K&A to Oxford canal...help please

gidh

Featured Posts

Having just secured a mooring on the Oxford i now face the task of moving from the K&A to the new 'home',i have a few things i would like to know....

1: Is there anywhere in Reading (or extremely near) i can moor up overnight, or for even up to a week, without fear of Mugging/burglary/intimidation etc

2: What things do i 'really' need to satisfy the rules and regulations for going on the Thames ( anchors/ size of name on boat etc.)

3: How long realistically to get from Reading to Oxford

4: Is it easy to find places to moor

5: What happens at manned locks ( etiquette!)

6: any other tips/dodges etc. much appreciated

Sorry for so many questions, but i could quite possibly be single handed and the more i know in advance, the better!

cheers Gid.

1: Is there anywhere in Reading (or extremely near) i can moor up overnight, or for even up to a week, without fear of Mugging/burglary/intimidation etc

Can't help on this one.

2: What things do i 'really' need to satisfy the rules and regulations for going on the Thames ( anchors/ size of name on boat etc.)

An anchor would be recommended, but if the river is quiet, highly unlikely to be required on this bit. We were about the only ones in a lifejacket too, but I don't mind looking a prat if it makes me feel safer. We don't have the boat name painted on, and nobody objected.

2 days is ample.

No problems at all over the Easter period - I can't say for the summer, though.

You wait outside until cleared to go in, generally. Other than row boats, they seem to largely pack you in in the order you arrive, freely mixing steel narrowboats amongst GRP. You are supposed to switch your engine off as the lock fills or empties.

Don't rush, just because the Tupperware is, usually things go at a pace where you'll not find yourself shut out of the next lock, simply because they can go faster in between.

Sorry for so many questions, but i could quite possibly be single handed and the more i know in advance, the better!

They like you to have ropes around bollards at each end of the boat, when in locks. I'm not sure what concession they make for single handers, as we had two available at all times. I'm sure a single-hander will be able to advise.

In brief, on that stretch, it's not hard, although I might change my opinion if there was a bit of a flow on!

Alan

Having just secured a mooring on the Oxford i now face the task of moving from the K&A to the new 'home',i have a few things i would like to know....

cheers Gid.

:lol: Hi

2 day trip no sweat u can moor near the prison in reading, its all safe as houses along the route, manned locks e easy just smile at lockies,

re: Thames locks.

"Sorry for so many questions, but i could quite possibly be single handed and the more i know in advance, the better!"

"They like you to have ropes around bollards at each end of the boat, when in locks. I'm not sure what concession they make for single handers, as we had two available at all times. I'm sure a single-hander will be able to advise"

I was single handed last summer and went down from Oxford to Brentford. The rules say two ropes, bow and stern. One lock keeper said to use two, centre and one other, but implied that the second could be just for show.

This I did for most of the way, until one "jobsworth" lock keeper insisted on bow and stern ropes and he refused to empty the lock until I did - he even showed me the rule in the rule book.

I couldn't reach them both, so next he insisted I joined some extra rope to the bow line. This reached, just, so at last I was allowed through.

Certainly round the back by the prison is a good place in Reading. We were stuck there for a few days in March last year (floods) and had no trouble.

Do carry an anchor and make sure it is made fast at the upstream end of the boat. The Thames might be quiet (is the Kennet?) but engines do break down.

Single handed mooring through Thames locks is, as has been said, something that will need to be negotiated with the lock keepers. I haven't tried it.

I rather think that entering the Oxford by way of Dukes Cut is a bit more straightforward that the Isis Lock route.

Good luck

Nick

Hi there

We are also moving from the K&A (at Newbury) to a new mooring at Oxford. If it would help to come along in convoy with us then you are very welcome. We are leaving Newbury on Saturday 23 May and so would be at Reading (Tescos) by Sunday lunchtime 24 May. The prison moorings should be fine for you. There are some very nice moorings along the way upstream (Beale Park, Abingdon, etc).

