Fuel

Featured Posts

Thanks for that.

How does that fit in with Gallons though ?

you need to onvert you 30 gallons to litres for reference type 30 gallons to litres in google and you will get an answer. it should be about 136 litres

1.5 litres an hour is a bit pessimistic, I use an average of 1.1 litre per hour in a 1.5 BMC. the only way you will actually find out is by filling your tank completely full and then keeping a record of the hours the engine has run before filling up again, and doing the calculations. Most boats have an engine houis counter so it is quite easy to maitain a record of engine running hours. Repeat the process several times and compare the results, they will never be excactly the same but it will give you a fair idea of average fuel consumption.

One tip, do not allow your tank to get completely empty, the best idea is to fill up when it is no more tha 3/4 empty. That way you will not risk drawing any rubbish from the bottom of the tank (and all boats have some) and you will avoid the risk of running out completely and having to bleed the whole system to get re started.

Hi All

Considering buying a narrowboat.

Can you tell me how far I can go on a full 30 gallon tank ? This tank doesn't seem that big to me?

Thank you.

So that's at least 90-100 hours or say 2 weeks continuous average cruising. Is that big enough? :lol:

Chris

Thank you all.

It should be big enough but if I am recommended to fill up when the tanks 3/4s full then maybe not.

I suppose it is best to keep a spare fuel can handy in any event.

Just to round this off I think I read that there are two types of diesel. What do you ask for when filling up. Is it the farmers Red stuff for a Beta 35 and whats the best way to tell whats left in the tank as there is no fuel guage?

All your comments are appreciated.

most folk use along piece of dowling marked off in segments of 5 gal(well i do)get a piece of dowl arouns an inch dia long enough to reach the bottom of tank place it in tank and withdraw mark with a hack saw then put 5 gal in then measure the distance between the 2 readings then mark the dowl from bottom to top with that measurement ie every mark should be 5 gal

1 gallon = 4.5 litres (roughly)

Therefore 1 gallon every 3 hours?

That means a 1500cc uses the same amount of fuel as Dove,

Dove has a Gardner 4L2, 5500cc

Just checked last trip, 101hrs, 231 miles, 142 locks, used 30gall fuel.

Andrew

1.5 litres an hour is a bit pessimistic, I use an average of 1.1 litre per hour in a 1.5 BMC.

We certainly can't manage as good as 1.1 litres per hour (BMC 1.8), but not as bad as 1.5 either, generally. We actually seem to get 1.3 or 1.4 litres per hour.

David,

Was you consumption figure improved at all by the engine rebuild, or was it that good even before then, please ?

I would expect that if engines are approximately the same efficiency, they would use the same amount of fuel per hour to do a given amount of work. Modern engines may even be more efficient than older engines so would likely be smaller and use less..

Nick

We certainly can't manage as good as 1.1 litres per hour (BMC 1.8), but not as bad as 1.5 either, generally. We actually seem to get 1.3 or 1.4 litres per hour.

David,

Was you consumption figure improved at all by the engine rebuild, or was it that good even before then, please ?

Initially fuel consumption was approaching 1.5 LPH , but now the re-built engine has done 600 hours, consumption has decreased and settled around an average of 1.1LPH

I have to say that we do not normally tank along, because having such a deep hull it just causes more wash, with no improvement in speed.

Edited by David Schweizer

Thank you all.

It should be big enough but if I am recommended to fill up when the tanks 3/4s full then maybe not.

No read the post again it says 3/4s empty. :lol:

I suppose it is best to keep a spare fuel can handy in any event.

Just to round this off I think I read that there are two types of diesel.

True 'red' and 'white' but you will only get 'red' at a marina or boat.

What do you ask for when filling up.

You declare a 'split' propulsion/domestic, you have to guesstimate your usage the guideline from HMRC is 60/40 that means that you pay the extra duty on the 60%

Is it the farmers Red stuff for a Beta 35 Yes

and whats the best way to tell whats left in the tank as there is no fuel guage?

As advised get a stick, check regularly you will soon get to know how the fuel is lasting

All your comments are appreciated.

Fuel consumption for a well known 43, from their website.

As can be seen consumption accelerates the more you do. (sorry) :lol:

Keep the revs down, I bet you will save fuel and get there just as quick.