Inverter agro-

Mary 1

Featured Posts

I HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE TO PAY, THRETENED IF I DIDN'T, THEY WOULD READVERTISE IT FOR THE EASTER WEEKEND.

m

Mary, I felt 'threatened' as well when we bought our boat. Don't listen to it! We were told all sorts of bulls*it to get us to pay up fast. They told us we were 'wasting time' because we insisted on a survey and that we had to hurry as 'someone else was interested'. In the end it took us three months to buy the boat as the mortgage brokers discovered at the last minute, that there was no valid RCD (it was an under 5 y.o. owner fit out) -

we had to wait for THEM, while they prepared the paperwork. :lol:

Mary, I felt 'threatened' as well when we bought our boat. Don't listen to it! We were told all sorts of bulls*it to get us to pay up fast. They told us we were 'wasting time' because we insisted on a survey and that we had to hurry as 'someone else was interested'. In the end it took us three months to buy the boat as the mortgage brokers discovered at the last minute, that there was no valid RCD (it was an under 5 y.o. owner fit out) -

we had to wait for THEM, while they prepared the paperwork. :lol:

Lady Muck, was this the same broker?

The problem with litigation is finding someone who actually knows what they are talking about as in the recent forum case hurleston/7'.0" width which took years to resolve and a questionable decision as the final outcome after 4 years. I'm also confused in that in a former topic you came on as a newbie asking for advice only later for you to divulge that this will be your third boat! All the advice you have been given is sound and constructive so you either stick with what you've got or ask for your money back as it would appear that your going your own way regardless of whats been said. We have had contributers in the past who were only on the forum to get us to fire the bullets I sincerely hope this is not the case here.

Thats the best advice so far, "Get some legal advice" everyone seems quick to hand out advice but I wonder how much of it is based on true knowledge or first hand experience and not anecdote or suposition. Where was the boat advertised?, where you given an oportunity to inspect it or have a survey? please define threatened? Who is the vendor? Why didn't you pull out of the deal if you where not satisfied with the specification? I was always tought that a coin has two sides, so far we have only seen one side of this one. If it's right what they they say about twelve good men and true, then I hope I'm never tried by a jury containing any of you.

I am not mentioning the company, but I have now taken the trading standards advise.

The sale of goods act 1979 says goods should be as described.

the boat advertised in water ways world for 6 months as a 1992 with an Inverter.

In there brochure given to me 15th feb, it is 1992 with a mastervolt inverter, which it is not and has not got.

I paid my deposit in march 3rd none of this came to light till much later on.

Please don't be unkind to me, I have had very little experiance, and am pretty unwell at the moment.

mary 1

I was only trying to make the point that there is two sides to every story, I'm sorry I bothered now, are you always this friendly ( ironic humour), has you mother taken your toys away, you know the boat name and where it is so feel free to drop in for a chat you clever boy, I would guess you could do with the company, or maybe the idea of emphasising this information was so that your whole gang could come with you, feel free and bring your lunch.

You must grow up, this is very silly, and not what is needed in the forum.

Mary 1

n u b c

:lol:

No Danish actually....

ha ha ha ha

N U B C

Mary you really do need to READ the many helpful posts that you solicited and that you now choose to ignore.

No-one here is going to benefit from any of the advice, ONLY YOU, yet you seem hell bent on ignoring it.

If you have been 'forced' to pay, 'threatened' if you didn't and told that they would re-advertise if you didn't, that's illegal and if I'm not mistaken a criminal offence.

Your first mistake was paying the last £1k, that was your bargaining tool to get what was advertised, delivered, i.e. the inverter, the correct one not the piece of dangerous junk offered.

The second one is now not having a survey. It may well turn out that the boat is brilliant, but what if it's not, you've already experienced how they deal with a £500 problem, what if it's a £5k problem.

My advice is to seek legal advice NOW about this whole sorry affair, I think if you do that they will be falling over themselves to put things right and more.

With the best intentions

John

I have been to tradeing Standerds, I do have a case, I have explained further down thread.

m

I was only trying to make the point that there is two sides to every story, I'm sorry I bothered now, are you always this friendly ( ironic humour), has you mother taken your toys away, you know the boat name and where it is so feel free to drop in for a chat you clever boy, I would guess you could do with the company, or maybe the idea of emphasising this information was so that your whole gang could come with you, feel free and bring your lunch.

Chill a bit I think if you stick with this forum you will find that Chrisw IS a clever boy and has given me a lot of sound advice in the past (likewise Gibbo)

Mary if you are ill and by yourself what are you going to do with yoour boat?

