How Rude?

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Well there we were out for our usual walk with the dogs today down by the Keadby and Stainforth. Lots of boats coming and going between Thorne and Keadby Lock as there has been for a few days now. First boat comes past and everyone waves and says good afternoon, second boat draws level and the couple just turn their backs on us! Now I know some people like to keep themselves to themselves but a little wave and a nod would have been fine - no need to talk is there? I have to say thats been the first time ever we've been snubbed by a narrowboater! Well really!!!! :lol:

It happens,

Fellow boaters have not waved back to us when we have been on the broads or the canals, fellow MX-5 drivers have not waved back to us when we wave, and fellow Land Rover drivers or BMW drivers have not waived back either.

Not really something to be bothered about really, people are different - don't let it put you off being freindly and making an effort - amongst all the above I've generally found boaters (broads and canals) to be the most friendly.

It does'nt really bother me I think i was just a bit gobsmacked at the sheer blatant "turn of the backs" on us. Over all we always find narrowboaters really friendly thats why we boat. We spent an hour sat talking to a guy yesterday who was waiting for the tide at Keadby Lock and another fellow brought our dogs a bowl of water from his boat when they'd drunk what we'd brought for them.

Anyway they had no reason to be snobby - their boat were'nt up to much :lol:

When I read the title I thought you were going to say you got a stream of obscenities from them or something. OK, it's not great when someone doesn't acknowledge you but they might have had their own problems. I know there are some days when I can't bear to face people and would have done the same, but I would have been feeling very sad, not antagonistic.

Well maybe Warrior Woman but I don't think that was the case here.When we drove back over the canal bridge in Keadby they were making hard work of trying to moor on the opposite side from the visitor moorings - and yes they was room for at least another 3 boats of varying lengths. I think clearly a case of an unsociable couple if you ask me. I noted the name of the boat just in case we see them on our travels.

Edited by tillergirl

Well maybe Warrior Woman but I don't think that was the case here.When we drove back over the canal bridge in Keadby they were making hard work of trying to moor on the opposite side from the visitor moorings - and yes they was room for at least another 3 boats of varying lengths. I think clearly a case of an unsociable couple if you ask me. I noted the name of the boat just in case we see them on our travels.

hi .name of boat ????. bob. go on dare you .

My boat is moored on the S&K at Stainforth, being slowly updated, and there as been quite a bit of traffic in the last few days. Everybody waves, except some miserable bugger on Friday, didn't catch the name, but stood out in their ignorance. You know who you are.

When the memsahib and I are or have been bickering it has been known for us not to acknowledge passers by. It does not mean much, forget it!

As for "happy, smiley, wavey" boaters. I normally tend to fit into that category, but take care:- A rather large, tatooed, bruiser ran along the tow path to the next bridge hole jumped on board accusing me of laughing at him! It cost me two beers before he got off at the following bridge hole! Quite a nice chap but I suspect a bit "highly strung". Either that or what I consider to be my nicest smile is open to misinterpretation! This :lol: instead of :lol: perhaps!

When the memsahib and I are or have been bickering it has been known for us not to acknowledge passers by. It does not mean much, forget it!

As for "happy, smiley, wavey" boaters. I normally tend to fit into that category, but take care:- A rather large, tatooed, bruiser ran along the tow path to the next bridge hole jumped on board accusing me of laughing at him! It cost me two beers before he got off at the following bridge hole! Quite a nice chap but I suspect a bit "highly strung". Either that or what I consider to be my nicest smile is open to misinterpretation! This :lol: instead of :lol: perhaps!

Two beers eh! That's a good wheeze!

I don't know whether the Severn is different to elsewhere, but it is even friendlier than most canals: it's great to get a wave from someone on a boat about four stories high as they sweep past: and yes, they do wave first if you are not quick enough! :lol:

Tonight theres about 20 boats in at Keadby Lock!! Wow never seen it so busy boats breasted up and even having to moor alongside the BW working craft on the other side. Looks like the lockie is going to be busy tomorrow.........The poor signal man had quite a busy hour what with all the trains and boats going through.....As for the miserable old sod from yesterday well he's gone now.Thanks Denboy for all the waves. :lol: Can't wait for our hols next month and yes I will wave and nod and smile to everyone we pass................As for naming and shaming well he knows who he is and I'm not that spiteful :lol:

It happens,

Fellow boaters have not waved back to us when we have been on the broads or the canals, fellow MX-5 drivers have not waved back to us when we wave, and fellow Land Rover drivers or BMW drivers have not waived back either.

Not really something to be bothered about really, people are different - don't let it put you off being freindly and making an effort - amongst all the above I've generally found boaters (broads and canals) to be the most friendly.

Intersting observations about waving, I was pottering about on my mooring plot one day when a passing holiday boater berated me for not waving, I had to point out that literally hundreds of boats pass each day and did he wave at every car that passed his house. See there is always two ways to look at everything.

.... second boat draws level and the couple just turn their backs on us!

I've found this too. Lots of boaters do the friendly acknowledgement to other boaters but completely blank towpath users unless it's obvious they are a fellow boater (windlass in hand). Don't know the reason for it and don't particularly care either. I find that generally the rule is applied more the further the boater is up their own backside.

I don't wave at people I don't know. I don't say hello to everyone I pass in the street either.

Maybe I'm odd but I think it is odd to wave at strangers.

Sue

You're not at all odd Sue.... :lol:

Natural instinct/body language conventions see to it that we make eye contact/acknowledge/interact with people as they enter our 'space'. It's the 'dogs sniffing each others arses' syndrome. This doesn't work in crowded city street situatuation as modern civilisation has taught us to do otherwise, but when poeple return to village life or off the beaten track like the canal environment it mostly returns, though human conventions are mostly less forward than with our four legged friends..... :lol:

You're not at all odd Sue.... :lol:

Natural instinct/body language conventions see to it that we make eye contact/acknowledge/interact with people as they enter our 'space'. It's the 'dogs sniffing each others arses' syndrome. This doesn't work in crowded city street situatuation as modern civilisation has taught us to do otherwise, but when poeple return to village life or off the beaten track like the canal environment it mostly returns, though human conventions are mostly less forward than with our four legged friends..... :lol:

I agree (though not quite sure about the sniffing bums bit :lol: ). I've lived in small villages and big towns at various times - in the village it's expected that you'll smile and say hello to strangers as you pass them on the street, in the town they look at you as if you need locking up it you do the same!

I smile and wave at fellow boaters and towpath walkers (and fishermen - very varied responses there - some suddenly find their maggots very interesting!) if they don't reciprocate I try not to pass judgement - after all they may have just received bad news, be in the middle of a messy divorce, etc, etc.

Tonight theres about 20 boats in at Keadby Lock!! Wow never seen it so busy boats breasted up and even having to moor alongside the BW working craft on the other side. Looks like the lockie is going to be busy tomorrow.........The poor signal man had quite a busy hour what with all the trains and boats going through.....As for the miserable old sod from yesterday well he's gone now.Thanks Denboy for all the waves. :lol: Can't wait for our hols next month and yes I will wave and nod and smile to everyone we pass................As for naming and shaming well he knows who he is and I'm not that spiteful :lol:

you are a nice girl. have a good trip all the best .bob

Its a very small minority of boaters that dont wave or acknowledge others. We always make an effort to wave at passing boaters or children and adults boat watching. A wave and a smile cost nothing.

We do find with our old fords that other old ford drivers beep and flash their lights as well. Its only a bit of fun.