Carnation condensed milk

Kez

Featured Posts

Being condensed, do you have to put it in an expansion tank before use?

I seem to remember my mother using it everywhere, from pouring it over mandarin oranges to making milk jelly. That's probably why I can't stand the stuff now!

Fudge: http://www.nestlepromotions.co.uk/pno/carn...ngercherry.aspx

I'm sure it's used in Banoffie Pie, and maybe Macaroons too?

Let me Google that for you....

Loads of tasty Carnation recipes here: http://www.vickery.tv/acatalog/Carnation.html

And this looks particularly good! http://www.grouprecipes.com/66357/fabulous...colate-pie.html

Oh and here's the official site with both sweet and savoury ideas: http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/car...ch_recipes.aspx

Edited by sociable_hermit

Oh yes!! Lemon Crunch Pie - one of my all time favourites of all time!

Hang on while I dig me book out with my old mum's recipes in it........

Here we go then:

Make a base from 8oz of crushed ginger biscuits mixed into 3oz of melted butter - press into a pie dish or similar and allow to cool.

For the filling you'll need:

5 fl. oz condensed milk

Zest and juice of 2 lemons

1/4 pint double cream

Add the lemon zest and juice to the condensed milk and whisk until it thickens a little.

In a separate bowl whisk the cream to the same thickness as the condensed milk and lemon, and then beat them all together.

Spread the filling over the base and put in the fridge to set. Decorate with extra whipped cream if desired (whaddya mean - IF?!)

Bon appetit!

PS - Yes it IS good for you - it has fruit juice in it........ :lol:

Andy

Caramel shortbread...........mmmmmmmmm......stunning, but haven't got the recipe, my mum used to make it.

We also used to just have it in sandwiches!! :lol:

Oh what a healthy diet we ate as kids!!!! :lol:

Many years ago I took a recipe from a newspaper which said that you boil a tin of condensed milk for three hours - taking care not to let it boil dry :lol:

It was described as a delicious, smooth dessert. So, when we had some special friends over for dinner I tried this out - putting it on the stove well in advance of their arrival.

When it was judged that it was ready, I opened the tin, and turned it out onto a plate - a slowly collapsing brown pile of slime. Fortunately, they were very good friends, and were happy to eat yoghurt for dessert.

I have no idea what I did wrong, and I have never tried this again - has anyone ever managed to produce the expected dessert?

It is supposed to be like brown slime - called dulce de leche.

I found this:

1 can sweetened condendensed milk. Remove the label from the can of condensed milk Do not under any circumstances open the can yet. Take the can and stick it in a pot. Cover it with water. Put the pot on a stove and turn up the heat. Let the pot and can simmer gently for about one and a half to two hours for runny dulce de leche, or up to four hours for solid dulce de leche. Add more water, as necessary, when the level boils down too much.

When it's done, let it cool for a while, and then carefully open up the can and eat directly (for the solid variety) or use as a dessert spread (for the liquid variety).

The resulting product should be colored tan or brown.

NOTE: You need to keep a close eye on the can. If it shows any signs of expansion, immediately remove it from the heat and let it cool. If you are concerned at all at the high-pressure nature of the recipe, you may poke a small hole in the top of the can, and lower the water level so that the can is not completely covered. This will allow the internal pressure of the can to be released, but it will also make the recipe take longer (since high pressure reduces cooking time).

You can also make it in a pie pan in the oven ,Oven method: Pour 1can sweetened condensed milk into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in a larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water. Bake at 425 for 1 hour or until thick and caramel-colored. Beat until smooth.

Hi, how about Gypsy Tart?

We used to get it at School (in Kent, so maybe its a local delicacy!)

I large tin evaporated milk

12oz brown sugar

whisk together until the sugar is blended in.

Pour into baked pastry case and bake for 25 mins in 180 degree oven.

Eat, then spend a month dieting.

Jo.

I work for a company that makes cast iron range cookers. A few years ago we had a customer who put a tin of condensed milk in the oven to warm up - the problem was that forgot to pierce the can - and then they forgot it was in there! The resulting explosion moved a 300KG cooker about a foot from the wall, luckily nobody was standing in front of the oven door when it burst open and destroyed the adjacent kitchen cupboard. But the worst bit by far was the mess....... the kitchen was covered in the stuff.

But the worst bit by far was the mess....... the kitchen was covered in the stuff.

Sounds like this recipe:

Bangers, Mash and Duck

2lbs potatoes

1pt milk

8 Cloves garlic (crushed)

12 squibs

Salt and Pepper

1lb rocket leaves

Peel and boil the potatoes and then mash them with the milk and garlic

Season to taste.

Make a large mound of mash on each plate and push several squibs into each mound.

Light the ends of the squibs at the table and watch your guests dive for cover.

Serve with a Rocket salad and eat with Fawkes.

Redecorate your dining room.

Just had to let my daughter know about this thread as she works at Nestle HQ in Croydon as a home economist (whatever they are!). She has helped develop some of the Carnation recipes that have appeared in the links posted so far and was in a team supporting Phil Vickery in various recipe demos round the UK a year or so ago.

She's emailed me to suggest I add another link clicky which takes you to Phil's monthly "Pudcast" of recipes where each one is available as a short video clip.

Hopefully by now Kez will have a little less condensed milk ballast to worry about!

Richard

There seems to be some confusion in some of the replies.

There are two products: Condensed Milk which is very thick and very sweet and very fattening and then there is Evaporated Milk which is not very thick and not very sweet and, I suppose, not as fattening.

Condensed milk is wonderful on porridge.

And you can make a nice desert by using evaporated milk as part of the liquid in a fruit jelly, allowing it to begin to set and then whisking it into a foam.