... or know this one?

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

I'll hazard an uninitiated guess here, but could the square thing, [don't know what it's called, :lol: obviously, :lol:] be what they towed it with, it looks square at the top with chamfers lower down?

It does look like some sort of Timber Head or Samson Post, hard to judge exactly where in the boat it is. Might be on the cabin bulkhead near the side, might be further back.

Tim

It does look like some sort of Timber Head or Samson Post, hard to judge exactly where in the boat it is. Might be on the cabin bulkhead near the side, might be further back.

Tim

Most continental flat bottomed boats have their planking fore and aft, while transverse bottom planks are much more of an English phenomenon, probably the result of our shallow canals where touching the bottom is more common. I have done quite a lot of research into inland waterway wooden boats, and I can't remember seeing any old wooden boats on the continent with transverse bottom planks, though my memory is getting, what's the word, ummm, vague. It is almost certain that boats off the wide northern waterways were sent to France in the First WW as I think some ACN tugs were sent. They could go under their own steam, but how would you transport a narrow boat. Would it make sense to send them as deck cargo when cross Channel traffic was at a premium.

Whilst the stories of FMC narrow boats going over to Dunkirk are generally now dismissed as a boatman's wind-up, there are more plausible stories of boats being taken over in the 1st World War to use to help supply munitions and provisions to the trenches. I believe an extensive railway network was built for this purpose so it seems entirely possible that boats were also utilised when appropriate.

Paul H

I guess you are referring to the Canal de la Somme : LInk

Gunboat

flivver05.jpg

Cappy

flivver11.jpg

From this website: Here

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Most continental flat bottomed boats have their planking fore and aft, while transverse bottom planks are much more of an English phenomenon, probably the result of our shallow canals where touching the bottom is more common. I have done quite a lot of research into inland waterway wooden boats, and I can't remember seeing any old wooden boats on the continent with transverse bottom planks, though my memory is getting, what's the word, ummm, vague. It is almost certain that boats off the wide northern waterways were sent to France in the First WW as I think some ACN tugs were sent. They could go under their own steam, but how would you transport a narrow boat. Would it make sense to send them as deck cargo when cross Channel traffic was at a premium.

Pure conjecture, you could either fill the boat with cargo on deck, or take them over in bits to be put together on the other side?

Well there are many different types of boats, that were built by Walker Bros, some more shapely than others (I particularly like the Whalers, built in 1945). By "Ricky", though, I was referring to the Star and Town Class boats that are the most recognisable of the Walker Bros' boats. These formed the vast bulk of the boats built at Rickmansworth and are what most folk describe as "Big or Small Rickys".

Whilst Arveleecom has a massive stempost rake, she lacks the double curvature that Rigolo's bows have, leading me to think she is an Uxbridge boat.

Watten.jpg

I got this photo with a handful of French postcards of péniches. The name is "Rigolo" but that does not seem likely as original. On the back it says "La famille Thérèse Morette à Watten"

Watten is on the Canal à Grand Gabarit between Calais and St Omer in N. France. Any suggestions? Di reckons it was probably in the '40s from the clothes.

(bumped photo)

The article about FMC by Alan Faulkner in Narrow Boat Magazine Spring 2007 has a stern view of the FMC wideboats Braunston, Isleworth, Harefield and Islington all built at Uxbridge between 1911-12. "All four were requisitioned during the First World War for service on the continent and they never returned." They were 72ft long by 10ft 6ins wide. The pic shows chunky wooden top rubbing bands running down the side.

I'll eat my (trilby) hat if Rigolo isn't one of these.

Paul H

PS Anyone got a copy of this mag and a scanner?

Edited by Paul H

They were 72ft wide by 10ft 6ins. The pic shows chunky wooden top rubbing bands running down the side.

I'll eat my (trilby) hat if Rigolo isn't one of these.

Sorry Paul, I don't buy it.

No way is the boat in the picture 72ft wide.

:lol:

(bumped photo)

The article about FMC by Alan Faulkner in Narrow Boat Magazine Spring 2007 has a stern view of the FMC wideboats Braunston, Isleworth, Harefield and Islington all built at Uxbridge between 1911-12.

Anyone got a copy of this mag and a scanner?

I'd love to see more on that if anyone has access to it.

On Alan's point, just think how much could be saved in mooring fees with a boat 10'6" long and 72' in the beam.

alan_fincher Posted Today, 03:25 PM

I'd love to see more on that if anyone has access to it.

On Alan's point, just think how much could be saved in mooring fees with a boat 10'6" long and 72' in the beam.

alan_fincher Posted Today, 03:25 PM

Here it is!

