Built Nice House by Canal

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

my view of southampton water is similar to the view of the sea in faulty towers

can i therefore object to those bloo... big cruise liners blocking my view of southampton?

Be careful. You may be charged for this beneficial service.

Richard

Anyway, how is having a boat moored at (or is it opposite, even?) the end of their garden any kind of threat to their privacy? It's not like anyone's going to go up and peer in their windows.

The daft thing is, this house has huuuuge floor-to-ceiling windows all around the ground floor, and not a curtain or blind to be seen on the whole property. I go past about once a week and I can't help but have a bit of a nose, but I've never seen anyone about.

I'm inclined to believe they're exhibitionists, and the signs asking to 'respect privacy' are just some perverted kind of tease tease to encourage onlookers. Except I really doubt there's anything interesting enough about them to make it worth getting the binoculars out.

If you only think you have baling twine, round the prop, is it "string theory"?

...and if you thought you had a higher quality grade of string, lets say a stout hemp sheet around your prop, would this be Super String Theory?

The daft thing is, this house has huuuuge floor-to-ceiling windows all around the ground floor, and not a curtain or blind to be seen on the whole property. I go past about once a week and I can't help but have a bit of a nose, but I've never seen anyone about.

I'm inclined to believe they're exhibitionists, and the signs asking to 'respect privacy' are just some perverted kind of tease tease to encourage onlookers. Except I really doubt there's anything interesting enough about them to make it worth getting the binoculars out.

Hmm, well then, if they want privacy they could make a bit more effort on their own behalf, by the sound of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just moored up for the night, our batteries were really flat when we set off at lunchtime, so I've had to moor up and leave the engine running in neutral (for about an hour) to wait for the alternator controller to go onto float.

Just gone out to switch the engine off and got a round of applause from behind a tall garden gate. :lol:

Just moored up for the night, our batteries were really flat when we set off at lunchtime, so I've had to moor up and leave the engine running in neutral (for about an hour) to wait for the alternator controller to go onto float.

Just gone out to switch the engine off and got a round of applause from behind a tall garden gate. :lol:

Turn the engine back on.

There are several more hours of running time available still.

Turn the engine back on.

There are several more hours of running time available still.

Anyone living next to a canal deserves due neighbourly consideration, just as do the people on the next boat. Some boaters do treat canalside dwellings as 'part of the furniture' rather than peoples' homes.

I'm sure this unthinking behaviour of a few boaters prompts some of the 'no mooring' agenda of some canaside dwellers. Me, I just have a high hedge and let them get on with it but I'd certainly feel grumpy if someone tied outside my house & left their engine running for hours especially if it were noisy or smoky, and even more so if they could easily have tied away from the house. Some people do seem to 'choose' to tie outside houses when there are miles of empty canal available, maybe they feel insecure otherwise?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Two instances this summer:

On the Shroppie near High Offley, last year the new owners of the Wharf house put up signs asking people not to moor on the towpath opposite, even though it 's an official 48 hour mooring with rings. It's slightly improved this year, now the signs are only opposite that section of the towpath which is beyond the 48-hour moorings (ie it is by default a 14-day mooring) but the 48-hour mooring was full so that is where we moored overnight.

On the Macclesfield the new owner of an old mill building objects to the 48-hour moorings on the towpath outside his property (I believe it's offices, but I'm not certain) so he has hack-sawed through the all rings, at least twice I was told. Anybody who has the cheek to try and stop there is subjected to considerable verbal encouragement to moor somewhere else.

Edited by Keeping Up

Anyone living next to a canal deserves due neighbourly consideration, just as do the people on the next boat. Some boaters do treat canalside dwellings as 'part of the furniture' rather than peoples' homes.

I'm sure this unthinking behaviour of a few boaters prompts some of the 'no mooring' agenda of some canaside dwellers. Me, I just have a high hedge and let them get on with it but I'd certainly feel grumpy if someone tied outside my house & left their engine running for hours especially if it were noisy or smoky, and even more so if they could easily have tied away from the house. Some people do seem to 'choose' to tie outside houses when there are miles of empty canal available, maybe they feel insecure otherwise?

Tim

Due neighbourly consideration means abiding by the rules, and not running engines late.

Running as little as possible is going the extra mile, and in my book it is a quid pro quo.

If I minimise my engine running to be nice to a householder on the bank, I do not expect sarcasm about the amount I have run it. If I get sarcasm, I will no longer go the extra mile.

In Oxford they have BW signs saying you are not allowed to run engines whilst moored.. I had to as my batterys went flat. A lady in a house near came out and nagged at me :lol:

Do they say not allowed, or do they ASK that you run engines elsewhere?

I think the people putting up those signs have a perfectly, reasonabley grounded point.

The same point that sits on their head in between their eyes and is commonly referred to as a d%ck :lol:

Wonder how they would react to a written request to purchase a small plot of land at the end of the garden for a winding hole?

Lets face it, though, you have to feel for anyone who decides to spend their spare time constructing fake gatsos, what kind of hell-state must they be in?

I'd be interested to know how they painted the white lines on the canal though.

In Oxford they have BW signs saying you are not allowed to run engines whilst moored.. I had to as my batterys went flat. A lady in a house near came out and nagged at me :lol:

I wonder how all the long term moorers get on along there. I would have thought the noise from the railway would be more intrusive

Is this a bye-law?

No.

In my experience, most official signs of this sort ASK that engines not be run out of consideration. They are usually erected by BW as a sop to somebody with a canalside house who has complained a lot.

They do not prohibit anything.

It's great when people moor opposite us - general results a good bit of banter starting with 'you need to get a boat for that mooring'........ah well and the chat starts.

Problem wise, we have only had one continuous moorer who stayed for 4 weeks opposite and ran their diesel generator til after midnight and despite polite requests wouldn't budge.

It's great when people moor opposite us - general results a good bit of banter starting with 'you need to get a boat for that mooring'........ah well and the chat starts.

Problem wise, we have only had one continuous moorer who stayed for 4 weeks opposite and ran their diesel generator til after midnight and despite polite requests wouldn't budge.

To be fair, I think where we are moored right now, there have been antisocial boaters. But I wish they hadn't implied that I was being a pest, I only ran the engine for an hour at about 3pm. I have a genny. I could've run it here, but I don't on busy moorings or near houses.

My old marina neighbour had a huge noisy deisel genny. So big and noisy, it used to be placed right at the edge of the marina, by a fence and was screened. She ran it 7 x days a week, from about 5pm til 1am. Until I visited this forum, I had no idea you weren't supposed to do this. I never complained because it honestly never distrubed me, but I wonder if it bothered anyone else?

Edited by Lady Muck

Best thing I've seen on this trip was a fake speed camera with a fake BW logo on it at the end of someones garden on the Trent and Mersey. Couldn't decide whether they were having a laugh or deadly serious.

I'm sure that one is a mickey take, and I thought it quite well done! It may be the same people whose narrowboat, if you read the beautifully hand-painted lettering carefully, says "Registered in Guantanamo Bay" :lol: