Shoulder pain

homer2911

Featured Posts

Having cured my plantar faciitus (don't ask - just see the earlier thread!) I find I now have a persistent shoulder pain.

Had it over three weeks, a fairly concentrated pain in the muscle around the middle of the shoulder blade. At its worst, it extends down the arm like a neuralgia effect. We've been out for over a month, and I'll go to the quack at the first opportunity when we get home next week. I rested it for a week at Cropredy, and even went to an osteopath there, who gave it a going over. It just hasn't lessened in intensity, although the frequency of its effect has now diminished.

Point of raising it here is this - someone I spoke to mentioned, in all seriousness, something he had suffered from called 'steerer's shoulder'. Anyone heard of that?

Having cured my plantar faciitus (don't ask - just see the earlier thread!) I find I now have a persistent shoulder pain.

Had it over three weeks, a fairly concentrated pain in the muscle around the middle of the shoulder blade. At its worst, it extends down the arm like a neuralgia effect. We've been out for over a month, and I'll go to the quack at the first opportunity when we get home next week. I rested it for a week at Cropredy, and even went to an osteopath there, who gave it a going over. It just hasn't lessened in intensity, although the frequency of its effect has now diminished.

Point of raising it here is this - someone I spoke to mentioned, in all seriousness, something he had suffered from called 'steerer's shoulder'. Anyone heard of that?

Can't say I have but I guess it's some form RSI .

Have you tried acupuncture ? Works a treat for muscle pain but I cant stress clearly enough to find a registered practitioner.

Could it be a "frozen shoulder"?

The memsahib suffered from this a few years ago and was only sorted by an osteopath over several months' treatment. All the doctor could offer was an anti-inflammatory which did nothing. It seemed to have been caused by poor posture sitting at a desk without moving around enough.

I was seeing a consultant in the hospital about a stomach problem when out of the blue he asked if i was getting shoulder pain that went down my arm , had no idea why but he must have had a reason to ask that but i was not suffering with the shoulder pain and this was put in the notes.

It could be related to lots of things as a sympton or just a problem in the muscle where the pain exists

Not heard it - suffered it, even though I tried to steer from the other side every so often.

I think its related to how lively the tiller is and that tends to be speed dependant so maybe you are going a bit fast on some waters.

This year, after 3 & 2 weeks on the boat, far far less problem shoulder pain. However I think fitting another prop could be said to be an extreme treatment :lol:

If it comes and goes (especially with exertion) then, as Gaggle suggests, it might not necessarily be musculo-skeletal. Certainly worth checking out with the quack as soon as you get home. Don't worry too much though, cos a qualified osteopath should have picked this up if it is the case.

If you Google "shoulder pain" there's a whole range of possible ailments that can be the cause.

I've also been suffering shoulder pain since mid-July after a day in which I helped clear a fallen tree from the canal even though I didn't notice any specific injury at the time. The pain is a fairly constant dull ache most days but extending down the arm on other days and also includes some slight numbness and tingling in the fingers. I don't think the cause can be related to steering as I mostly hold the tiller with the other hand. I'd be more inclined to relate it to excess use of a computer trackpoint, but I don't know if this is a factor, it's just whenever I use the computer it tends to make it ache more!

I was eventually able to visit the doctor last week and have been prescribed anti-inflammatory pills which have largely removed the pain, but not the tingling/numbness in the fingers. I was told the cause was "muscle inflammation" and that it would heal eventually, but was not given any specific timeframe. The pills last about a month so I'll go and see him after that if it is not any better.

I'm guessing, but do you have a trad stern with high tiller? The tiller height with a lot of modern boats looks most uncomfortable

Hi,

Sounds a bit like a condition I have had a couple of times.....

Supraspinatus tendonitis

Google it and it'll tell you its the inflammation of the tendon that runs under the shoulder blade. I had Anti inflammatories first then a steroid injection that sorted it until I started playing football again which brought it back so I 'retired' (Alex keeps calling but I don't answer anymore)

Nev

Amputate.

Try working locks instead of holding your knob?

Sue

:lol:

I'm guessing, but do you have a trad stern with high tiller? The tiller height with a lot of modern boats looks most uncomfortable

Nah - cruiser stern with a comfortable height of tiller suited to the seat

SWMBO complained of finding steering uncomfortable, even stood on a raised platform.

She insists on steering with top part of arm, from the shoulder, nearly horizontal, and the lower arm vertical, holding the tiller.

I steer with top half of my arm vertical and lower half horizontal, almost hugging the tiller, but I can also steer with the lower half of the arm at right angles to the tiller.

I've been steering boats for 25 or more years and have never had any discomfort from it that I'm aware of. SWMBO has only been steering for a short while (and infrequently) so that may be the cause of her problems.

Don't know if that helps?

Can you predict the effect of steering with the tiller in the small of you back while holding a cup of tea and a bacon buttie?

Richard

Interestingly, the pilot who took us down the MSC steered with the tiller behind him held in either hand

Can you predict the effect of steering with the tiller in the small of you back while holding a cup of tea and a bacon buttie?

Richard

I recall in another thread that Richard spotted me on the N. Stratford with a party of young carers. If he had spotted me about an hour later I would have been caught steering with the tiller in the small of my back whilst holding a cup of tea and trying to eat baked beans on toast (without a knife and fork).

Who says men can't multi task?

Richard

Interestingly, the pilot who took us down the MSC steered with the tiller behind him held in either hand

A friend has complained of the same thing recently, they have recently bought a boat which has an 'over-balanced' rudder. In other words, the balance flight is too big and it doesn't self-centre, has to be pulled back all the time. That's a strong suspect as the cause.

Tim

A friend has complained of the same thing recently, they have recently bought a boat which has an 'over-balanced' rudder. In other words, the balance flight is too big and it doesn't self-centre, has to be pulled back all the time. That's a strong suspect as the cause.

Tim

Hi Tim.

I don't have a problem with our tiller or rudder, I was just commenting on some of the "alternative" steering methods available.

Allan is clearly more experienced than me. I can manage closed sandwiches and only get bacon fat or egg yoke down my front. Trying to balance stuff on a piece of toast is too advanced for me yet.

Richard

I recall in another thread that Richard spotted me on the N. Stratford with a party of young carers. If he had spotted me about an hour later I would have been caught steering with the tiller in the small of my back whilst holding a cup of tea and trying to eat baked beans on toast (without a knife and fork).

Who says men can't multi task?

Its women who cant multitask, {awaits incoming} :lol:

Hi Tim.

I don't have a problem with our tiller or rudder, I was just commenting on some of the "alternative" steering methods available.

Allan is clearly more experienced than me. I can manage closed sandwiches and only get bacon fat or egg yoke down my front. Trying to balance stuff on a piece of toast is too advanced for me yet.

Richard

My point was really (not aimed at you) that if your rudder doesn't self-centre fairly well, you'll really struggle to steer with your back. I suspect also that it'll make it harder to 'feel' the channel if the boat has any substantial draught.

Tim

Richard

Actually, I cheat when no one is watching by sticking my face in the plate of baked beans on toast and suck.......

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)