Sue

I am so stressed out, and sad over all this, I have bought boats before, no problems at all. All I want to do at the moment is sleep, but will get over it. I am sure come the warmer weather, I don't even feel like going to the marina to see the boat, It can stay there till all sorted out. I have told them that too.

I am having an eye operation next week wed. Then hopefully will get my act together

m

I am so stressed out, and sad over all this, I have bought boats before, no problems at all. All I want to do at the moment is sleep, but will get over it. I am sure come the warmer weather, I don't even feel like going to the marina to see the boat, It can stay there till all sorted out. I have told them that too.

I am having an eye operation next week wed. Then hopefully will get my act together

m

Dont let the barstewards get you down its gonna be a fine weekend grab a couple of bottles of wine sit back and enjoy the world going round196.gif

m

Good luck with your eye op. That is an ordeal. You didn't answer my question though. Are you going to cruise or keep it in a marina? Just curious

Sue

Edited by sueb

You must grow up, this is very silly, and not what is needed in the forum.

Mary 1

Mary, thank you I will try, however none of it was meant with malice and I feel sure Chris W took it in the eventual manner in which it was intended.

why did you choose to respond to this part of my message and not answer the questions that I asked, forgive me for saying but there appears to be a common theme running through your threads here ie, you ask for advice, help, pity etc then choose to ignore the bits you don't like and revert to the helpless female, I'm not sure how helpless someone who has owned three boats can be but I'm pretty sure it's not as helpless as you make out.

I was rather hoping Lady Muck would answer for herself.

BN

Thats the best advice so far, "Get some legal advice" everyone seems quick to hand out advice but I wonder how much of it is based on true knowledge or first hand experience and not anecdote or suposition. Where was the boat advertised?, where you given an oportunity to inspect it or have a survey? please define threatened? Who is the vendor? Why didn't you pull out of the deal if you where not satisfied with the specification? I was always tought that a coin has two sides, so far we have only seen one side of this one. If it's right what they they say about twelve good men and true, then I hope I'm never tried by a jury containing any of you.

The answers- I have now been to trading standards, they know the law, where a solicitor would need to look it up.

Add was in all the waterways world and canal mags since dec 08, with the new and used boat co. boat name is FLUTTERBYE 7 issues, no I have not paid that price, I did a good bit of haggling first. something I am v good at. Yes I did inspect it, un accomanied, as it was a very snowy day, and the sales staff did not want to get cold, it was Feb 15th 09. They just handed me a bunch of keys. Yes I did book a survey for the 20th April at gayton. with Ian wakeling. I met the owner at the boat at blissworth at the end of march, he showed me all the boat workings,He is a boat fitter, was, but due to an accident he no longer is able to boat. I found him one of the most kind and pleasant people along with his wife. He has fitted some very good ideas to the boat. Every thing worked, and I mean everything. I have also spoken to his engineer, who has done engine maintenance when necessary. I was totally happy with every thing, UNTILL no INVERTER came to light. I had already paid the deposit on March 3rd. It was then that I decided not to have a survey, this boat had been a live aboard in a marina, plugged in. She has only done 500 hours from new. The odd holiday, thats all. Now you can see why I did not spend another £1000 on the lift etc. I would be having it blacked in the autumn, or if there was a summer special offer on.

I was threatened by the company, if I did not pay now they were going to re add it for Easter.

mary 1

The answers- I have now been to trading standards, they know the law, where a solicitor would need to look it up.

Add was in all the waterways world and canal mags since dec 08, with the new and used boat co. boat name is FLUTTERBYE 7 issues, no I have not paid that price, I did a good bit of haggling first. something I am v good at. Yes I did inspect it, un accomanied, as it was a very snowy day, and the sales staff did not want to get cold, it was Feb 15th 09. They just handed me a bunch of keys. Yes I did book a survey for the 20th April at gayton. with Ian wakeling. I met the owner at the boat at blissworth at the end of march, he showed me all the boat workings,He is a boat fitter, was, but due to an accident he no longer is able to boat. I found him one of the most kind and pleasant people along with his wife. He has fitted some very good ideas to the boat. Every thing worked, and I mean everything. I have also spoken to his engineer, who has done engine maintenance when necessary. I was totally happy with every thing, UNTILL no INVERTER came to light. I had already paid the deposit on March 3rd. It was then that I decided not to have a survey, this boat had been a live aboard in a marina, plugged in. She has only done 500 hours from new. The odd holiday, thats all. Now you can see why I did not spend another £1000 on the lift etc. I would be having it blacked in the autumn, or if there was a summer special offer on.