I got a friend to scan it for me. I know the pic is from the wrong end but the chunky wooden rubbing strakes come out well.

Paul H

fmc_wideboats1.jpg

Here it is!

I got a friend to scan it for me. I know the pic is from the wrong end but the chunky wooden rubbing strakes come out well.

Paul H

Brilliant photo, thanks. Been well loaded too, haven't they.

• 2 months later...
Watten.jpg

I got this photo with a handful of French postcards of péniches. The name is "Rigolo" but that does not seem likely as original. On the back it says "La famille Thérèse Morette à Watten"

Watten is on the Canal à Grand Gabarit between Calais and St Omer in N. France. Any suggestions? Di reckons it was probably in the '40s from the clothes.

Hello, the woman on this picture is my grand mother :lol:

The town is Watten, in the North of france. Can I see a picture of the back of the postcard ?

Edited by nicodeb

The town is Watten, in the North of france. Can I see a picture of the back of the postcard ?

Wonderful! You might not get a reply from Tam straight away as they are back and forth - France to England, but I feel sure they will be delighted and post the reverse (hopefully, - or maybe PM you with it).

Can you tell us more about the circumstances surrounding the picture please?

Derek

The name certainly looks "Photoshopped" on. The white panel is marginally higher tha te surrounding woodwork at the "nose" end.
Could that not be wear/lose from the mooring ropes etc on the timber?

Could that not be wear/lose from the mooring ropes etc on the timber?

No, forget it!

We had had one or two scams on here, and at first this one looked to be following the trend.

I have for a while been convinced it;s genuine.

Wonderful stuff!.

Please tell us what you can - there must be a very interesting story here, I feel sure.

No, forget it!

We had had one or two scams on here, and at first this one looked to be following the trend.

I have for a while been convinced it;s genuine.

Wonderful stuff!.

Please tell us what you can - there must be a very interesting story here, I feel sure.

my great grand father was a builder of barges, and I guess the picture is from the site. Then i'm surprise that my grand mother is on a postcard ;-) . I'll send the picture ti my father to have more details.

my great grand father was a builder of barges, and I guess the picture is from the site. Then i'm surprise that my grand mother is on a postcard ;-) . I'll send the picture ti my father to have more details.

This opens up a whole avenue of questions as to who your Grandfather was, where he built barges and who for (if not himself of course), and what were the circumstances surrounding the photo and the location. Perhaps that might be your Father with his arm against the stem post! However, whilst I'm certain other members would be fascinated in knowing all this - especially if it related to historic vessels over here, and a rare photo of one which is in the shot - it does intrude into your family ties and origins into which I am sure no-one wishes to delve with any disrespect, and which I am sure are private and may not be willingly shared as fascinating as it appears right now. It's an interesting link all the same, but will be up to you if you decide to share.

Regards - Derek

There were two photos, though we did get them at the same time as a couple of postcards. The first had on the back "la famille Thérèse Morette à Watten" as I noted in the original mail. This second one has nothing, though one of the women does look to be the woman in front of Rigolo. I can't really read the name of the Chaland properly, even when I've enlarged it, but looks to be something like "Nicer".

We'd be really interested to hear any details you might find out about them.

It does seem remarkable to have someone coming onto this forum with family connections to a couple of obscure photos.

Watten-2red.jpg

It does seem remarkable to have someone coming onto this forum with family connections to a couple of obscure photos.

Not really.

If someone is researching their family tree and googles "Morette Watten", this comes up at result number 5.

I can't really read the name of the Chaland properly, even when I've enlarged it, but looks to be something like "Nicer".

I think Niger would be more likely - a former French colony.

Tim

I think Niger would be more likely - a former French colony.

Tim

I'd go for Niger too, and whilst a former French colony, many boats were named after the owners names using a combination of a few letter from each. Some strange names would appear like Jaju - Jaques & Julliet. Niger - Nicholas & Gertrude?

Who knows!

Derek

• 9 months later...

Only just seen this post. This is a Fellows Morton and Clayton wide boat built at Uxbridge. Six were sent to France in world war 1 and were not returned. The t stud is Uxbridge design and the only thing missing is the guards. I was told a few years ago this boat still exists.

These pictures were taken in 1981 near to Dunkerque, there were a lot of wooden peniches about, I cannot for the life of me remember exactly where they were. Our route was from Saint omer meandering to Dunquerqe and we were looking at canals, we saw a boat that looked like the "Rigolo" but had no film left as it was our last day on hol.

gallery_5000_522_138276.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg