Insurance for a Springer

ambuvanner

Featured Posts

Am contemplating buying a 90's Springer. Phoned Saga for a quote and they require a full out of water survey in order to insure. Do all insurance companies require this does anyone know? I know perhaps not wise but due to the value of the boat being only around £10 and looking at it's overall condition I was thinking of NOT having a survey. Any wise words most welcomed or names of suitable insurers. Thanks.

.............but due to the value of the boat being only around £10..................

I'm hoping this is a serious question, but it seems a strange one

What did you tell Saga was the value of the boat, and how much did you ask to insure it for ?

They can't get many requests for cover with the value quoted as a tenner, I'd have thought.

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm hoping this is a serious question, but it seems a strange one

What did you tell Saga was the value of the boat, and how much did you ask to insure it for ?

They can't get many requests for cover with the value quoted as a tenner, I'd have thought.

LOL Sorry yes it's serious and of course I meant £10k and I told them a tiny bit more......as you do.

LOL Sorry yes it's serious and of course I meant £10k and I told them a tiny bit more......as you do.

Fair enough - I was not taking the Mick, but a sensible amount allows someone to answer better.

The truth is, I don't know, but I'm kind of surprised, as I was not aware Saga routinely ask for a survey.

If it's genuinely 1990s, (and I believe many Springers claimed to be are not), then I would have thought you could find an insurer that didn't insist on a survey.

However even at £10K, I'd not risk buying a boat that is at least 16 years old with no hull survey - but I'm a coward like that.

What shape is the counter stern, and roof of this particular Springer ?

Fair enough - I was not taking the Mick, but a sensible amount allows someone to answer better.

The truth is, I don't know, but I'm kind of surprised, as I was not aware Saga routinely ask for a survey.

If it's genuinely 1990s, (and I believe many Springers claimed to be are not), then I would have thought you could find an insurer that didn't insist on a survey.

However even at £10K, I'd not risk buying a boat that is at least 16 years old with no hull survey - but I'm a coward like that.

What shape is the counter stern, and roof of this particular Springer ?

I thought the same regarding SAGA as when I got a quote from them for a boat we were going to buy last year (1982 Colecraft) they said they would not need a survey. They need a survey now though as it's a Springer... different,very very different. I haven't got the quote yet as they needed to refer it to an underwriter at Lloyds and will ring me tomorrow. I believe it's genuine 1991 by looking at all the history with it including the original invoice from Thornycroft for the engine to Springers. Stern is rounded and roof curved with a small front well deck. 26 foot length.

Yes, it sounds genuine enough, particularly if you have seen the engine invoice.

So about 18 years ?

Just keep trying other insurers, I guess, if you decide you don't want a survey before purchase.

Personally I wouldn't touch any boat that age without one, Springer, or otherwise.

Unless you are a welder ? :lol:

I really dont understand why folk have a downer on springers if they were as bad as folk made out there would be sunk springers all over the cut there are loads of them about and still floating

I really dont understand why folk have a downer on springers if they were as bad as folk made out there would be sunk springers all over the cut there are loads of them about and still floating

A fair point but, if you know where to look, there are an awful lot in yards, waiting to be cut up.

The high survival rate may have more to do with the numbers churned out, rather than their longevity.

Put this in to context. The OP's found a 26' Springer for £10K. Its got a Thornycroft engine, about 18 years old.

He's happy with not having a full hull survey and even if it did need replating (which we don't know if it does or not). He only paid £10K for it in the first place.

All he want's to do is to insure it without having to shell out probably over £1,000 in cranage and a full structural survey fee's.

There are other insurance companies out there other than Saga

:lol: Very true

I am afraid its often called snobbery ! I have never owned a springer but know many who have and they are a great vfm way of getting afloat and long may they live

:lol: Very true

I am afraid its often called snobbery ! I have never owned a springer but know many who have and they are a great vfm way of getting afloat and long may they live

No, I'm not a welder... a gambler maybe. The boat certainly looks well preserved and cared for and has an original interior. My thoughts coincided with an earlier post in that it is a budget way to get afloat and I didn't want to pay the best part of £1000 to be told what my eyes are already telling me. It's a risk I am prepared to take. So if anyone has info on other insurance companies who don't adopt the same rule as SAGA, I'd be obliged.

Slippage of almost £300 and Surveyor say £500 plus for a full out of water survey is still the best part of a grand. Saga would insist on a full out of water.

Our surveyor was only £200 and we had the hull blacked at the same time (after the survey of course) so slippage didn't count.

T :lol:

Im with craft insure. All done on-line

clicky

Not sure what they're like as I've never made a claim

We're with them too, and they require you to hold a hull survey if the boat is 31yrs or over - hence the reason we had one done last year! :lol:

PC

I'm with Saga, and they just renew, and I have a 1989 Springer Water Bug. It did have a full survey when I first got the boat, but that's almost 4 years ago now, and I don't remember them asking to see it. Perhaps my memory, but I think I would remember having to post such a document.....

Am contemplating buying a 90's Springer. Phoned Saga for a quote and they require a full out of water survey in order to insure. Do all insurance companies require this does anyone know? I know perhaps not wise but due to the value of the boat being only around £10 and looking at it's overall condition I was thinking of NOT having a survey. Any wise words most welcomed or names of suitable insurers. Thanks.

I insure my boat through DRL Marine they are an arm of Northern Reef and they did not require a survey. check out web www.drlmarine.com or e-mail info@drlmarine.com or even phone 08448001212