Canal boat rescued as it went out of the Humber!

Theo

Featured Posts

Just heard on the news thet a 30ft narrowboat with a couple in their 60s has been rescued by the Yarmouth coastguard.

They'd gone out of the Humber estuary to get the boat down to London!

I'm not sure how far far out to sea they were but the coastguard said they had no safety equipment apart from a handheld VHF radio.

The man was found suffering from seveve hypothermia, the woman was ok.

Whatever were they doing out there?

No Anchor?

Confused in the early hours?

Nick

Yeah, just saw the report on the BBC too.

According to the MCA spokesman: Set out at night. Heading down to London apparently. Not a narrowboat though. Some kind of "Broads-like 30 ft boat". No sea-going equipment. The occupants raised the coast guard on a mobile phone (much further out and there'd have been no signal). The coastguard were only able to locate them by fixing on a "very weak hand held radio" (i.e walkie-talkie ?). No flares, no VHF, no heating .. and the engine had failed .. what were they thinking ?

Can't find a link at the moment.

Whatever were they doing out there?

No Anchor?

Confused in the early hours?

Nick

Just to add a little detail from memory.

It seems that the RNLI rescued them. They had broken down and the man was suffering from hypothermia. I have no idea how far down they were.

N

Yeah, just saw the report on the BBC too.

According to the MCA spokesman: Set out at night. Heading down to London apparently. Not a narrowboat though. Some kind of "Broads-like 30 ft boat". No sea-going equipment. The occupants raised the coast guard on a mobile phone (much further out and there'd have been no signal). The coastguard were only able to locate them by fixing on a "very weak hand held radio" (i.e walkie-talkie ?). No flares, no VHF, no heating .. and the engine had failed .. what were they thinking ?

It seems to me that these are the sort of incidents where there would be justification for chaarging the rescued with the costs of the rescue. What idiots!

N

Just to add a little detail from memory.

It seems that the RNLI rescued them. They had broken down and the man was suffering from hypothermia. I have no idea how far down they were.

N

It seems to me that these are the sort of incidents where there would be justification for chaarging the rescued with the costs of the rescue. What idiots!

N

I agree, and whilst we're at it, a hefty charge should be raised for all those non-emergency 999/112 calls that we hear so much about. :lol:

Edited by dave69700

they were lucky that the boat was towed back, the emergency services might well have decided to save the lives and abandon the boat.

I hope they can afford a road transporter to complete the journey.

Its very unlikely the boat would have been abandoned as even a small vessel not under command would have posed a hazzard to other shipping and the Humber is a busy place. I supose there will now be the usual calls for us all to have a license. Here we go!

Edited by Lewis 53

The RNLI will never charge fo their services, claim on insurance, assert salvage rights or take government money. There are very good reasons for this.

The vast majority of their work is saving people from their stupid mistakes, this is no different.

As to mobile signals, I get a better signal, 30 miles off the East Coast than i do in Rugby.

Edited for an unforgivable "their/there" error

Edited by carlt

Happens on a weekly basis to a greater or lesser extent I am afraid and it is compounded by the fact that lumpy water boats don't have to have any form of obligatory boat safety examination. This leads not only to situations like that described but to refuelling at sea over hot engines :lol: (dive boat last week), a 'professional' fishing boat with a known broken aerial wondering why they couldn't get a response when their engine failed (diesel bug), women fell whilst wearing stilletos on the upper deck, complaining that the boat was rocking and she fell over and a recent 'favourite' - young man splits from partner, buys small (22') yacht to from mate down pub to live on, has the advantage of a paid mooring at Brighton Marina but disadvantage of him not knowing anything about boats, seems to do quite well for the first week and likes the life(moored to a jetty) decides to take the boat out BUT not just by himself but with his 3 year old son who has for the week end, no passage planning, doesn't know ANYTHING about sailing , boat handling or even his outboard, no life jackets or anchor, no VHF and 'dodgy' mobile (as it turns out) and no charts (he intended to use a road atlas). He was "Just going out past the pier" He ended up off Littlehampton, 25 miles further on and decided to "turn in and moor" as the child was getting very cold and worried. He hit a sandbank and became firmly wedged. To his credit he did not panic but decided to drop anchor(which he did not have) and then phone his sister to tell her he would be late back(battery flat). His 'misfortune' was being observed by members of the local volunteer Coastwatch who called out the local inshore Lifeboat. On arrival the boat owner initially said he would be ok to refloat when the tide came up but the lifeboat insisted on organising a tow as within the hour a severe storm(force 9) coming up the Channel that would have smashed his boat to pieces, as it was, it suffered substantial damage to the rudder and prop in the initial grounding and had to be towed back to Brighton the following day. All the above was gleaned from a Boat Safety Check which I conducted last summer. The very good news is that the owner is now undertaking RYA training and has had his boat sorted (it also had severly rusted standing rigging)and a working and registered VHF installed. He is even more enthusiastic than before but at least he will know a little about what he is doing, he has also joined the yacht club:)

