Warn Bar

Featured Posts

As an Editor on a different website, I know how the moderators feel. All those who moderate this site are volunteers (as are all those on the site where I am an Editor), and as such do this thankless task for free, in their own spare time. And whilst on the site where I am we do get the occassional free product samples to review, I very much doubt that on this site there is any reward for the moderators at all.

To have to deal with 'difficult' members can be tedious to the extreme, especially if you have just come home after a long day, or night, at work. To be honest, often the temptation to ignore a fractious post, especially if it is a repeat, is overwhelming. After all, the moderators are under no obligation to answer your PM. Sure, it would be courteous to do so, but as they are volunteers, and the site is for free, and you have not 'bought' a service as described, it is a simple case of 'like it, or lump it'.

It irritates me to no end (occassionally anyway), that those who use a free service like this, expect the volunteers to be at their beck and call, and expect a 'full time, paid level' of service.

I too work, in my spare time on a website. That brings me a fair raft of e-mail, including regular e-mail correspondence that arrives at least once a week (and has done for the past 5 years) from a particular gentleman who imagines that he has found a fault on the site or its data.

I consider that having put myself into that position, I do owe those who send messages a response, and they always get one (even the weekly correspondent). It is a matter of simple courtesy.

As to the moderators, sure they can discard courtesy and ignore PMs, but I find it astonishing that in sending a message informing a user that he is blocked, they provide an e-mail address for correspondence then ignore it. That is, to my way of thinking extraordinarily discourteous.

But no matter! The moderators are entitled to be rude, and I am entitled to say that they have behaved rudely.

But no matter! The moderators are entitled to be rude, and I am entitled to say that they have behaved rudely.

Very true, but as I have said before we must never assume that an internet forum is a democracy, they can with the click of a mouse have any of us 'disappear'. Unjust, probably but a fact none the less.

I speak as someone in a previous forum life got into a escalating spat with one of the mods. and I got snuffed out in such a way.

This one should anybody be wondering

Edited by MJG

Very true, but as I have said before we must never assume that an internet forum is a democracy, they can with the click of a mouse have any of us 'disappear'. Unjust, probably but a fact none the less.

Oh, indeed they can evict anybody on a whim if they choose to do so.

Fortunately, they can't prevent the story being told.

Didn't you mean this?

"Mine is a long and a sad tale!" said the Mouse, turning to Alice, and sighing.

"Fury said to

a mouse, That

he met

in the

house,

'Let us

both go

to law:

I will

prosecute

you.—

Come, I'll

take no

denial;

We must

have a

trial:

For

really

this

morning

I've

nothing

to do.'

Said the

mouse to

the cur,

'Such a

trial,

dear sir,

With no

jury or

judge,

would be

wasting

our breath.'

'I'll be

judge,

I'll be

jury,'

Said

cunning

old Fury;

'I'll try

the whole

cause,

and

condemn

you

to

be banned from the forum for a whole week.' "

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Am i losing my marbles or my memory?

Now you see it.....and now you don't,

:lol:

anyway you were only complaining the other day that you miss all the fun

Edited by MJG

Are you an accredited 'Naughty Gal' then? I'm impressed!! What was your transgression? I got accused of making thinly veiled threats, though after the event the complainant admitted he may have got it wrong. It's all good sport!!

You're misrepresenting what I said. I thought we had let this one drop but since you insist on dragging stuff up from a couple of years ago, I never said I may have got it wrong and I wasn't the only complainant. I admitted only that I regretted winding you up in the first place because of your uncivilised reaction. The term 'thinly veiled' was I think pretty charitable, given that you implied you were nearby and said you were looking forward to meeting me on a dark towpath! If that's all good sport to you then I think we can see exactly where you're coming from.

Edit: I didn't ban you for 3 months, Jon did, based on your posts that he read.

Edited by blackrose

You're misrepresenting what I said. I thought we had let this one drop but since you insist on dragging stuff up from a couple of years ago, I never said I may have got it wrong and I wasn't the only complainant. I admitted only that I regretted winding you up in the first place because of your uncivilised reaction. The term 'thinly veiled' was I think pretty charitable, given that you implied you were nearby and said you were looking forward to meeting me on a dark towpath! If that's all good sport to you then I think we can see exactly where you're coming from.

Edit: I didn't ban you for 3 months, Jon did, based on your posts that he read.

Calm down Rose, I was only discussing the matter with Fil, I have no interest in re-visiting the tawdry and silly affair.

Actually if some-one referred to me as a McDonalds Apple pie that would be a 'real' insult they have got to be one of the most sickly ghastly concoctions any fast food emporium has ever turned out, oh and yes they're a bluddy H&S hazard too, hot - I don't think the earth's core is hotter.

As you can probably tell I have had one recently.

i think the McDonalds milk shakes need a H&S warning even a Dyson vacuum cleaner on full power would struggle to suck on of those.

i think the McDonalds milk shakes need a H&S warning even a Dyson vacuum cleaner on full power would struggle to suck on of those.

The secret is to let it melt slightly first and always take an additional straw for when the first suffers Catastrophic Collapse.

I speak as someone in a previous forum life got into a escalating spat with one of the mods. and I got snuffed out in such a way.

This one should anybody be wondering

Ahh I too have been told off there ........

Chris