Do I need a safety cert to obtain a license?

narrowboatmick

Featured Posts

I take delivery of a sailaway in early november.I intend to apply for a continueous cruiser license and fit the boat out my self whilst on the move, however after enquiring on waterscape web site I seem to need a safety cert before applying for a license.Is this the case or have I missed some thing and if this is the case do I have the boat surveyed for a safety cert then have it suveyed again once the boat is complete,thanks for reading ,Mick.

Hi, it depends what is in the boat. If you have a working engine then yes you do need a safety certificate before a licence will be issued and you need insurance. Fitting out a boat while being a ccer is not likely..

Yes it does have a working engine.I have no choice but to fit the boat out as a ccer as I have nt secured a mooring as yet.But I have in the past seen sailaways on the canal and surely they must have obtained a license?

is there some form of prelim RCD issued? which covers the bss

You should get an Annexe 3 as part of the paperwork with a sailaway. You can use that for the 1st year. I think you would need to have completed all the RCD paperwork (declaration,user guide etc) for subsequent years. Or you can get it inspected and a BSC at that point if you do not intend to flog it within 5 years.

You should get an Annexe 3 as part of the paperwork with a sailaway. You can use that for the 1st year. I think you would need to have completed all the RCD paperwork (declaration,user guide etc) for subsequent years. Or you can get it inspected and a BSC at that point if you do not intend to flog it within 5 years.

Thanks Bill, that answers my question on that one.I am visiting the boat tomorrow so I will check with the seller that the paper work is in order as i am sure it will be as the dealings with them have been exellent.Mick

Thanks Bill, that answers my question on that one.I am visiting the boat tomorrow so I will check with the seller that the paper work is in order as i am sure it will be as the dealings with them have been exellent.Mick

Give Rob at the Boat safety office a phone call. He can answer all your questions with the correct answers.

Sue

Bill is quite right. The sailaway should come with an Annex 3 declaration. That will cover your first licence. If the boat is not RCD complient after a year then you will need a BSS Cert. BSS Examiners are advised not to carry out an examination on non RCD compliant boats less than five years old unless the owner signs a declaration that does not intend to sell the boat before it is five years old.

Fitting the boat out my self whilst on the move --
-- is not likely...

What do you mean by "is not likely"?

Is it physically impossible?

Is it too much hard work?

Is it specifically prohibited?

Is it that you disapprove?

Don't be coy - tell us what is on your mind!

What do you mean by "is not likely"?

Is it physically impossible? No but will be very difficult I speak as one who has fitted out my own boat

Is it too much hard work? Yes, also logistical difficulties, Power, supplies, living in an uncompleted boat.

Is it specifically prohibited? No, but don't let your work spread on to the towpath (which is prohibited)

Is it that you disapprove? No, but if you succeed, I will be full of admiration

Don't be coy - tell us what is on your mind!

You would be better to find a boatyard/club which will let you some hardstanding with power supplies. I guess you could still live on it, you wouldn't need a licence either.

Tony.

I have fitted out my boat/am fitting out my boat whilst CCing and it is most definitely possible. It can be a pain at times but certainly not difficult. Mine is one of the longer versions and I have the luxury of a workshop at the back to do much of the work. Generator supplies electrikery and do the work in a logical order.

Do it, ignore the doom mongers and good luck. Annex 3 for the first years licence and BSC for the next four. I never bothered with RCD as it's not absolutely necessary.

Bill is quite right. The sailaway should come with an Annex 3 declaration. That will cover your first licence. If the boat is not RCD complient after a year then you will need a BSS Cert. BSS Examiners are advised not to carry out an examination on non RCD compliant boats less than five years old unless the owner signs a declaration that does not intend to sell the boat before it is five years old.

Thanks Allan, I have recieved the declaration and faxed every thing off to BW and they said every thing is in order and I have licensed the boat for a year,thanks again to every one for there help and information,mick.

I was thinking of restoring a classic car. I dont have a garage or a workshop, so I think I will do it on the side of the road, garage forecourts, motorway service stations and in the car park at Tesco!

:-)

Sounds like one of my MGs

Richard

That SU pump can stop you in some really interesting places

Sounds like one of my MGs

Richard

That SU pump can stop you in some really interesting places

Sounds as if you have the same SU pump problems as me (on a 71' :lol: - have found a conversion kit that does away with the need for points.

LEO

Sounds as if you have the same SU pump problems as me (on a 71' :lol: - have found a conversion kit that does away with the need for points.

LEO

Yes, those electronically switched ones are very nice and reliable, but you do lose out on stopping in country lanes on rainy nights when you didn't plan to...

Richard

One MG has an electronic one, the other has a Facet.

Why are examiners advised not to carry out a BSS on non RCD complant boats under 5 years old? I can't quite see the point of that. I had a BSS done on my self fitout before I launched it with no questions asked. I didn't have a Annex 3 or anything else.