Built Nice House by Canal

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Anyway, how is having a boat moored at (or is it opposite, even?) the end of their garden any kind of threat to their privacy?
Maybe one or both have high powered jobs and he has an alter ego as Master Xeon and he wears a gimp mask? maybe?

What's all this "7 pages" lark? I've only got 4 pages here (and only a few posts so far on the 4th page). Now up to 127 messages.

Do some of you have fewer posts per page than I do, or is someone stealing messages before they get to me?

It seems there's an option to change the number of posts per page (normally 20) on the "My controls" page.

Someone posted a message saying the thread was closed, without having any actual authority to close it. Now I think people are going out of their way to moor their posts in this thread purely to prove a point. :lol:

Someone posted a message saying the thread was closed, without having any actual authority to close it. Now I think people are going out of their way to moor their posts in this thread purely to prove a point. :lol:

Ironically it was the person who declared the thread closed who is carrying out the pointless page count.

His motives remain unclear.

Motives . . .erm . . . I don't need motives, I've been using the canals since they were just puddles I'll have you know sonny jim

Not sure what that means.

Does boating experience mean your posts counting the pages are any less cryptic?

If so my first trip on the canals was several years before you were born, Daddy mick.

Edited by carlt

i agree with some of his argument, in fact some parts of the entire argument. I just don't agree with the way some of the posters on this thread feel these people need to be made to feel more miserable for what seems such a minor 'offence'

The point is that it is an unreasonable request.

If being able to see people makes them miserable, they must buy a larger property such that nobody can get close enough to their windows to be seen.

What on earth makes him imagine that it is reasonable to ask people not to remain adjacent to his property?

Just as soon as he gets his head around the idea that it isn't reasonable, he will find that talk of deliberately tweaking his nose goes away.

Interesting that early on in this topic, you claimed not to know the guy, now you say that you don't "really" know him.

So, just how do you not really know him?

Captain of a golf club you want to join?

Masonic lodge?

Senior manager you want to brown nose?

The point is that it is an unreasonable request.

If being able to see people makes them miserable, they must buy a larger property such that nobody can get close enough to their windows to be seen.

What on earth makes him imagine that it is reasonable to ask people not to remain adjacent to his property?

Just as soon as he gets his head around the idea that it isn't reasonable, he will find that talk of deliberately tweaking his nose goes away.

Interesting that early on in this topic, you claimed not to know the guy, now you say that you don't "really" know him.

So, just how do you not really know him?

Captain of a golf club you want to join?

Masonic lodge?

Senior manager you want to brown nose?

I though he wasn't sure if he knew him

Funnily enough i worked with the mother of another resident in those flats. They paid a fee for the moorings on the flats side as part of their service charge so as to prevent people mooring there; assuming they are on the site of the old mill

What is the point of that?

If a long term mooring is unoccupied then there is nothing to stop you mooring up for 14 days.

Long term moorings have no protection, under law, you pay for a space, along a length of canal, not a specific spot.

Can i put a sign outside my house to ask people not to live in the houses opposite as they are ruining my privacy?

Of course you can!

You'd get the same response as the majority of posters, on this thread, though.

If a long term mooring is unoccupied then there is nothing to stop you mooring up for 14 days.

Long term moorings have no protection, under law, you pay for a space, along a length of canal, not a specific spot.

Is this really true? So all the times we've been looking for a mooring for the night and passed by an inviting space because it was part of a stretch of long-term moorings, we could legally have moored there? I didn't know that.

Could have been tricky if the regular moorer had come back at 11p.m., mind.

My bedroom window overlooks the Tyne.

Every other morning this damn great ship 'King of Scandanavia' comes up the river and moors just opposite, stays all day then with a great deal of noise and blowing of sirens, turns round and cruises back down the river in the evening. On the alternate days its the 'Princess of Norway' doing the same thing! I'm sure they only do it to annoy.

Think I'll put up a sign asking them not to.....

Is this really true? So all the times we've been looking for a mooring for the night and passed by an inviting space because it was part of a stretch of long-term moorings, we could legally have moored there? I didn't know that.

I was moored on the Long Term moorings at Hillmorton, on my way to Charity Dock, when the patrol officer turned up, following a tip-off from a concerned member of the public, that my boat wasn't licensed.

We were having a pleasant chat with when the engineer, who accompanied her, piped up that we shouldn't be damaging the tow path, with mooring pins, when BW had been good enough to provide rings.

When I pointed out that the rings were 60' apart and our boats were 72' long he said "You shouldn't be moored here anyway, they're reserved for long term moorers!".

At which point the patrol officer stepped in (seeing the steam starting to bubble) and pointed out that there is no law preventing anyone mooring on a vacant LT mooring for the 14 days that apply anywhere else on the system.

When I had a tow path mooring I regularly returned to find it occupied.

I'd moor up nearby and, when they left, take back my space.

It was never a big deal and, if they'd have still been there on day 15, I'd have had a word.

Not sure what that means.

Does boating experience mean your posts counting the pages are any less cryptic?

No. I think. Erm. :lol:

No Dave, I don't know them. I have acknowledged them, on occasion, whilst cruising up and down the Lancaster. The bloke from the house also offered to help when I had a string incident. What an evil homeowner with no time for boats he is.

My bedroom window overlooks the Tyne.

Every other morning this damn great ship 'King of Scandanavia' comes up the river and moors just opposite, stays all day then with a great deal of noise and blowing of sirens, turns round and cruises back down the river in the evening. On the alternate days its the 'Princess of Norway' doing the same thing! I'm sure they only do it to annoy.

Think I'll put up a sign asking them not to.....

Mint...vey jelous