Self Pumpout

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Drains are laid down with a fall of about 1 inch to 30 inch and in order for the waste solids to be flushed away enough water must go down after said waste is deposited.

when i have found the elsan blocked it is always when a self pump out has been done without enough flushing.

BW want and are getting more boats on the system but are they providing facilities that boaters want and need? No.

Users have told BW what is needed but, as usual have been ignored.

The pump out machines are not fit for purpose. You have no idea how long you have got to do a pump out and rinse. They seem to vary and when the machine stopped when we were halfway through a pump out we gave up on them. Have you tried buying a card? This is near enough impossible without a home address and a lot of forethought. Shops won't stock them because they have to pay the full price upfront- no profit.

Stop blaming boaters for the lack of facilities and put the blame on the people who take our money.

EA provide free facilities on the Nene.

Sue

BW want and are getting more boats on the system but are they providing facilities that boaters want and need? No.

Users have told BW what is needed but, as usual have been ignored.

The pump out machines are not fit for purpose. You have no idea how long you have got to do a pump out and rinse. They seem to vary and when the machine stopped when we were halfway through a pump out we gave up on them. Have you tried buying a card? This is near enough impossible without a home address and a lot of forethought. Shops won't stock them because they have to pay the full price upfront- no profit.

Stop blaming boaters for the lack of facilities and put the blame on the people who take our money.

EA provide free facilities on the Nene.

Sue

Very good point, Sue. Our facilities are not adequate for the amount of boats. BW's answer seems to be to close the facilities.

And your point is what exactly????......did he cause a mess??.....did he hold you up in any way???....quite how is this different from using a trad elsan???

I personally think that non trad boats, bow thrusters and people who hang the stern rope over the tiller should be banned but thats just my opinion!!

Cheers

Gareth

Erm, i know this is off topic, but whats wrong with having the stern rope on the tiller? I only ask as i did this on my first solo trip....my thinking was that being clumsy i had less chance of tripping over it!

Bonnie

Erm, i know this is off topic, but whats wrong with having the stern rope on the tiller? I only ask as i did this on my first solo trip....my thinking was that being clumsy i had less chance of tripping over it!

Bonnie

Oh dear Bon, you've opened the other can of worms.... :lol:

Just carry a small shovel, cr@p on the canal bank and then throw it in the canal with the shovel. Just like hundreds of dog owners do with their dog cr@p !!!!!! Only joking!

Sometimes i really wished i didn't have such an active imagination! Got an image of lots of blokes reading papers squatting on the towpath! I need a scouring pad for my brain!!!!! EWWWWWW :lol:

Bon

Bonnie

I think that many would put foward the point that there is a strong possibility that the rope could fall into the water and end up fouling the propeller.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Brummage

Bonnie

When you knock it off the tiller (and you will), it will fall into the water, and wind itself around the prop,

The proper place for a stern rope is on the roof of the boat, having been removed completely from the stud.

When you knock it off the tiller (and you will), it will fall into the water, and wind itself around the prop,

The proper place for a stern rope is on the roof of the boat, having been removed completely from the stud.

Ta,

Soooo much i have to learn :lol:

And if it goes round the prop anything that is caught up in the rope will get damaged badly ,think of it attaching to your arm and leg.

5/8 thick rope still on the stud snapped like cotton when it went round my prop.

Hubby saw a private boat crew member disappear with a cassette close to Bugbrooke, I was out walking. He asked me when I got back if there was an elsan tip out by the bridge. Answer No. Found contents of cassette chucked in the hedge.. Boat had moved off while I was out, I wonder why!

Having walked past the Elsan point again yesterday I notice there is a sign " No self pumpout"!!

My opinion has always been that if you can't afford the £10 - 15 for a pumpout then buy a casette toilet.

The facilities in this case are at Hest bank on the Lancaster canal.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Well I have both a cassette & self pump out and I'm sure that I could make the same mess with both if I chose to.......but I dont and make sure I clean the SS after using either type....Please dont put all the mess down to self pump outs!....BTW if you have a cassette type toilet with a few spares dont you think that might 'overload' the system when they are discharged all together???? or what if several cassette users all follow each other in??? (!!).....have you suggested to BW that the elsan point may need looking at???

Last year we had to use the elsan point at Anderton as the pump out station was kaput! however we made sure everything went where it was supposed to!!

I think it should be accepted that some people can make a mess whatever they use.....and dont get me started on dog owners/walkers.....who should also be banned from towpaths!!

I too have both (use the cassette either when the infamous macerator fails or I can't find a pump out).

Interestingly I obtained a second hand pump out kit last year (which pumps into a sealed container) and have used it coincidently at Anderton. The reason is to remove a quantity in order to reach the next pump out station.

When we arrived at Anderton the place was surrounded by BW officials saying that too many elsans had been emptied and the tank had overflowed? I assume from this they either use septic or pump out type tanks at some of the locations. Anyway they turned round and said they would allow one bucket/container per boat maximum and that seemed to include self pump outs.

There may be a difference in 'messiness' depending on whether its 'drop through' or 'chomped' like ours?

I don't think either Elsan disposal points or pumpout machines are connected to the main drains because of the chemicals used, so there must be storage tanks that need emptying periodically. If BW ask you not to use self pumpout at a particular sanitary station, it's probably down to the size of the storage tank.

I don't think either Elsan disposal points or pumpout machines are connected to the main drains because of the chemicals used, so there must be storage tanks that need emptying periodically. If BW ask you not to use self pumpout at a particular sanitary station, it's probably down to the size of the storage tank.

If there's a sewer in the vicinity then the elsan is connected to it.

Sewage treatment facilities are capable of coping with chemical toilet additives.

Where do you think the tanker takes it?

:lol::lol: Now this has GOT to be a wind up............