Depending on where in Oxford you are going to, I cannot see the trip from Reading taking more than 2.5 days (leisurely).

All you need is an anchor and river licence (do you have a Gold Licence?). Thames Lock Keepers usually want you to turn your engine off in the lock. They will wave you in when they are ready for you. You queue for entry into the lock first come first served (unless lock-keeper indicates otherwise).

Where is your new mooring??

Oops, I see that you said "on the Oxford" rather than "at Oxford". But we are still going the same way!

Jo.

I rather think that entering the Oxford by way of Dukes Cut is a bit more straightforward that the Isis Lock route.

Nick, we have never yet entered the Oxford from the Thames, but are moving to Eynsham in May. Just out of interest, what is the reason for this comment? (Because of the location of Oxford Cruisers, it is highly likely that we will always enter the Oxford from Dukes Cut, but I just wondered......).

Jo.

Edited by Daftmare

Moor either side of the road bridge, by the prison or by Homebase. The building opp has cctv and the security guards watch the boats. When we are in Reading we prefer the latter cause the trees don't drip on the boat. You have to turn off the main channel first or second left <either> past the Oracle,to get to either mooring. The Oracle is controlled by traffic lights.

Don't stop at Fobney lock. We prefer to do this lock earlyish in the morning. Pub at Burgfield is crap in my opinion.

You can moor at Tesco it is on the Thames but you can work the lock yourself after hours.

The name of the boat should be on the bows & stern but our is on the sides like most nbs. EA don't bother as long as it can be seen.

Hubby has single handed on Thames using a long centre rope and stern rope.

There is a Weatherspoons near the prison for cheap food & beer. Have fun and don't do the trip after a lot of rain. Sue

cheers Gid.

Have the anchor where you can reach it. It isn't a lot of use on the front if you are single handed. Try borrowing if you don't want to buy. Also lifejacket if you don't swim.

Sue

"I was single handed last summer and went down from Oxford to Brentford. The rules say two ropes, bow and stern. One lock keeper said to use two, centre and one other, but implied that the second could be just for show.

This I did for most of the way, until one "jobsworth" lock keeper insisted on bow and stern ropes and he refused to empty the lock until I did - he even showed me the rule in the rule book. "

I wouldn't mind betting that was at Bell Weir Lock ! Several years ago I single-handed my 70' boat from Shepperton to Lechlade and most of the way back using bow and centre line . The lockies were happy for me to tie the bow line to a bollard well ahead of the boat and hold on to the centre line , that was until I got to Bell Weir Lock coming back downstream . The lockie said he wanted a stern line , I said " pardon ? " , he said " that's the one at the back " !

Bloody miserable sarcastic git . I've seen him several times since , he always tries to avoid eye contact or conversation so I make sure he gets both with a big obvious smile and a hello . This bloke ,( big guy , big ginger beard , I think his name is John ) is very much the exception on the Thames in my experience . The majority of the lock keepers are really friendly and helpful .

Duncan

I found that learning, and practicing, the "lighterman's throw" was very useful on the Thames.

In short, this is a way to get a rope around a bollard without leaving the boat. You take the properly coiled length of rope, hold the tail end under your armpit or in your hand, and divide the coils into two lots, one in each hand. You can then throw with both at once, the rope makes a large U shape hopefully around the bollard, then you haul away at the tail of the rope to bring the rope tight against the bollard so you can control the boat.

It's great fun and is very impressive when done right; I loved cruising into a lock ahead of the large, expensive tupperware, one of whom took about five minutes with a cacophany of revving engines, bowthrusters, and "just throw the bloody rope!" before they got attached behind us. We'd managed to slip in in neutral, come alongside at the front of the lock, and both managed to get the bollards at bow and stern simualtaneously on the first throw. I was a bit smug, I'll admit...

I found that learning, and practicing, the "lighterman's throw" was very useful on the Thames.

