"Narrowdog" boat destroyed in fire

Clive B

Featured Posts

I've just read a report about the fire at Stone which destroyed 3 narrowboats last night. Dreadful news for all the owners, but especially as one of them was the Phyllis May, owned by Terry and Monica darlington who, as many boaters will know, took her safely thousands of miles across France and the USA and wrote the lovely "Narrowdog" books about their journeys. Commiserations to them both and thank goodness no-one and no dogs were hurt.

ThisisStaffordshire article

Edited by Clive B

I've just read a report about the fire at Stone which destroyed 3 narrowboats last night. Dreadful news for all the owners, but especially as one of them was the Phyllis May, owned by Terry and Monica darlington who, as many boaters will know, took her safely thousands of miles across France and the USA and wrote the lovely "Narrowdog" books about their journeys. Commiserations to them both and thank goodness no-one and no dogs were hurt.

That awful news - didn't enjoy his books that much but to lose the boat he undertook such an adventure in is truly dreadful

PS your link isn't working

Edited by MJG

That awful news - didn't enjoy his books that much but to lose the boat he undertook such an adventure in is truly dreadful

PS your link isn't working

Beat me to it with the same sentiment.

Correct link http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/...il/article.html

Same sentiment here - except that I thoroughly enjoyed 'Narrow Dog To Carcassonne'. I guess that being a Francophile helped. Is the American one out yet?

It is but I enjoyed that even less than the first.

Narrow Dog to Indian river it's called.

Same sentiment here - except that I thoroughly enjoyed 'Narrow Dog To Carcassonne'. I guess that being a Francophile helped. Is the American one out yet?

It is out, read, sent to charity shop, bought, read and enjoyed by me! Haven't read the first one yet. And it's a shame about the boat. I wonder how Terry will use this experience?

Richard

I am gutted by this news. Thankfully it appears that nobody was hurt, but it is a great loss to all concerned. I enjoyed both of Terry and Monica's books, and being really decent people, they have been very kind in offering me advice about pubishing etc. in the past. I wish them well for the future.

Absolutely tragic for all three owners. Thankgoodness no one was hurt.

Deepest comiserations (?sp) to all concerned.

And that's a fair point too, let's not forget the other 2 boat owners who lost their boats too.

Edited by MJG

I wonder how Terry will use this experience?

Richard

Narrow Dog to Valhalla?

:lol:

Actually I know Terry and Monica fairly well, we used to be neighbours and they are moored at one of the boatyards I work with occasionally. I have just got back from having a look at the carnage and Phylis May is pretty well totalled, the fore end is completely burned out to the extent of collapsing handrails. The stern isn't too bad but I think it will be a write off. Such a shame, really nice people.

Despite the damage to the three boats, it could have been worse but for the prompt and decisive action of a nearby moorer who works at the boatyard. He, almost single handedly and despite opposition by the fire service, managed to move a lot of other boats out of the way of the fire. Otherwise it could have been ten or more boats!

Regards

Arnot

Very sad news for all concerned. I have never witnessed a boat fire and have no wish to do so but I do have a question for anyone that has more experience than me in such matters. How easily does a fire spread from one boat to another ? I know it is a little bit of a how long is a peice of string question but any input would be welcome. The reason I ask is becuase I sometimes worry about how near some boats moor to one another, I try not to moor within 15 yards of another boat and nose to tailing is a strict no no for me. I know some moorings are very popular and are always jammed packed but surely boaters who do moor so close run the risk of someone elses mistake taking there boat down too ??? or vice versa.

Sorry to be such a gloom and doom merchant :lol:

What sad news i am really sorry to hear this news and it must be devastating for all the owners concerned.

I met Terry and Monica at the IWA fetival this year and had a good chat with them,very nice people after going through there mamouth trips on the Phyllis May they must be totaly gutted- i am sorry for this sad news but at least no one was hurt.

It is but I enjoyed that even less than the first.

Narrow Dog to Indian river it's called.

