Some really nice boats up for sale at the moment

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

I can't help noticing that there are some really nice boats up for sale at the moment. The variety seems far greater than it was when Jane and I were searching just over three years ago.

A quick look on Apollo Duck found a very close relative of 'Alnwick', a nicely converted FMC steamer, a very attractive small Northwich replica and lots more. Click on the link below to use the same search criteria.

Clicky

I have no connection with the website, just curious as to why so many nice boats are suddenly appearing.

I would agree with the comments relating to the number of boats offered for sale, the boats listed in the “clicky” suit our taste and some are within our budget. Unfortunately, despite saving every spare penny for the past two years we now find ourselves in a climate where job security is none existent. To commit money to a boat now would be an act of stupidity whilst we still have a mortgage, so the boat goes on the back burner once again.

Fortunately, a forum member on here offers a very fine R.W. Davis Tug for hire at a very reasonable price, we have taken Florence out three times in the past 12 months and can only recommend the experience.

I notice that the butty Argo, owned by forum member Simon, is also up for sale on Apollo Duck.

No doubt it's had a forum mention before, but my memory isn't improving!

Nice to see it still has a wooden bottom.

I can't help noticing that there are some really nice boats up for sale at the moment. The variety seems far greater than it was when Jane and I were searching just over three years ago.

A quick look on Apollo Duck found a very close relative of 'Alnwick', a nicely converted FMC steamer, a very attractive small Northwich replica and lots more. Click on the link below to use the same search criteria.

Clicky

I have no connection with the website, just curious as to why so many nice boats are suddenly appearing.

Now, that IS gorgeous. What a shame BONES isn't worth that much or I would sell up and swap!

Clicky

A very nice boat indeed!

I suspect any increase in supply is due to many factors rather than just the "credit crunch". It is winter after all and I recall when I started looking for a boat it was winter time when I trawled the online sites and there was a lot around then too.

Looking at the availability of boats is a hard habit to break (like many of us) and it seems to me good boats still sell ( at all price ranges except for perhaps the most expensive) so although availability may be up a bit there are still buyers.

Also I notice that some of the tugs listed in the clicky you supplied have been available for some months either on that site or elsewhere.

Edited by churchward

To the best of my knowledge 2 of the 3 have been sold to fund the purchase of ex working boats.

I think that the quality end of the market is still relatively firm.

Alkaid, the Small Nortwhich replica used to belong to a fellow forum member, WorkingBoats. I beleive that has now been sold and they have now moved on to Southern Cross, a Small Woolwich motor. Good luck guys.

I think one or two others on that page have been sold too, like the recent link FadeToScarlet posted.

I notice that the butty Argo, owned by forum member Simon, is also up for sale on Apollo Duck.

No doubt it's had a forum mention before, but my memory isn't improving!

Nice to see it still has a wooden bottom.

the moter to is up for sale as well, and there is an old wooden walton on the same site as well for £3000 though there is no photo of that and is said to need recorking and has not been out of the water for some time.

Edited by greywolf

there is an old wooden walton on the same site as well for £3000 though there is no photo of that and is said to need recorking and has not been out of the water for some time.

I've not seen her for some years but Indus was a lovely little boat (as are all Waltons).

Dead easy to work on, compared to work boats, too.

I've not seen her for some years but Indus was a lovely little boat (as are all Waltons).

We had a 35' centre cockpit Walton cruiser many years ago. Cracking boat! Oak on Elm and an air cooled Lister twin pot IIRC. She was call 'Samuel Barlow' under our stewardship.

Broke my fathers heart when we sold her. The new owner took her down the Thames in flood conditions (against lock keepers advice) and removed a large proportion of the mahogany plank cabin on the bridge at Newbridge. Last seen heading to Tooleys at Banbury in a sorry state to be repaired.

It looks as if NB 'Alfred', the 62ft R.W. Davis 'Northwich Trader' (the first one to be built after 'Alnwick' which was the prototype) has been sold already!

I would love to know if it has been bought by a member of this forum . . .

Not a member of the forum to my knowledge, but I am selling their previous boat at the moment. They have been after an RWD Northwich Trader for some time and were going to get a new one built - until Alfred popped up. I had a look over Alfred last autumn - beautiful boat, in and out.

I've just had another look at Indus, to see how she's doing:

Clicky

£1020, with 2 days to go seems a very good price but, when I scrolled down and saw that the vendor had refused an offer of £4k!! For a Walton needing work!

The phrase "Snatch his hand off!!" should definitely have applied.