New Front Doors

Featured Posts

I need some new front doors. The hole is 31.5inches side and 55 inches. I would like metal ones I think, and stable doors.

Has anyone replaced their front doors and what sort of cost would I be looking at, and are they hard to get made/fit?

I need some new front doors. The hole is 31.5inches side and 55 inches. I would like metal ones I think, and stable doors.

Has anyone replaced their front doors and what sort of cost would I be looking at, and are they hard to get made/fit?

Ask the person who supplied your side hatch.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Personally I think I would go down the get an expert in to measure up make them off site and then fit them for you.

However if I were to make new front doors for my boat this is how I would go about making them.

Measure the door frame properly as in make sure it not out of wind and is actually square

then make a plywood template and 'test it for fit'

next transfer the ply template to steel and get a local enginnering shop to chop it out of 4mm steel

test fit the steel just to make sure.

next weld on or bolt on hinges? Personally I would go for weld on hinges.

Set the door within the frame and pack out until there is equal space all round. Temporary bracing might be useful here.

mount weld on hinges temporarily. A big welders magnet comes in handy!

Tack weld the hinges on.

remove bracing packing etc and check operation.

Once happy weld up properly.

Personally I would go for small coach bolts, square off holes in hinges and drill slightly larger ones in the hull to allow for adjustment, but then I always prefer bolting to welding where practical so that I can remove things easily.

Thats fair enough except bolt on platework is just another place for rust to take hold.

Both methods have their pros and cons.

Personally I think I would go down the get an expert in to measure up make them off site and then fit them for you.

However if I were to make new front doors for my boat this is how I would go about making them.

Measure the door frame properly as in make sure it not out of wind and is actually square

then make a plywood template and 'test it for fit'

next transfer the ply template to steel and get a local enginnering shop to chop it out of 4mm steel

test fit the steel just to make sure.

next weld on or bolt on hinges? Personally I would go for weld on hinges.

Set the door within the frame and pack out until there is equal space all round. Temporary bracing might be useful here.

mount weld on hinges temporarily. A big welders magnet comes in handy!

Tack weld the hinges on.

remove bracing packing etc and check operation.

Once happy weld up properly.

The doors will be stronger if you get the metal working shop to fold the edges for you from memory when we had 2 doors made it was about £100

if they will do them in pickled and oiled steel it will be easier to prepare for painting but will depend what they stock

We make our doors from 3mm steel so they're not too heavy. Weld 20mm flat around inside to frame them and to fit wood inside of. 40mm flat welded to one door to form the overlap outside. Flap (square) hinges welded on. Works ok for us and are cheap to produce. :lol:

• 6 months later...
I had some new front doors from kedian (and back doors) They are exceptionally easy to fit and I am delighted with them!

I'd plan for a good cylinder lock and security bolting top and bottom at the same time-? welded mounts too.

Edited by Giggetty

Ellen would like to say that they are a substantial improvement compared to the doors on Surprise as they fitted well, with no draught, and she should know as she slept only a foot away from them after the November banter!

Edited by wrigglefingers

A somewhat belated observation about front fitting doors, but here goes. A couple of months ago Mr Finch (or an imposter) broke into several boats on our moorings, each one was accesed through the front doors breaking the lock between the wooden doors, or a single door and the wooden frame. He left both our boat and the boat next to us intact, and the only difference was that we both have a 2" heavy single mahogany front door, mortice locked into a steel frame.

From this somewhat unscientific analysis, at would appear that greater securiity is poviided if the door frame is of steel rather than timber. Our door also opens inwards rather than outwards, which means that there is a mahogany draught plate surrounding the frame, making it impossible to insert any implement to force the door.

I was seriously considering replacing the single inwards opening front door with a pair of outwards opening doors , but, based upon this recent experience, have decided to refurbish the existing single door instead.

Edited by David Schweizer

A somewhat belated observation about front fitting doors, but here goes. A couple of months ago Mr Finch (or an imposter) broke into several boats on our moorings, each one was accesed through the front doors breaking the lock between the wooden doors, or a single door and the wooden frame. He left both our boat and the boat next to us intact, and the only difference was that we both have a 2" heavy single mahogany front door, mortice locked into a steel frame.

From this somewhat unscientific analysis, at would appear that greater securiity is poviided if the door frame is of steel rather than timber. Our door also opens inwards rather than outwards, which means that there is a mahogany draught plate surrounding the frame, making it impossible to insert any implement to force the door.

I was seriously considering replacing the single inwards opening front door with a pair of outwards opening doors , but, based upon this recent experience, have decided to refurbish the existing single door instead.

Any chance of a few pics Mortimer I cant do it not good at computer savey Thanks Martin

We've got stable doors. I wouldn't be without them (for these same reasons)

Stable doors are a good means of letting air in yet still afording some secuity and a measure of privacy I can make either Bones had solid steel doors and hers were made in the workshop before instalation on her boat it took about two hours to fit the doors and solve her security isues and water ingress problems delivery time is about 7/10 days please feel free to contact me by pm if you want any info best wishes for Christmass and the New year Martin

Edited by Martin Kedian