British Pathe ......... old film footage

wirren

Featured Posts

I'm not volunteering by the way, but couldn.t a modern day promo film be commissioned by a consortium to 'get' the canals over to all users and non-users?

Just a thought.

I think these films are terrific even with the dodgy commentary, but it does add to the occasion.

Martyn

I found the films with commentary much more interesting than the silent ones

I think its the dodgy commentary that does it for me

Thanks very much for posting those. I am intrigued by the consistent use of the terms "barge" and "bargee" throughout - was this boaters' parlance at the time or just Pathe News' perception of the right terminology?

How about the film the bargee! which i understand is to be released on d.v.d in march

great film but full of mistakes. mike

The continuity is infamous, along with 'Painted Boats', but huge fun, and at times when most of the general public knew little or nothing about canals or life afloat let alone what was where. The Eric Sykes character cracks me up, and Ronnie Barker - and Hugh Griffiths give brilliant performances. Still available on VHS.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

A couple of things come to mind. The first is working the butty offset from the motor. Is that usual?

Richard

Yes it is usual to keep the loaded fore end of the butty out of the flush from the motor's propeller, otherwise the flush will be pushing the butty backwards whilst you are trying to travel forwards - and it is also slightly easier to steer the butty outside of this turbulance.

Yes it is usual to keep the loaded fore end of the butty out of the flush from the motor's propeller, otherwise the flush will be pushing the butty backwards whilst you are trying to travel forwards - and it is also slightly easier to steer the butty outside of this turbulance.

Thanks Pete.

Richard

Hi All,

Its a jolly good job we can watch these on the net. Having dealt with Pathe and Movietone trying to get access to these for use on a DVD the sums involved would probably restore most of the TWT fleet!! They want unbelievable amounts to provide access for usage which probably means no one will ever see these in full resolution which is a terrible shame. There is a lot more than what is seen here as they hold film which was not used in these shorts. To give you an idea of the sums they offered me a special deal for 100 dvd's only. Seven minutes of film for a mere £18000. .......................

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Couldn't tell you which one, but it'll be one of the Bridgewater tugs. They were wide beam with wheel steering, originally steam powered.

Thanks for the confirmation, i thought it looked a bit brdigewater like, although i have to say i couldnt place the location at all.

Hi All,

Its a jolly good job we can watch these on the net. Having dealt with Pathe and Movietone trying to get access to these for use on a DVD the sums involved would probably restore most of the TWT fleet!! They want unbelievable amounts to provide access for usage which probably means no one will ever see these in full resolution which is a terrible shame. There is a lot more than what is seen here as they hold film which was not used in these shorts. To give you an idea of the sums they offered me a special deal for 100 dvd's only. Seven minutes of film for a mere £18000. .......................

Oh dear! I rang BP the other day enquiring as to whether I could purchase stills, the one's downloadable from the site have British pathe plastered all over them.

The chap at BP told me to ring back in the New Year when he would have more information.

I'm wondering now what they may charge for this service,eek!

Oh dear! I rang BP the other day enquiring as to whether I could purchase stills, the one's downloadable from the site have British pathe plastered all over them.

The chap at BP told me to ring back in the New Year when he would have more information.

I'm wondering now what they may charge for this service,eek!

I think they charge rather differently for "private" and "commercial for resale" use so it might not be so bad.

Paul H

• 3 weeks later...