“They basically failed to heed the excellent safety messages contained in the MCA calendar 2010 for the months of Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May/Jun/Sep and Oct. Some still available from most Coastguard Stations!

:lol:

Yes, I caught this bit of inspirational marketing of the calender.

Set sail at 2200. Was this after a skinful in the local?

Martyn

As to mobile signals, I get a better signal, 30 miles off the East Coast than i do in Rugby.

I too thought that should be the case - line of sight is greater over the sea than on land.

I too thought that should be the case - line of sight is greater over the sea than on land.

A lot of what is written, in press releases, is for the benefit of the next potential idiot.

When I go to sea I carry a phone for each network, fixed and handheld VHF sets (plus back up handheld, in the grab bag) but no flares.

Current thinking, within the RNLI and MCA is steering towards the fact that flares have become redundant and the dangers attached to them outweighs their usefulness.

I didn't replace mine because I had so much trouble disposing of the time-expired ones, on the boat (yes, they went for a swim, attached to the halon fire extinguisher that I couldn't get rid of, either).

As I was looking for that I came across this one. It might have been on this forum already as it was back in September. The "barges" were actually narrowboats.

'Please keep barges off tidal river'

Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 06:30

A rescue charity has hit out at people who put themselves at risk by taking barges onto a tidal river.

Humber Rescue, which operates an inshore lifeboat from Hessle foreshore, has dealt with three incidents on the River Ouse, close to Goole, in recent weeks.

Founder member Dave Roberts told the Mail: "It is becoming a problem for us.

"Barges are coming out of the canal system at Goole and onto the river.

"But these boats, which travel at around four knots, are not capable of dealing with the tide, which moves at five knots in parts.

"Engines are burning out because they just can't cope. We are then called out to deal with it."

In the latest incident, Mr Roberts said the Humber Rescue boat was alerted to a 60ft barge drifting near a bridge, close to the M62.

Mr Roberts, whose team were scrambled from the boathouse next to Humber Bridge, said: "It took us 25 minutes to reach the scene, travelling at full speed - 40 knots.

"Fortunately, we got there in time. The owner was really panicking.

"Our message would be that these boats are built for canals. They are not meant for fast-flowing, tidal rivers like the River Ouse."

Since January, Humber Rescue has dealt with 70 call-outs, mainly responding to SOS pleas from pleasure boats and yachts.

Mr Roberts said: "A large number of incidents relate to boats that have been caught out between the Humber Bridge and Brough.

"It is because of the rapidly changing sandbanks. People don't know where they are."

