Insect Bites

Geoff

Featured Posts

The little darlings seem to love me, and I frequently end up looking like a dog with fleas!, but recently have had a couple of bites that have turned nasty needing a trip to the Doctors and antibiotics.

Anybody else is suffering from more insect bites (or should that be suffering more from insect bites) than usual ?

I ‘ve tried different lotions and sprays and although some seem better that others any suggestions appreciated.

Doctor suggested antihistamines as a possible preventative and Vitamin B tablets by someone else, but knowing somebody out there may have another solution………..

Cheers

Geoff

Our daughter gets eaten every year, the little blighters just love her, and the main thing we've discovered is not to let her eat bananas. It has not solved the problem completely but it is 90% better. When she does get bitten the best thing we've found, for her, is the Savlon Insect Bite and Sting Gel.

Hope that helps

as the climate gets milder the mosquitoes will multiply and it is only a matter of time before we all have to have

malaria vaccines etc.

for those of us that travel to Africa, Asia etc we are given the treatments before we go, those that don't travel tend to get bigger problems with insects that bite.

Our daughter gets eaten every year, the little blighters just love her, and the main thing we've discovered is not to let her eat bananas. It has not solved the problem completely but it is 90% better. When she does get bitten the best thing we've found, for her, is the Savlon Insect Bite and Sting Gel.

Hope that helps

how did this come about ?

how did this come about ?

Purple Fairies sister went to Costa Rica last year and the guide at the hotel said that the banana growers never eat them as they give of an odour through the skin that attracts insects. She told us as she knows how badly the little un gets bitten and how much she loves bananas, so we thought we might as well try it. And it worked so......

I haven't noticed an increase in insects but I seem to have dozens more spiders this year than the last few. Unluckily for the spiders though, I also have a kitten who enjoys... umm... 'playing' with them until they need to take a very long rest.

I'd like to dispute the Costa Rican banana myth though as there is no evidence that eating bananas attracts mosquitoes (or any other biting bug). I practically live off bananas and eat at least one a day and am one of those lucky folk who never seem to get bitten by anything.

The little darlings seem to love me, and I frequently end up looking like a dog with fleas!, but recently have had a couple of bites that have turned nasty needing a trip to the Doctors and antibiotics.

Anybody else is suffering from more insect bites (or should that be suffering more from insect bites) than usual ?

I ‘ve tried different lotions and sprays and although some seem better that others any suggestions appreciated.

Doctor suggested antihistamines as a possible preventative and Vitamin B tablets by someone else, but knowing somebody out there may have another solution………..

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff,

I've found exactly the same. I always wear shorts and my legs look like I've got the plague. This year seems far worse than before.

Some of them have turned nasty (i recon I'll have scars for a few years from those).

Something got under my t shirt and had a biting frenzy which looked like the pattern from a shotgun, must have been at least 15 separate bites in a 3 inch circle.

Funny thing is they never touch the missus (probably too poisonous even for them )

B

I suffer really badly from insect bites and have almost been hospitalised from a spider bite that turned nasty so I'm always on the lookout for remedies and repellants.

Most of the repellants on the market contain a chemical called 'deet' which is pretty noxious and was developed for use in jungle warfare.

Some countries have banned products containing high levels of deet due to possible health risks.

I now prefer a repellant called 'Crocodile' which contains no deet and no citronella and works really well.

It smells a bit like sage to me but eucalyptus by others.

I was advised by a doctor to take allergy tablets during the summer to keep the effects of the bites to a minimum and it works for me - I'm not a doctor so can't offer advice to anyone.

GB

The biking fraternity recommends Avon's "Skin so soft" as a good insect repellant - available mail order on the web...

Nick

:lol:

So do I. Worked for the memsahib and me on holiday in India a few years ago - nothing came near us. :lol: It's a lot cheaper than most repellents too. :lol:

The biking fraternity recommends Avon's "Skin so soft" as a good insect repellant - available mail order on the web...

Nick

:lol:

My other half suffers badly with the little bu**ers biting her any time of the year. We were advise to use Avon Skin So Soft - it works a treat. We were told by an Avon lady that her customers were sending it to troops in Afghanistan, they confirm its the best. :lol:

Keith

My other half suffers badly with the little bu**ers biting her any time of the year. We were advise to use Avon Skin So Soft - it works a treat. We were told by an Avon lady that her customers were sending it to troops in Afghanistan, they confirm its the best. :lol:

Keith

I can believe what the Avon lady told you. We go to Greece twice a year and all our friends out there use it - it is one of the things we are always asked to take over for them.

I don't normally suffer from mozzie bites as I can usually resist the urge to scratch the the bite area - the mythos and ouzo helps! However, last May a did get a few nasty bites and used one of the zappers. They really do work!

Thanks for the replies guys

The Bite Zappers do work (looks a bit scary if you press the trigger when not on your skin - nice spark ! ) but quite effective. also the "after bites can be worth their weight in gold.

Off to the shops for some Avon Skin so Soft, Crocodile and some Vitamin B tablets.

Or maybe a full length diving suit :lol:

Well, some good info here. I regularly get bitten and they tend to go manky - so "skin so soft" and a zapper are on my list! I as told when I was in Venice that eating lots of garlic helps. Not so as you'd notice - but I think the locals thought I had a vampire phobia!

Thanks - good thread!

Stickleback