nb CLENT

soldthehouse

Featured Posts

Hello everyone couldnot wait to get home and post these pics. Done 730 miles since this time yesterday. Went to Aylesbury then Andover then via the Caen Hill Flight by chance and came across Clent an ex fmc boat, before stopping at Calne and then Gloucester and then the long haul up the M6 home, anyway enough of my drivel can anyone shed some light on Clent asI have fallen in love with this boat

10-11-08_0905.jpg

10-11-08_0906.jpg

Edited by soldthehouse

Hello everyone couldnot wait to get home and post these pics. Done 730 miles since this time yesterday. Went to Aylesbury then Andover then via the Caen Hill Flight by chance and came across Clent an ex fmc boat, before stopping at Calne and then Gloucester and then the long haul up the M6 home, anyway enough of my drivel can anyone shed some light on Clent asI have fallen in love with this boat

When I last encountered CLENT several years ago it belonged to a lass called ALI. I am sure she sold it on and I last heard of ALI partnering Peter Hawker on Bletchley and Argus. Enquiries with Peter may get you further.

George ex nb Alton retired

When I last encountered CLENT several years ago it belonged to a lass called ALI. I am sure she sold it on and I last heard of ALI partnering Peter Hawker on Bletchley and Argus. Enquiries with Peter may get you further.

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks for that. Are there many "as original" as clent appears as i have little experience of real boats.

Jesus that looks very sad.

I've got a couple of pictures Malcolm took after he had restored it when it looked beautiful. Though it still looks much better now than it did when he got it.

It was tidy when Ali had it, though she spent her money on where it mattered, the hull.

clent.jpg

Not that long ago.

Sad to see the other photos.

Ahh yes, "shiny boat syndrome".

I'm reminded of a similar thread about the Thomas Clayton Tar Boat "Towy":

Boats on the Decline

and a subsequent thread:

Towy

Unfortunately Liam's removed his photos but it is evident that one docking has polished her up a lot.

There are many shiny wooden boats out there that I would pass over, if given the opportunity to own Clent.

She has been cared for by someone who loved her, and worked on by someone who I regard as one of the best wooden narrow boat restorers and I could solve a scabby paint job in a fortnight.

Why should it be either?

It might be merely 'work in progress'.

Fair point.

It was the grass growing from the gunnels that made me think that. Counter also looks very low. Full of water low.

She has been cared for by someone who loved her, and worked on by someone who I regard as one of the best wooden narrow boat restorers and I could solve a scabby paint job in a fortnight.

Good to know that underneath is still a good boat for someone!

Edited by Satellite

It was the grass growing from the gunnels that made me think that.

Looking out the window I can see my lawn needs mowing (quite badly), doesn't mean the house is falling down, though :lol:

It's difficult to tell in the OP's shots but, looking at Admiral's photo taken "not that long ago", she looks dead straight, without the hint of a hog.

That's a well kept boat ready for a paint job, in my book.

Edited by carlt

Spiders never fail to amaze me at their ability to bridge almost impossible places! It (they) must have planted one end on the staging, took a look around, decided on a second point of anchorage, then worked out the direction in which to proceed to reach it without the silk getting stuck or hung up anywhere in between. Absolutely amazing.

Is this off topic? Where am I? :lol:

Looking out the window I can see my lawn needs mowing (quite badly), doesn't mean the house is falling down, though :lol:

That's a well kept boat ready for a paint job, in my book.

Aah! But if it was growing from your window frames?

That grass is being fed by decomposing timber as well as dust and accumulated wind blown dirt. Still, nothing that cannot be sorted out, but it does need sorting out before another season passes.

Derek

Counter also looks very low. Full of water low.

Rubbish.

You can plainly see a gap in one of the photos between the bottom of the counter and the water.

Carl is right, I have seen Clent not a year ago and despite needing a paint job (read someone living on it) it's in very good nick indeed including the cloths.

A paint job would make for a very fine wooden boat.

Aah! But if it was growing from your window frames?

Then the cabin needs some remedial attention, though I have seen grass growing from aluminium window frames.

The cabin is irrelevant to the overall condition of a wooden boat.

I'd rather have a completely cabinless Clent than Raymond, in all its gory.

Compared to the other shot, there's a few ton of something in there.

If the boat is currently unoccupied then having a load on board is probably the best way to preserve it, especially if the load is water.

If she is inhabited then ballast and personal possessions could easily trim her out by that much.

Edited by carlt

Lawn mowing is a tedious job that can be curtailed by the generous application of slabs.

Maybe if you found a motor mower with an engine that went phut-phut-phut-phut-phut.......

Lawn mowing is good therapy. If your teenage daughter comes and tells you she's pregnant the best response is. "I'm going to mow the lawn".