Happens on a weekly basis to a greater or lesser extent I am afraid and it is compounded by the fact that lumpy water boats don't have to have any form of obligatory boat safety examination. This leads not only to situations like that described but to refuelling at sea over hot engines :lol: (dive boat last week), a 'professional' fishing boat with a known broken aerial wondering why they couldn't get a response when their engine failed (diesel bug), women fell whilst wearing stilletos on the upper deck, complaining that the boat was rocking and she fell over and a recent 'favourite' - young man splits from partner, buys small (22') yacht to from mate down pub to live on, has the advantage of a paid mooring at Brighton Marina but disadvantage of him not knowing anything about boats, seems to do quite well for the first week and likes the life(moored to a jetty) decides to take the boat out BUT not just by himself but with his 3 year old son who has for the week end, no passage planning, doesn't know ANYTHING about sailing , boat handling or even his outboard, no life jackets or anchor, no VHF and 'dodgy' mobile (as it turns out) and no charts (he intended to use a road atlas). He was "Just going out past the pier" He ended up off Littlehampton, 25 miles further on and decided to "turn in and moor" as the child was getting very cold and worried. He hit a sandbank and became firmly wedged. To his credit he did not panic but decided to drop anchor(which he did not have) and then phone his sister to tell her he would be late back(battery flat). His 'misfortune' was being observed by members of the local volunteer Coastwatch who called out the local inshore Lifeboat. On arrival the boat owner initially said he would be ok to refloat when the tide came up but the lifeboat insisted on organising a tow as within the hour a severe storm(force 9) coming up the Channel that would have smashed his boat to pieces, as it was, it suffered substantial damage to the rudder and prop in the initial grounding and had to be towed back to Brighton the following day. All the above was gleaned from a Boat Safety Check which I conducted last summer. The very good news is that the owner is now undertaking RYA training and has had his boat sorted (it also had severly rusted standing rigging)and a working and registered VHF installed. He is even more enthusiastic than before but at least he will know a little about what he is doing, he has also joined the yacht club:)

That's a great tale but I think these foolish escapades which try and frustrate the coastal emergency services are but a very small price to pay for one of the few real freedoms that British subjects retain. The freedom to escape to sea without let or hindrance . . .

The fact that they went to sea without being properly equipped, without logging their voyage with the authorities and more importantly, without checking the weather, means they should be fined.

Unfortunately, people like me and the countless others who donate to the RNLI have to pay for these muppets, when the money could be used to fund new boats, equipment and generally help those in need.

The lifeboat crew have had to turn out and risk their own lives to help them.

These kind of people will always do stupid things (we are an island nation after all) and the nanny state can't protect everybody from themselves, but they should be made to pay for the callout.

The fact that they went to sea without being properly equipped, without logging their voyage with the authorities and more importantly, without checking the weather, means they should be fined.

Unfortunately, people like me and the countless others who donate to the RNLI have to pay for these muppets, when the money could be used to fund new boats, equipment and generally help those in need.

The lifeboat crew have had to turn out and risk their own lives to help them.

These kind of people will always do stupid things (we are an island nation after all) and the nanny state can't protect everybody from themselves, but they should be made to pay for the callout.

I too support the RNLI but I disagree with the concept of charging - even when lives are risked to rescue fools. In my view, the whole spirit of our voluntary and charitable service would change if charges were applied. On the other hand, I do hope that those saved will have learned something and will make an appropriate donation . . .

The RNLI, as an independant organisation have the power to charge for their services but they will never do so.

They preserve their independence and freedom from criticism, by not charging.

Besides, as my Mum always told me, whilst clipping my ear, there's no such thing as an accident so, if every act of maritime stupidity or negligence was left to the insurance companies and private tug operators, there'd be no need for the RNLI and we'd all be whinging about our extortionate insurance premiums.

It must be said that lifeboat crews don't have to turn out, it's all done on a voluntary basis. The fact is they consist of ordinary boaters like us and are quite happy to meet challenges and in fact get a sense of satisfaction from doing an exciting and worthwhile job. If we start fining people then we are on a slippery slope that can only be counterproductive IMO. While ever people are willing to support the RNLI and people are willing and eager to go out in all weathers to help people, idiots or otherwise, then let things be.

Edited by nb Innisfree

True Carl, but its a luxury brought about by an abundance of legacies and donations in the past. Things might have to change if funds start to dry up in the future.

I would just prefer my small annual contributions to be used for something more unavoidable.

I take your point about accidents. An engine failure could be attributed to a lack of maintenance etc, but it's a more reasonable occurrence.

Not checking the weather forecast whilst attempting to cross the wash in a 30ft boat is bordering on criminal.