In short, this is a way to get a rope around a bollard without leaving the boat. You take the properly coiled length of rope, hold the tail end under your armpit or in your hand, and divide the coils into two lots, one in each hand. You can then throw with both at once, the rope makes a large U shape hopefully around the bollard, then you haul away at the tail of the rope to bring the rope tight against the bollard so you can control the boat.

Ah, is it really called the lighterman's throw, then ?

I must say on Chalice it's called the "Bones' Throw", as it was she that suggested it was a technique we might find useful.

Impressive when it works first time, but, I'll admit, slightly less so by the third attempt. :lol:

Also known as the Fincher Fumble......

Hi there

We are also moving from the K&A (at Newbury) to a new mooring at Oxford. If it would help to come along in convoy with us then you are very welcome. We are leaving Newbury on Saturday 23 May and so would be at Reading (Tescos) by Sunday lunchtime 24 May. The prison moorings should be fine for you. There are some very nice moorings along the way upstream (Beale Park, Abingdon, etc).

Depending on where in Oxford you are going to, I cannot see the trip from Reading taking more than 2.5 days (leisurely).

All you need is an anchor and river licence (do you have a Gold Licence?). Thames Lock Keepers usually want you to turn your engine off in the lock. They will wave you in when they are ready for you. You queue for entry into the lock first come first served (unless lock-keeper indicates otherwise).

Oops, I see that you said "on the Oxford" rather than "at Oxford". But we are still going the same way!

Jo.

Hi Jo,

That is a very kind offer, thankyou,

This could be perfect for me, i am present moored at Woolhampton, and was planning to do the 'run for Oxford' on that very weekend! (half term). I have a wife and two children on board, so mainly operate singlehanded as my eldest (8) seems incapable of keeping an eye on my rampant/fearless 2 year old, so my long suffering wife ends up having to marshall the situation!

Maybe we could arrange to join you as you come through or as you say at 'tesco's'?

I came past your boat the other day, small world....

At the moment my boat is grounded at Woolhampton, waiting for BW to conjure up some water from somewhere, as at present my fuel is slowly dribbling out of the filler cap due to the jaunty angle, I am stuck at work hoping that she 'bobs' back up OK!!. It is times like this i wish my life was simpler!! :lol:

cheers Gid.

PS. We are heading for Aynho.

Edited by gidh

Nick, we have never yet entered the Oxford from the Thames, but are moving to Eynsham in May. Just out of interest, what is the reason for this comment? (Because of the location of Oxford Cruisers, it is highly likely that we will always enter the Oxford from Dukes Cut, but I just wondered......).

Jo.

It's just that the twists and turns, as I recall, on the way to Isis lock need you to keep a weather eye open for your route. There are quite a lot of branching waterways here, not all of them navigable and only one route to Isis lock.

I am open to correction, though, and you might find the route up past St Barnabus' church, home of the Oxford Movement, mildly interesting.

N

Hi there

Jo.

Hi Jo,

This could be perfect for me, i am present moored at Woolhampton, and was planning to do the 'run for Oxford' on that very weekend! (half term). I have a wife and two children on board, so mainly operate singlehanded as my eldest (8) seems incapable of keeping an eye on my rampant/fearless 2 year old, so my long suffering wife ends up having to marshall the situation!

Maybe we could arrange to join you as you come through or as you say at 'tesco's'?

At the moment my boat is grounded at Woolhampton, waiting for BW to conjure up some water from somewhere, as at present my fuel is slowly dribbling out of the filler cap due to the jaunty angle, I am stuck at work hoping that she 'bobs' back up OK!!. It is times like this i wish my life was simpler!! :lol:

cheers Gid.

Woolhampton is my favourite lock on the system. Particularly when the river is in flood. It gives all the thrills of extreme narrowboating!

