NB Whitefield for sale

Paul H

Featured Posts

The most annoying aspect of this whole bt business is the effect that they have upon other boats etc. esp. as this lack of boating skills is often accompanied by excessive revving of the engine. Having just 'done' the Trent I have to say that narrowboaters on the whole have far inferior boathandling skills to the plastic boaters - and that of course includes me for putting a big dent in the sheet piling at Keadby Lock. I appreciate that plasticv boat are on the whole more suited to these waters but it seems that narrowboaters take little notice of their boats shortcomoings.

How? Keadby is one of the easy ones.

How much would it cost to cut out 15ft so it could be used all over the system?

If they can't sell it they can ship it over to us Yanks. We will boat in almost anything.

I do like it when someone stretches the envelope like this. It gives us ideas to try in a more reaonable manner.

Edited by loner

I actually quite like it, as a design exercise. It reminds me of a Wurlitzer Juke Box or Ford Thunderbird.

1959_Ford_Thunderbird_Convertible.jpg

It just doesn't work as a canal boat.

There is far too many fragile bits around its extrmities that are asking to be knocked off by a lock, bridge hole or party boat.

Seaview

"I think in both cases that an aluminum boat would have been undented"

You do! I don't!

I wouldn't have had an opinion either way before I saw this dented boat.

And you'd be wrong. As I commented on another thread, my Sea Otter was rammed on the North Oxford by an oncoming boat who was certainly doing well above 4mph. Despite my best efforts at avoiding him, he kept steering directly at me. The force of the impact nearly knocked me off my feet. When I recovered and peered over the side, I expected a huge dent but there was nothing except a mark on the paintwork.

His shouted explanation for his behaviour appeared to be that canals are V shaped and that he couldn't move to the side. As by the point of impact, we were well out of the centre channel and nearly to the bank, this didn't make much sense to me. In fact I was so surprised, I just stood there gazing after him with my mouth open. All those witty things that I could have said only occurred to me later.

As I watched him go on his way, his wife appeared to be giving him an ear full and he proceeded to ram the bank. I'll be charitable and assume that he had a technical fault with his steering.......... :lol:

I've also been rammed from the rear whilst moored. That was a hire boat so I accept that was inexperience. Although a 'sorry' would have been nice..... :lol: But again only a scratch.

So whatever the Sea Otter did to get the dent that you saw, it must have been VERY spectacular. In general the aluminium alloy used is more 'springy' than steel.

As for the concept that they are unsuited to canals.........well there are a lot of them out there going round the system and I've not seen a dented one yet. I've seen plenty of dents on steel boats though. :lol:

So whatever the Sea Otter did to get the dent that you saw, it must have been VERY spectacular. In general the aluminium alloy used is more 'springy' than steel.

Have to agree with you. Know the owners of a couple of sea otters and both have only got minor scrapes in the paint and both admitt to have being rammed by steel narrowboats on occasion.

• 1 year later...

In one sense i feel sorry for them, but if you buck convention, then you risk the fact that if either you ddidnt really like the hobby or find that the extreme of the design dosnt work then you have blown the majority of your dosh,,, more of a 80% devaluation,,,,

it becomes a base line - a boat of ex length that sleeps X,,,,, end off discusion.. its in the bargin basement to some one who dosnt give a stuff on its looks...

Whitefield has left the marina where we moor our boat.

Apparently the owners have taken it to the Thames to try to sell it. *

Hope they got through Blisworth and Braunston tunnels without damaging the electronic cratch cover!!!

* Seems I have been mis informed as to its whereabouts

Edit 16.51 17.10.10

Try this link http://ubc.previewurl.com/stock.asp

Edited by Ray T

* Seems I have been mis informed as to its whereabouts

Edit 16.51 17.10.10

Try this link http://ubc.previewurl.com/stock.asp

So is Whitefield supposed to be somewhere amongst the 10 pages of boats that liunk brings up ?

If so I can't see it.

Any chance of a direct link to just the boat being talked about ?

• Greenie 1

So is Whitefield supposed to be somewhere amongst the 10 pages of boats that liunk brings up ?

If so I can't see it.

I would guess given NB whitfield has arrived at our marina yesteray the brokers will need a few days to take pics, compile a descriptiion etc etc.

They are pretty thorough and will present any boat they sell in their best light.

I think Rays link was an out of date archive link back to the N&UB co.

Edited by MJG

If so I can't see it.

Order by Highest Price first and it the second one!

Edit to say, ignore me, I was looking at the wrong one. Was too quick to type!

Edited by GeoffS

Website is now up and running again and she's still not showing, even under the new arrivals.

We are at our boat this next week - might pop in a put in a cheeky offer - quite fancey a fleet of NB's not just one -

woops site now not working - guess I was looking at a cached version of the page.....I suspect all the electronic trickery aboard Whitefield is messing with their server....

Edited by MJG