Tendered / Auctioned BW Moorings

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Whilst many BW tendered or auctioned moorings are being let at well over "guide price", (the price existing moorers on the site are paying), it is obvious that some go for significantly less.

Under the new open auction system, (which replaced the "tender" system), the "reserve" price is also published, indicating the minimum that BW will let it go for, (often significantly below "guide price"). The "username", (not necessarily real name), of the winning bidder is now also available after the auction closes, giving some clues as to who it might be, (particularly when the same username appears on this forum :lol: ).

I think I have spotted something......

Someone already having a boat at a mooring site, presumably under the old arrangements, bidding for a vacancy at that site, at a lower price, (probably the "reserve").

In the case I've seen they appear to have won it.

Does this mean they are terminating an existing mooring to take up the "new" one. This would seem to be a case that they take the penalty of termination, in order to get a new lower annual cost (which unlike their current mooring will remain fixed for three years).

Has anybody actually studied this approach, or is prepared to admit to trying it, please ? I can't recall seeing anything in the "rules" that prohibit it, but I don't know what the penalty might be to buy your way out of your existing agreement under the old methods.

If I'm right, will BW start writing extra conditions that stop people doing this. ? Otherwise couldn't it all get more than a bit silly ?

Whilst many BW tendered or auctioned moorings are being let at well over "guide price", (the price existing moorers on the site are paying), it is obvious that some go for significantly less.

Under the new open auction system, (which replaced the "tender" system), the "reserve" price is also published, indicating the minimum that BW will let it go for, (often significantly below "guide price"). The "username", (not necessarily real name), of the winning bidder is now also available after the auction closes, giving some clues as to who it might be, (particularly when the same username appears on this forum :lol: ).

I think I have spotted something......

Someone already having a boat at a mooring site, presumably under the old arrangements, bidding for a vacancy at that site, at a lower price, (probably the "reserve").

In the case I've seen they appear to have won it.

Does this mean they are terminating an existing mooring to take up the "new" one. This would seem to be a case that they take the penalty of termination, in order to get a new lower annual cost (which unlike their current mooring will remain fixed for three years).

Has anybody actually studied this approach, or is prepared to admit to trying it, please ? I can't recall seeing anything in the "rules" that prohibit it, but I don't know what the penalty might be to buy your way out of your existing agreement under the old methods.

If I'm right, will BW start writing extra conditions that stop people doing this. ? Otherwise couldn't it all get more than a bit silly ?

Slightly off your main point I have been on waterscape tonight and found a mooring listed on the l+l for a 21 mtr boat when the locks are only 17 and a residential mooring for a longish boat Iseem to remember at about 800 reserve am I missing something :lol:

Slightly off your main point I have been on waterscape tonight and found a mooring listed on the l+l for a 21 mtr boat when the locks are only 17 and a residential mooring for a longish boat Iseem to remember at about 800 reserve am I missing something :lol:

I love it! A full length narrowboat booked to got down the Anderton lift. The booking came back as 70' wide. Staff don't have to know anything about the canals

Sue

I don't see anything silly about it at all, or why people shouldn't do it. It simply means that market forces are prevailing, and BW have to accept this. Any attempt on their part to prohibit this I think would be laughed out of court (as several other of their actions may be, according to the latest NABO bulletin).

Mac

Conversely, a spot near me was advertised as narrowboat width, despite the fact there's already a widebeam on that section of moorings and tons of room.

There's one listed on the Macclesfield at 18 metres (59.06 feet) long and 201metres(659.45feet) wide.

https://www.bwmooringvacancies.com/search/v...sic&id=1200

Don't recall anywhere on the Macc that wide!

Interesting illustration of precision versus accuracy - lengths specified to the nearest 100th of a foot, but the accuracy.....

Edited by barge sara

There's one listed on the Macclesfield at 18 metres (59.06 feet) long and 201metres(659.45feet) wide.

https://www.bwmooringvacancies.com/search/v...sic&id=1200

Don't recall anywhere on the Macc that wide!

Interesting illustration of precision versus accuracy - lengths specified to the nearest 100th of a foot, but the accuracy.....

Erm, no, lengths specified to the nearest metre with a translation for cave dwellers.

Aye, and 150 toenails to the cubit, real cavedwellers measure. :lol:

:lol: A few years ago I was in the Faroe Islands, and was chatting to a local about his boat. It went something like this. "How long is she?"

"seven metres"

Beam?"

"five foot 6"... :lol:

When I asked why they mixed the units he shrugged and just said it was how boats were measured in the Faroes :lol:

Edited by magpie patrick

It's crossed my mind and I wouldn't have a problem with doing it.

Our tendered mooring (on the older system) is fixed price for the three years, but allows us I believe, to terminate after 6 months, with one-month-notice. I can't see what would stop us bidding and taking up another mooring offered under the new system...

PC

Our tendered mooring (on the older system) is fixed price for the three years, but allows us I believe, to terminate after 6 months, with one-month-notice.

We have also just one one in the dying moments of the 'old' "sealed bids" tender system, rather than the new more "open" auction system.

I read it much as you have - we are not actually tied to the full 3 years, once the first six months are up. The only bit I think different is that I think ours is two months notice after that, not one.

Even so, there must be a bid that is worth making each time a similar mooring comes up under the new system, just in case nobody bids higher.

I'd certainly try it, having "run the maths!".

We have also just one one in the dying moments of the 'old' "sealed bids" tender system, rather than the new more "open" auction system.

I read it much as you have - we are not actually tied to the full 3 years, once the first six months are up. The only bit I think different is that I think ours is two months notice after that, not one.

Even so, there must be a bid that is worth making each time a similar mooring comes up under the new system, just in case nobody bids higher.

Surely the rules & regs should be the same regards giving notice?

Sue

Surely the rules & regs should be the same regards giving notice?

Sue

Yes you would think so, wouldn't you!

My permit came with a poorly photocopied document...

British Waterways - Mooring Vacancies Tendering Trial

Mooring Agreement Terms and Conditions (Tendered Mooring),

19th September 2007

and says....

Termination

37, You may terminate this agreement at any time except within the first six months by giving two months written notice of termination to our local waterways office

Paul do you have a different version, and do you mind quoting exact wording, please ?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it's certainly worth a speculative bid should a new vacancy arise. Under the old tender system I was paying £1825 but I've just won a mooring in the same area with £1079! Even with having to pay the two months notice its a big saving. :lol:

It's funny thay no one else bid this time around as last summer there was about 5 people bidding for the same spot. One wonders where all the others were, is it the recession, people cheesed off with the auction system or simply the time of year? Whatever, I'm a happy man.

I really don't see anything stupid about it at all. I just wonder why people shouldn't do it. It simply means that market forces are prevailing, and BW have to accept this.

regards,

lucy

Simulation pret

And when prevailing market forces are too low BW will change it's mind and go back to the old system.

I really don't see anything stupid about it at all. I just wonder why people shouldn't do it. It simply means that market forces are prevailing, and BW have to accept this.

regards,

lucy

Simulation pret

Go on then Lucy, why do you have a link to a french web page in your signature?

Richard