Another Boat Builder goes under

canalcruiser

Featured Posts

Just noticed in the local paper that Barry Hawkins Boatbuilders has called a meeting of creditors. Lets hope that no boaters have been hit.

Chris

Seems to me this is going to be a period of industry 'shake out'. Which in some ways - dare I say it - will be a good thing as it will get rid of the badly run companies.

Don't like to see folk losing their money so its all more important to make sure all the watertight arrangements such as stage payments are put in place. Least then if a company does go tits up the revenue etc can't confiscate your boat.

Rightly or wrongly, I have always thought Barry Hawkins to be a upper quality builder.

I think it is sad when any business goes under.

Martyn

Indeed, a BH boat would have been in my top 3 choices should I win the lottery. Still, a creditors meeting may not be the complete end for the company but it is not a good sign.

Indeed, a BH boat would have been in my top 3 choices should I win the lottery. Still, a creditors meeting may not be the complete end for the company but it is not a good sign.

I think he attempted a resurrection a few months ago, though, so I guess the restructuring didn't work out.

Thread about him, here:

Clicky

Theres one of Barry Hawkins NB builds in the marina next to me. 1996 seems a bit pricey though

What do you think ?

http://www.bridgehousemarina.co.uk/boatmor...?BoatIDParam=25

That boat was built by GT narrowboats, Barry Hawkins only fitted it, according to the ad.

There's a big difference between a boat builder and a boat fitter :lol:

I think he attempted a resurrection a few months ago, though, so I guess the restructuring didn't work out.

Thread about him, here:

Clicky

Sadly that looks the case, such a pity. I hope something can be done but it may be a case in point of "quality" does not always sell and if you don't have a sound business model or more simply a healthy order book then no matter how good the product the business can't survive.

comodity prices have gone through the floor which might help builders somewhat or is that just an ugly rumor.

Raw materials are cheaper but I guess even so if you don't have an order book enough to employ the people (probably a significant portion of the costs) then low material costs aren't going to help.

Seems to me this is going to be a period of industry 'shake out'. Which in some ways - dare I say it - will be a good thing as it will get rid of the badly run companies.

Don't like to see folk losing their money so its all more important to make sure all the watertight arrangements such as stage payments are put in place. Least then if a company does go tits up the revenue etc can't confiscate your boat.

I don`t like to see folk loose their jobs.

Barry Hawkins is a boat builder.

One of the better Boat Fitters, Barry Hawkins was one of the co-authors of the first WW Narrowboat Builders series.. It was my bible for many years (until someone on this forum borrowed it)..

Can't remember if NB Rome belonged to him or his partner.. The general standard of fitting out was far better then than it is now with the boring multi shades of brown and Ikea look-alike furnishings.

Edit; Just remembered the first boat they built/ fitted out was Kottingham.. About 50ft with a restored vintage Petter.

Edited by John Orentas

Yep and I think he's a fine one too, but in this case, that ad says that it is a GT hull with a Barry Hawkins fitout.

True.

I bet it's one of the best (quality) fit outs in any GT (or any other mid-range) shell, though.

Edited by carlt

Just because a company goes under doesn't mean it's a bad company. My particular company has an excellent reputation with almost 100% customer satisfaction, and it's not impossible that we could go under. The factors that make any company fold are many, for instance if a business is owed money from another company that goes bust, then it can have the same effect the same effect on that business as it won't get paid. Enquiries for my particular business are down 90% however the same level of advertising and marketing still exists within the business. You can,t force people to use the services you supply.

If a boat builder doesn't get orders then there's no income, if he's invested in machinery & equipment has a lease on premises, pays rates etc etc these bills have to be paid, if not you have no option other than to liquidate.

Many business that are offering good quality services are in fact probably more at risk, as they may well have borrowed in the good times to expand and improve their business. If custom falls off due to recession, your commitments and loan payments don't go away.

Yep and I think he's a fine one too, but in this case, that ad says that it is a GT hull with a Barry Hawkins fitout.

Barry Hawkins fitted out a lot of shells from different sources. His shell building was a latterday thing I believe. It is very sad to see them go, but I hope they return. Their joinery was excellent.

Very sad to see well respected names going out of business.

The unfriendly attitude towards SME's in UK, particularly in respect to taxation and even worse the increasing bureaucracy, are now starting to have a serious effect.

comodity prices have gone through the floor which might help builders somewhat or is that just an ugly rumor.

Probably an ugly rumour. Some commodities are indeed down, but it doesn't benefit the UK because of the weak currency.

Barry Hawkins is one of the best.. A cut above the average clonecraft.

You're right,carlt.I'm very sorry to hear of Barry Hawkins closing down.As an ex-boatbuilder,I always found his&Mel Davis' boat's to be the prettiest,most individual boats around.A sad loss.

One of the better Boat Fitters, Barry Hawkins was one of the co-authors of the first WW Narrowboat Builders series.. It was my bible for many years (until someone on this forum borrowed it)..

Can't remember if NB Rome belonged to him or his partner.. The general standard of fitting out was far better then than it is now with the boring multi shades of brown and Ikea look-alike furnishings.

Edit; Just remembered the first boat they built/ fitted out was Kottingham.. About 50ft with a restored vintage Petter.

I thought Rome belonged to Graham Booth. Whatever , if Barry Hawkins have gone it`s to be much regretted.

Just because a company goes under doesn't mean it's a bad company. My particular company has an excellent reputation with almost 100% customer satisfaction, and it's not impossible that we could go under. The factors that make any company fold are many, for instance if a business is owed money from another company that goes bust, then it can have the same effect the same effect on that business as it won't get paid. Enquiries for my particular business are down 90% however the same level of advertising and marketing still exists within the business. You can,t force people to use the services you supply.

If a boat builder doesn't get orders then there's no income, if he's invested in machinery & equipment has a lease on premises, pays rates etc etc these bills have to be paid, if not you have no option other than to liquidate.

Many business that are offering good quality services are in fact probably more at risk, as they may well have borrowed in the good times to expand and improve their business. If custom falls off due to recession, your commitments and loan payments don't go away.

You have my sympathy. Our business is holding up well - the trouble is other businesses who owe us money are either struggling and can`t pay or already gone, and there is bugger all we can do about it. The canal market is the worst hit of all the ones we sell paint in and I fear a lot more good companies may not survive.

You have my sympathy. Our business is holding up well - the trouble is other businesses who owe us money are either struggling and can`t pay or already gone, and there is bugger all we can do about it. The canal market is the worst hit of all the ones we sell paint in and I fear a lot more good companies may not survive.

Hi Phil

Glad you're holding up ok.

Up to the end Jan things weren't too bad I had already downsized the company in prep for the recession. However the fall in enquiries in Jan 09 and up to now is pretty dire to say the least. Fortunately I don't have your problem of being owed money from businesses that might fold. Our problem is simply no one is buying or selling their houses, so we'not moving them or storing their goods. The other problem is that other removal companies desperate for business are quoting almost cost price for removals which makes things even more difficult LOL So all we can do is plod on, and as I type I have just received an acceptance for a small £250.00 removal LOL so that's one job in the book in the next fortnight LOL

I will be painting the boat this summer, so will be contacting you in a couple of months for paint :lol: or if you don't deal directly with customers a recommended outlet for your paint somewhere near Devises.

Do you have a web site btw