surprisingly fast.

The boat yard are the real people to advise on this but my main point was don't bother about the engine until he's sure the boat will stay afloat.

Another solution would be to pay someone £500 to keep it pumped out until April.

I agree with some other posters

if you can arrange for boat to be lifted out pumped out and left on the hard.

I may be talking nonsense but if a part has failed, causing the boat to take on water surely this must be somthing you can talk to your insurance company about. Im smiling as Im writing this, as im seeing a posible insurance claim through pink tinted glasses. :lol:

Once on the hard and checked on you can forget about it till you arrive back in the UK , and see things fresh, getting you home on the water back to how you want and sorted

Col

Indeed but the tarp solution really needs someone keeping an eye on the boat too.

I know float switches do too but less so.

Rain water on an open rear deck and possibly front deck as well will build up surprisingly fast.

The boat yard are the real people to advise on this but my main point was don't bother about the engine until he's sure the boat will stay afloat.

Another solution would be to pay someone £500 to keep it pumped out until April.

I suggested, by email, that he get the yard to fit a whale gusher hand pump and I'm quite happy to go up every couple of weeks and pump it out.

Less healthy than me carrying a pump and battery, or genny, up and down the towpath, which was the alternative.

Yer right there and the whale pump idea would ensure that botchbot has to do something to get out of his problem!

I suggested, by email, that he get the yard to fit a whale gusher hand pump and I'm quite happy to go up every couple of weeks and pump it out.

The threads open again-It is at the boatyard as we speak-the good folks are having a look in the cabin to check if any water-the oil is being cleared and I am fitting the hand held pump-with Carls help every two weeks this should sort it till I am back. I have taken your advice about engine revamp if needed-I would rather make sure she can float first-yes and we will get a new tarpulin-thanks for everyones in put-

Miss rat, your idea is a constructive one: but I don't think RCR would be interested. I am a member, and they deal only with getting your engine started if you have a breakdown. If they can't start it they will arrange for the boat to be towed to the nearest boatyard. Mind you, come to think of it, if the engine is under water it's a fair bet that it won't start.