I was threatened by the company, if I did not pay now they were going to re add it for Easter.

mary 1

So as I understand it, you where given the opportunity to inspect the boat, poor weather not withstanding where you prevented from accessing it on an alternative day? ( the weather can hardly be said to be anyones fault), you elected not to have a survey against all sound advice, you where aware that there was no inverter prior to completeing the purchase and you where also aware of the identity of the vendor ( I asume this means that the company where acting on his behalf rather than their own ) Is it fair to say that the company offered you an alternative ( the smaller inverter ) once the situation became apparant and did you accept that alternative, reluctantly or otherwise and continue to conclude the sale?

I asked you to define "threatening" in this context not name who allegedly threatened you, I'm not sure I would have made such a bold statement on an open forum, but then if you have proof this was the case then I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing.

BN

Just to say I have seen the sales details for this boat and it does say Mastervolt Inverter.

I don't think there is anything else to say.

Martyn

edited: There are the normal disclaimers on the foot of the sales details.

Edited by Nightwatch1

Just to say I have seen the sales details for this boat and it does say Mastervolt Inverter.

I don't think there is anything else to say.

Martyn

edited: There are the normal disclaimers on the foot of the sales details.

Except that on the particulars or not she still new that there was no inverter before she decided to complete the sale. I don't understand how you can say you've been "shafted" when you are fully aware of the situation, if you're not happy at that point surely you should back out of the sale or accept the new specification. I would go so far as to say that Mary could be said to be trying to take advantage of a genuine mistake.

BN

Except that on the particulars or not she still new that there was no inverter before she decided to complete the sale. I don't understand how you can say you've been "shafted" when you are fully aware of the situation, if you're not happy at that point surely you should back out of the sale or accept the new specification. I would go so far as to say that Mary could be said to be trying to take advantage of a genuine mistake.

BN

You don't work for said broker do you?

Don't bite me edd orf, just asking.

You don't work for said broker do you?

Don't bite me edd orf, just asking.

Certainly not, I'm just playing devils advocate, however I stand by my previous statement regarding knowing what you are getting into.

It still amazes me how otherwise sane and rational people ( forum members ) are prepared to jump to conclusions and accept one version of events without question, I would hazard a guess that if this disagreement was between two individual forum members the concencus of opinion would be closer to 50 / 50 in support of each party, but as it appears to be between an apparently helpless female and a huge evil, profiteering, national conglomeration, the support all seems to go one way. That is to say if the mistake was made by an individual then that is what it would be seen as, a genuine mistake, however if the mistake is made by a company, which incidentally are made up of individuals, then it is portrayed as a deliberate and cynical attempt to swindle someone.

I'm not saying this is the case only that it is a point that should be considered.

BN

That is to say if the mistake was made by an individual then that is what it would be seen as, a genuine mistake, however if the mistake is made by a company, which incidentally are made up of individuals, then it is portrayed as a deliberate and cynical attempt to swindle someone.

To be fair, if there has been a genuine mistake and the vendor had made a genuine effort to rectify the mistake then there'd be no issue.

BN

OK cleaver Dick, what about all the advertising in the mag's with the inverter and 1992 year. That did not come to light till I had paid.

m

OK cleaver Dick, what about all the advertising in the mag's with the inverter and 1992 year. That did not come to light till I had paid.

m

You're missing the point, that being that you appeared to be aware that there was no inverter before you completed the sale, right or wrong? What explanation have they offered regarding the year?

There's no need to get narky, just because I offer a point of view that appears to differ from yours, state your case I'm here to be convinced.

You're missing the point, that being that you appeared to be aware that there was no inverter before you completed the sale, right or wrong? What explanation have they offered regarding the year?

There's no need to get narky, just because I offer a point of view that appears to differ from yours, state your case I'm here to be convinced.

I wanted the boat, it is a lovely nb. I was pushed to pay up before the Easter weekend, and the threat to re advertise it, on a promise from Richard Scowen' trust me he said, I will sort out an Inverter for you' so being a person who does trust people, I did trust him, paid the £1000 I was holding, He then on the following wed after Easter gave me this box, to fit via crocks. I tiold him I was not happy about it, and that I had be warned not to fit it via crocks by the help on the forum, He must of been aware how unsafe it was, with my boat moored among all the brokerage boats, and the new widebeams, not to mention all the marina boats.

m

Hi Mary,

I'm not sure where we are in revealing who the brokerage is, but putting "R****** S***** canal" into google will identify a particular marina via Jim Shead's website. Is that the one you are dealing with? If not, can you take his name out of your post.

Richard

edited to follow Alan's lead

Edited by RLWP