N

It's just that the twists and turns, as I recall, on the way to Isis lock need you to keep a weather eye open for your route. There are quite a lot of branching waterways here, not all of them navigable and only one route to Isis lock.

I am open to correction, though, and you might find the route up past St Barnabus' church, home of the Oxford Movement, mildly interesting.

Also if you come up through Isis lock you have to cope with several lift bridges which are awkward if you are effectively working single-handed.

Sounds like Dukes Cut it is then!

Fyfield Gypsy can turn off down the Cut, whilst we venture on round the corner to Eynsham.

Jo.

From Eynsham it would be easier to go to Dukes Cute for the Oxford Canal, but if you're coming other way, then it's easy to use sheepwash channel - it's the only real channel and it takes you straight to Isis lock.

- linky -

(this information doesn;t really help the OP - but might help Daftmare)

Edited by grahoom

The section of the Oxford between Isis Lock and Dukes Cut is fairly uninspiring and in common with the whole Oxford area inhabited by the worst of the "Slow Down" brigade. They seem to think that there is a way of going slower than at tick over!

The long way round through Dukes Cut is more scenic and you can stop at the Trout for a pint!

Have fun.

The section of the Oxford between Isis Lock and Dukes Cut is fairly uninspiring and in common with the whole Oxford area inhabited by the worst of the "Slow Down" brigade. They seem to think that there is a way of going slower than at tick over!

The long way round through Dukes Cut is more scenic and you can stop at the Trout for a pint!

Have fun.

Everyone seems to say that, but I think it makes a good change coming up through Oxford through Isis lock. The gardens that stretch down to the canal are lovely, and the eclectic mix of boats is visually most pleasing. Indeed, one has to go slow - but that really is just so you have more time to stare in the windows take in the scenery.

The lift bridges used to have rings on them so you could chain them down, but the farmers have taken them all off again, so it helps to have crew or a banbury pole to hand - or a lot of patience and wait for a walker to go past and hold the bridge up for you!

Either way, up the Isis and through Dukes cut are lovely stretches, it just depends what you are in the mood for when you get there.

Everyone seems to say that, but I think it makes a good change coming up through Oxford through Isis lock. The gardens that stretch down to the canal are lovely, and the eclectic mix of boats is visually most pleasing. Indeed, one has to go slow - but that really is just so you have more time to stare in the windows take in the scenery.

The lift bridges used to have rings on them so you could chain them down, but the farmers have taken them all off again, so it helps to have crew or a banbury pole to hand - or a lot of patience and wait for a walker to go past and hold the bridge up for you!

Either way, up the Isis and through Dukes cut are lovely stretches, it just depends what you are in the mood for when you get there.

Thanks for this Bones. I am sure that once we are settled at Oxford Cruisers, we will want to explore by going "round the ring" through dukes cut and down to Isis Lock. We will make sure we have crew to help with the bridges. Are you moored on that section?

Jo.

Have the anchor where you can reach it. It isn't a lot of use on the front if you are single handed. Try borrowing if you don't want to buy. Also lifejacket if you don't swim.

Sue

I have one you can borrow. PM me with times so we can get it organised. If I am home I can deliver to Fobney lock.

I have done a lot of single handing on the Thames and keep a pair of extra long river lines. The front one runs from the front stud and over the roof to just in front of the cockpit and the other is kept unattached coiled on the tiller (NOTE - this is a cruiser stern.) When approaching the lock I usually have enough time to "flick" the front rope to the correct side and then put the stern eye over the appropriate T stud. I can usually get the lines around the bollards myself and stand on the roof or lockside to hold them.

The only problem I find is that bringing the boat to a total stop with reverse usually swings the stern away from the lockside so prefer to make the final stop, from a slow speed, with the stern line but some lockies do not like it.

Hi Jo,

cheers Gid.

With an 8 yr old you have solved the problem, on the thames, of the front rope. He will soon get the hang of throwing it over the bollards and twisting it under the front stud to hold the boat.

Sue