When is it too windy?

waterlily

Featured Posts

I am not always the most confident boater, and though the weather is fine at the moment it is also a bit breezy. How windy does it have to be before the boat will be unmanagable? It is a shame to waste the days. I may or may not be single handed and would like to take some frinds out for the day, she is not a very big boat, 35ft. Thanks.

I am not always the most confident boater, and though the weather is fine at the moment it is also a bit breezy. How windy does it have to be before the boat will be unmanagable? It is a shame to waste the days. I may or may not be single handed and would like to take some frinds out for the day, she is not a very big boat, 35ft. Thanks.

Just get out there LOL, i did it with a wee dandy dawn craft, had to zig zag up the canal otherwise it was blowing me back, that was with a 10hp engine on it.

It must of been a good 20 knots of breeze, there was a 40 NB with me and went up the canal on a slight angle.

wayne

Unfortunately, confident is what you need for windy boating, often requiring cruising down the canal at strange angles.

A friend who is handy with a rope or pole can help loads.

With a 35 foot boat, she shouldn't be too heavy to shift out of most situations but windy boating can be very tiring.

The main thing is not too let the wind catch you sideways, see your boat like a big sail or kite and (if you put your hand out a car window you'll see how it reacts with the wind depending on the angle.)

Turning (winding, hah!) is a bit of an art too.

Edited by Chris Pink

When it's windy just don't slow down too much because you'll get blown sideways. Remember that people in moored boats (if they've got even 1% of a brain) would rather you went past them too fast than got blown into them.

When you have a cross wind and, in order to make progress, your crabbing means that the bow touches one bank while the stern touches the other.......then it's too windy.

George ex nb Alton retired

When it's windy just don't slow down too much because you'll get blown sideways. Remember that people in moored boats (if they've got even 1% of a brain) would rather you went past them too fast than got blown into them.

This is very true! As I found last year going round Braunston Turn onto the Oxford it helps to keep the revs up ... and even that didn't stop 58ft of boat being pinned to the bank for about 20 minutes. Going up The Ashby was one of the most tiring runs I've done as the wind was constantly changing direction and strength. Fun. But tiring!

The main thing is that you'll soon learn how your particular boat reacts under different conditions and when to under/over-steer and speed-up/slow-down. As trite as it sounds - the best way to learn is to go out and do it. Get someone on board for the first few times whilst you practice, but let them know that they're not to 'help' unless you ask them. It'll boost your confidence, and you know you've got a spare pair of hands just in case.

Last week at Tottenham we got blown sideways into a tree bad enough to snap the side rail, so the hubby reversed and picked up speed to get past those moored , someone who witnessed it all in a moored boat started yelling at us to slow down. The hubby apologised and explained he has to go a tad faster to save doing any more damage because of the wind, the response was 'well you should not have got a barge' . Did not bother explaining to the know it all that a narrow boat that was longer would have the same problem. :lol:

Edited by Shary

When you have a cross wind and, in order to make progress, your crabbing means that the bow touches one bank while the stern touches the other.......then it's too windy.

George ex nb Alton retired

We've had quite a few going up the Glasson Branch of the Lancaster Canal like that lately :lol: Looks a little odd and don't know how well a passing manouvre would come off, but they tend to keep smiling and press on with their coats buttoned up and the hats pulled down hard :lol:

Andy

OK good question.

I was out on a windy day and on a couple of occasions I lost the engine, eventually having to be towed home. This is what the wind can do to a 60' NB

Bear in mind each frame is @ 5 second intervals and plays at 12.5 frames a second. So if my sums are right each second is about 1 minute.

I have some more timelapse trips there too.

Biggles

Edited by Biggles

I was out on a windy day and on a couple of occasions I lost the engine, eventually having to be towed home. This is what the wind can do to a 60' NB

Ah, but that's a special case 'cause you were next to all those big fans, blowing you around :lol:

MP.

Ah, but that's a special case 'cause you were next to all those big fans, blowing you around :lol:

MP.

Arr MP I assume you are familular with landscape? Have they sortedm out Salters Load? Did you see my other videos?

Biggles

Arr MP I assume you are familular with landscape?

I am, and I know that there's not much in the way of hills 'round there to stop the wind.

Have they sorted out Salters Load?

Working, but not at full capacity, I believe.

Did you see my other videos?

Yep. Good fun.

MP.

OK good question.

Bear in mind each frame is @ 5 second intervals and plays at 12.5 frames a second. So if my sums are right each second is about 1 minute.

I have some more timelapse trips there too.

Biggles

We did that last year (Bedford to Ely), we got stuck bank side a few times. Rather than fight it, we just moored up and had a cup of tea, or in Hubs case - a beer. :lol:

..............The hubby apologised and explained he has to go a tad faster to save doing any more damage because of the wind, the response was 'well you should not have got a barge'..............

I've never understood why some people feel the urge to explain their actions to onlookers........ if the onlookers haven't got the brains to work it all out they won't have the brains to understand the explanation either.

My response is usually along the lines of, "You've obviously mistaken me for somebody that gives a sh*t"

Chris

Boating in the wind can be a challenge. Our boat is relatively light at 2.5 ton so is easily blown of course. Whilst underway we have found that if we keep a few more revs on and keep the speed up at around 5/6mph she isnt as badly affected. It is when you come to manouvre that the problems start. Being blown into the bank isnt an issue just back of the power with plenty of time and let the wind take you in, hopefully not too quickly. If the wind is blowing away from the bank you just have to be brave and give her some more power than you normally would. This can be a little off putting but as with anything practice makes perfect (well almost). Getting back off the bank is again easy if the wind is blowing you off but it is often easier to use your ropes to help get her off the bank if the wind is blowing in. We have found that leaving the stern rope tied around something on the bank and gently putting her in forward gear will swing her nose out, then quickly unrope jump on and way you go. Sounds easy but it doesnt always work like that.

I've never understood why some people feel the urge to explain their actions to onlookers........ if the onlookers haven't got the brains to work it all out they won't have the brains to understand the explanation either.

My response is usually along the lines of, "You've obviously mistaken me for somebody that gives a sh*t"

Chris

I think it's just out of politeness.

And don't forget it's always windy at a junction or winding hole, even when there's not a breath of air 20 yards either side !

Mike.

And don't forget it's always windy at a junction or winding hole, even when there's not a breath of air 20 yards either side !

Mike.

No thats our marina entrance. Im sure Gretzky will back me up on that one :lol:

(snip)

We have found that leaving the stern rope tied around something on the bank and gently putting her in forward gear will swing her nose out, (snip)

I use the same technique to swing the nose IN :lol:

(Different sort of boat. though)

Iain

edited to remove typo

Edited by Iain_S

I also use the same technique to swing the nose IN. Often I'll leave the boat moored from a stern rope only, running slowly in forward gear to keep it there while I (or someone else) open a lock gate.

The opposite works well too. Having done this, changing from forward to reverse then swings the nose OUT. Putting the boat into forward again when the nose is pointing the right way, then takes the load off the rope so I can take it in as I set off away from the bank.

I found the technique particularly useful on some of the Thames lay-by's where there's no way to walk along for a second rope.