It's all go, but what have I forgotten?

deletedaccount

Featured Posts

This time next week I'll hopefully be sitting in my lovely (nearly) new boat.

I've just gone to craftinsure and bought insurance and I'm sending off the licence form to BW tomorrow.

I've taken the boat out for a spin and it's got windlasses, ropes and mooring pins. No plank though, which I'll need on the K&A. I'm going to top up with fuel and water when I collect the boat.

I understand I will need some BW keys? Where do I get them from?

Anything else I need to check/buy/fill in?

I've just gone to craftinsure and bought insurance and I'm sending off the licence form to BW tomorrow.

I've taken the boat out for a spin and it's got windlasses, ropes and mooring pins. No plank though, which I'll need on the K&A. I'm going to top up with fuel and water when I collect the boat.

BWkeys from chandlers. Check oil levels in engine/gearbox. Hammer for mooring pins. Bottle opener/corkscrew.

Gas bottles full ?

Grease for the stern gland ?

Batteries charging ok ?

Check engine and gearbox oil

Check cooling water level

Chimney "hat" to keep the rain out

Wet weather clothes

Spouse/partner/cat on board ?

..... Away you go .... Have fun ! .... (and don't forget to untie before setting off) :lol:

Nicholsons guide for the canal - for your area it's book 7 - it's kind of like an A-Z for canals and has alot of boaters info such as where you can find marinas and what services they have. Also has some navigation notes. It's based on Ordnance Survey Maps.

If your windlass is steel - get a magnet so you can retrieve it when you've dropped it in.

Floating keyring for your BW /boat key.

That's all I can think of for now, but yes waterproofs, definately. I never really had a need for waterproofs or wellies before I got the boat, but now, I manage to actually wear wellies out and need new ones!

I think there's a BW office halfway up the Caen Hill flight just below Devizes - there certainly was in 2001 last time we went that way.

An alternative to Nicholson's Guide is the rather livelier Pearson's Canal Companion series of guide books.

..... Away you go .... Have fun ! .... (and don't forget to untie before setting off) :lol:

...and the land line if you've got one! I was once amazed at how hard I could rev the engine (thinking I was stuck on the bottom) when it was only the mains electrickery cable holding me back!

Edited by NB Watersnail

use a friend of relative, or use a PO box. You can also have your post sent to a postoffice.

That makes sense. I'll have to persuade one of my mates.

Cheers.

Gas bottle spanner?

er. it may have one, I've got no idea. I don't even know what they look like.

I'll have a check when I get there :lol:

That makes sense. I'll have to persuade one of my mates.

Dunno about anyone else but we barely get any post now. No gas, phone or electric bills obviously! I bank with First Direct and get all my statements and letters online and then print them off. Same for my mobile phone bill, check. Most of that stuff you can opt out of paper statements. Some boaters I know use a work address for their other post.

http://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/

Well worth the money!

GB

oh yes. I'm def signing up for that! Anyone got a 'discount' code?

When this is all done and dusted I think I'm going to write it up for the faq, cos I bet you've all answered everything I've ever asked a million times before :lol:

*goes of to start how should I plan my journey thread*

Edited by deletedaccount

Ok, so now I'm really nervous. I'll be able to take the boat some time in tomorrow afternoon when the money has cleared. I've set myself a fairly easy goal of reaching the visitor moorings on the kennet near bridge 14 (burghfield), which is three locks and three miles away from where the boat currently is (thames and kennet marina).

The thing is, my mate is unable to come now, which means I'm going to have to do it by myself. I've never put a boat through a lock in my life. The first lock is manned by the EA, but the others aren't!

Tips, reassurance etc? Help!

Edited by deletedaccount

Just take your time.

Make sure you always have a rope nearby, connected to the boat. It doesn't matter if the boat wanders a bit provided you can pull it back again. It's if it buggers off on its own and you can't get it back that there's a problem!

I dunno how busy it is down your way but there are normally plenty of boaters around at this time of year, so you may well have some assistance at the locks. Remember, though, it's your boat - don't let anybody rush you.