I liked the second book even more than the first as it was so much more off the wall but then again I was in fits of laughter over their self pump out kit in the first one and the launderette in Leighton Buzzard. Such a shame to lose their boat like this after all the adventures and for all the others affected by this fire. So glad no-one (or narrow dog) seems to have been hurt.

D

Very sad news for all concerned. I have never witnessed a boat fire and have no wish to do so but I do have a question for anyone that has more experience than me in such matters. How easily does a fire spread from one boat to another ? I know it is a little bit of a how long is a peice of string question but any input would be welcome. The reason I ask is becuase I sometimes worry about how near some boats moor to one another, I try not to moor within 15 yards of another boat and nose to tailing is a strict no no for me. I know some moorings are very popular and are always jammed packed but surely boaters who do moor so close run the risk of someone elses mistake taking there boat down too ??? or vice versa.

Sorry to be such a gloom and doom merchant :lol:

Fire spreading from boat to boat is largely a phenomenon encountered when boats are moored side by side.

Mooring nose to tail gives very little opportunity for fire to spread.

If you won't go nose to tail on a popular mooring, then (in my opinion) you should moor somewhere else

The reason I ask is becuase I sometimes worry about how near some boats moor to one another, I try not to moor within 15 yards of another boat and nose to tailing is a strict no no for me. I know some moorings are very popular and are always jammed packed but surely boaters who do moor so close run the risk of someone elses mistake taking there boat down too ??? or vice versa.

You have little choice but to moor nose to tail on popular moorings. Leaving 15 yards between each boat will quickly take up all avaliable moorings at popular spots.

The chances of boat fires happening are probably less than the chance of having a house fire. We dont shy away from living in terraced or semi detached housing because of the risk of our neighbours burning down their house. Boats are no different and as has been pointed out mooring nose to tail offers very little chance for a fire to spread and every oppurtunity to move your boat should the worse happen to one of your neighbouring boats.

I try not to moor within 15 yards of another boat and nose to tailing is a strict no no for me.

If it's a busy mooring place, and you really have left what you judge to be 15 yards minimum to the next boat, you'll find people like us trying to fill the gap to save longer spaces for others. :lol:

Do you also refuse to share double locks, in case the boat next to you goes up in flames whilst doing so ?

There's surely a far greater danger packed side by side, with engine running, down a 10 foot deep enclosure, than there ever is moored nose to tail, engine not running, out in the open ?

p.s. Whilst I wish Mr Darlington well, and sympathise with his loss, I could never be doing with his wretched "Narrow Dog" books - OH seldom gives up a book early through sheer annoyance with the author's style, but even she, I recall, couldn't last too many chapters into "Narrow Dog".

terrible experience for all boatowners concerned.

Having had my boat destroyed by arson I know the trauma involved and the devastating experience of having to go and see your home in ashes.

Every time you hear of it happening to someone else that gut wrenching moment comes back, like it was yesterday.

I wish them well.

terrible experience for all boatowners concerned.

Having had my boat destroyed by arson I know the trauma involved and the devastating experience of having to go and see your home in ashes.

Every time you hear of it happening to someone else that gut wrenching moment comes back, like it was yesterday.

I wish them well.

Whilst not trying to contradict anything above, in this case at least one news report I've read says that the fire started accidentally in the engine room of one of the other boats. The effect is still the same, of course.

Be careful out there with wiring and diesel pipes, folks.

MP.

Whilst not trying to contradict anything above, in this case at least one news report I've read says that the fire started accidentally in the engine room of one of the other boats. The effect is still the same, of course.

I have no idea how their fire started.

I think, if my boat had burnt due to an error on my part, or accident, the trauma would have been even greater.

At least I've got the miserable little toerags to blame.

• Greenie 1

Be careful out there with wiring and diesel pipes, folks.

MP.

MP, This seem to confirm that fact. Staffs FRS clicky

As you say, watch the wiring etc.

Regards

Rob@BSSOffice