How Rude?

tillergirl

Featured Posts

You're not at all odd Sue.... :lol:

Natural instinct/body language conventions see to it that we make eye contact/acknowledge/interact with people as they enter our 'space'. It's the 'dogs sniffing each others arses' syndrome. This doesn't work in crowded city street situatuation as modern civilisation has taught us to do otherwise, but when poeple return to village life or off the beaten track like the canal environment it mostly returns, though human conventions are mostly less forward than with our four legged friends..... :lol:

I'd go further and say the convention can change by time of day and within a few streets. Outside our house in Bath it is the norm to greet strangers except when it is busy (when the strangers are usually parents dropping off/picking up kids and there are just too many of them). That doesn't apply in Moorland Road where our local shops are (about 400 yards away), unless it's about seven o'clock in the morning in which case strangers do normally greet each other

Just to add something to this topic I started ALL the fellas on the working boats on the Trent wave when they pass - some will even give you a "cheers!" with a mug of tea.

Well as my nan said "Theres nowt as strange as folk".

And thanks Bob though I'm not sure everyone would agree with you there :lol: "Woman" and "opinion" are the words that come to mind. :lol:

Just to add something to this topic I started ALL the fellas on the working boats on the Trent wave when they pass - some will even give you a "cheers!" with a mug of tea.

Well as my nan said "Theres nowt as strange as folk".

And thanks Bob though I'm not sure everyone would agree with you there :lol: "Woman" and "opinion" are the words that come to mind. :lol:

Next time you cruise the Worcester & Birmingham near Bourneville, wave at the train drivers. They always respond in the time-honoured manner !

I know it is nice to be friendly, but you can't go smiling and waving at everyone you pass, it would send you dotty. I usually give a wave or smile, but sometimes I am just getting on with my life and not asking for a social event. However, I don't think there is any place for rudeness either on or off the water. I would have waved back. :lol:

Hi all,

I always try to respond with a wave and a smile and on a really good day even a freindly hello... The other week I was cruising down the Grand Union near Uxbridge when what seemed like a whole school of children and teachers were walking. As you can imagine I was waving and smiling for quite a while but it did not hurt. In fact truth be know it made me feel better as the children and teachers all waved and smiled back.

We tend to be looking at the boats, not the people on them, when we're walking along the towpath, but if there's a nod, smile or wave from the steerer or crew then we nod, smile or wave back. I do remember one particular couple from a year or so ago though. They were moored here for a couple of weeks and whenever we walked past, their noses went so high in the air I thought they were going to do permanent damage to their necks. I won't say any more than that, as I think they're forum members..........

All waving and smiling, yes yes jolly nice, but it's not compulsory. The people on the boat who "blanked" you are under no obligation to contribute to your day by joining in with your bonhomie. If I pass an angler I will usually give a greeting, but not when there's miles of them in a match. Maybe the "untypical couple" had been waving and hullooing to complete strangers all day and just wanted a break, pretending not to notice you is perhaps less ill mannered than just blank staring.

I'll only wave to people I know personally, the rest just get a somber nod of recognition because you never know, they could be a murderer, rapist, kiddy fiddler or, god forbid, an MP & I'm not going to make the world nice for them!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I always try to respond with a wave and a smile and on a really good day even a freindly hello... The other week I was cruising down the Grand Union near Uxbridge when what seemed like a whole school of children and teachers were walking. As you can imagine I was waving and smiling for quite a while but it did not hurt. In fact truth be know it made me feel better as the children and teachers all waved and smiled back.

This post reminded me of my wife's birthday when just up stream of our moorings I came across huge crowd of Girl Guides, one of the leaders asked me how long it would take them to walk to "The Southern Comfort" which is a mock up of a double decker paddle steamer as they were all booked on it for a trip down the river.

Having told them I then asked if they would mind doing me a favour. I then phoned my wife and told her to be on the stern deck when The Southern Comfort passed.

When it sailed by she was greeted by a mass of Girl Guides shouting HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! LOL

Phil

Well there we were out for our usual walk with the dogs today down by the Keadby and Stainforth. Lots of boats coming and going between Thorne and Keadby Lock as there has been for a few days now. First boat comes past and everyone waves and says good afternoon, second boat draws level and the couple just turn their backs on us! Now I know some people like to keep themselves to themselves but a little wave and a nod would have been fine - no need to talk is there? I have to say thats been the first time ever we've been snubbed by a narrowboater! Well really!!!! :lol:

There are some very rude people around. How about this for an example;

We were cruising on the Leeds Liverpool in a hire boat. We were dropping down the locks at Barrowford and in the pound about to start the approach to the next lock which was full of water.

A middle aged guy appeared and started to close the gates and began letting the water out. We protested strongly saying this was a waste of thousands of gallons of water. The air was blue I can tell you and my son could happily have filled the guy in.

His answer was that we had to give way to him because he was private and we were visitors!!!!

Unbelievable,the height of rudeness. He had a strong Scottish accent and I suppose I should have said he was the visitor, if you see what I mean!!! When he came through the lock his wife shouted an apology to us and said her husband was an ignorant B.....d! We should have got his number and reported him. Do you know a couple like this?

The worst I remember was going through a flight of locks when we were hiring. When we're following a boat through locks I always run in front and help them. But - ahem -this particular boat had the young chap acting single handed while a couple of pampered princesses were comparing their suntans and manicured nails on the roof! I wouldn't have minded except they looked at me as if I was the scum of the earth! Humph! I stopped helping them very quickly (the young chap doing all the work was actually really nice - I felt a bit guilty leaving him to it but I'm sure he had later rewards in mind)

The worst I remember was going through a flight of locks when we were hiring. When we're following a boat through locks I always run in front and help them. But - ahem -this particular boat had the young chap acting single handed while a couple of pampered princesses were comparing their suntans and manicured nails on the roof! I wouldn't have minded except they looked at me as if I was the scum of the earth! Humph! I stopped helping them very quickly (the young chap doing all the work was actually really nice - I felt a bit guilty leaving him to it but I'm sure he had later rewards in mind)

Down here on the Broads pampered princesses (male and female ) are the norm. Hire boats are always trying to moor up single handed while the "crew" just sit and watch, I feel sorry for the poor s*d at the helm. Recently I was talking to my pal who is a bridge pilot when he dashed off shouting about a single hander was in trouble. I looked over the bridge to see a chap trying to moor at the pilot station while inside sat at least 3 other people!!

Phil