Multimeter Recommendation Please

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Can anybody recommend a digital multimeter meeting the following requirements.

1) DC Volts accuracy no worse than +/- 0.5%

2) Autoranging

3) Full sized, rather than "pocket sized"

4) Preferably a function to "hold" a reading

5) Preferably no more than £20 to £25 including VAT & carriage.

I thought I'd found my ideal at Rapid Electronics, but their claim of +/- 0.3% accuracy in their web data sheet is contradicted by the +/- 0.7% in the instruction book - it's been sent back.

Most of Maplin's autoranging meters do not give the required accuracy.

Please don't tell me to buy a Fluke - unless there's a real bargain on e-Bay, I can't justify the expense.

Alan

Alan

I use this one on the boat (£30 from Maplins). It also has surface temperature measurement (useful on a boat), and a hold facility plus frequency and capacitance measurement. Accuracy on DC voltage is +/-0.5% too. It even tells you which holes to plug the leads into for any particular measurement and has a rubber protective jacket on it too. The very large display is also handy.

It's a very nice meter at the price.

see here

Chris

Edited by chris w

I know you said "not Rapid!" but we bought three of these................

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-2-52...-multimeter.asp

I didn't even read the spec sheet as they're usually worthless. The spec sheet comes from the marketing department and bears no relation whatsoever to the actual spec. My own measured accuracy on these meters was within 0.1% on all ranges.

This one from Maplin.........

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...664&doy=2m5

Was absolutely crap as far as accuracy was concerned.

Original post here............

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...0&start=140 post #143

Gibbo

Edited to add: The Rapid ones are still going strong and have not caused any problems. The Maplin ones have been relegated to a "yes there's some voltage there" function.

Edited by Gibbo

I know you said "not Rapid!" but we bought three of these................

I didn't even read the spec sheet as they're usually worthless. The spec sheet comes from the marketing department and bears no relation whatsoever to the actual spec. My own measured accuracy on these meters was within 0.1% on all ranges.

Looks like a Mastech (OEM) meter:

http://www.p-mastech.com/products/cat04.html

I have two different other models, don't know how accurate they are but they're bang on with respect to each other.

cheers,

Pete.

Looks like a Mastech (OEM) meter:

http://www.p-mastech.com/products/cat04.html

I have two different other models, don't know how accurate they are but they're bang on with respect to each other.

Yeah it certainly looks like one of those. I'm really impressed with them for the money. Don't know how long they'll last but they show no signs of anything breaking or falling off so far.

Gibbo

So if i buy two of these, will anyone on here kill me for it?

- I presume the HUGE number of possitions is because its no auto ranging? Seams to be the one down side. I dont thing i can handle that many posstions.

Recommended earlier in the thread.

- We actually have a fluke 12 on the boat. But i need a replacement jobbie meter as mines not playing game any more. At which point dad piped up he not got one either. So that his Christmas present sorted.

Just for general fault tracing on cars, quick readouts. Seams to read 20amps rather than the usually 10 too. Accuracy not over important.

Also watching a Mk3 Fluke 75 (and a mk1) on ebay, but i expect both will go for over £30 which is about my budget i think.

Daniel

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

However, unless I'm missing something, none of the suggestions posted are autoranging.

Is there a reason why nobody seems to go for these ?

OK, I realise if I'm measuring "12 volt" or "240 volt" electrics I can correctly guess what range to use on a manual one, but in some other applications I find it useful if the multimeter sorts that out for me.

Bizarrely although the Rapid meter (at well over £20) I sent back only claimed on arrival to do +/- 0.8% accuracy on DV volts, this one....

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners...ultimeter/74585

which I did buy and keep, costs under a tenner, is autoranging, and claims +/- 0.5%.

That one's fine to leave on the boat, but I'd like to replace my main one with something of at least equal accuracy, with better readability (bigger display for a start), and if it throws in a few extra measurements like capacitance, temperature, transistor tester, etc that would be a bonus.

Maybe I'll keep an eye on e-Bay for a bargain - it's not an urgent requirement.

Yeah, ditto. I for one do not consider "39 modes" as a selling point.

My skytronic has/had about 16, eight each side, and i still only used about two of them. Not needing to test a trasistor or anything like that.

Daniel

Alan

Have you misunderstood what "Autoranging" means?

It doesn't auto select for volts/amps/ohms etc. You still have to do that yourself.

It doesn't auto select for AC/DC. You still have to do that.

If you set it on the wrong range on volts (for example) it will either just show a very low reading (say 0.002 volts) in which case you change the range or it will show "OL" or something similar.

Many of our meters are autoranging but we rarely use them as such. They have a habit of selecting the wrong one. I really don't see "Autoranging" as being any sort of advantage or desirable feature.

Gibbo

Much more useful is the ability to hold a reading for you. When you can't see the meter, and you're groping around in some dark corner trying to get a voltage measurement, the meter 'bleeps' and takes a reading so you can then emerge from the corner and then look at the meter.

Alan

Have you misunderstood what "Autoranging" means?

It doesn't auto select for volts/amps/ohms etc. You still have to do that yourself.

It doesn't auto select for AC/DC. You still have to do that.

If you set it on the wrong range on volts (for example) it will either just show a very low reading (say 0.002 volts) in which case you change the range or it will show "OL" or something similar.

Many of our meters are autoranging but we rarely use them as such. They have a habit of selecting the wrong one. I really don't see "Autoranging" as being any sort of advantage or desirable feature.

Gibbo

Without being funny, having owned an autoranging multimeter from the days where they were a bit of a novelty, I do understand what they will and will not do for you.

My existing one, (which I'm warming to), has never failed to automatically select the range I'd consider appropriate, so I think that's an improvement on having to select it.

It appears not all may be as clever ?

I'm not so up to speed on creosoting fenders, though.

Much more useful is the ability to hold a reading for you. When you can't see the meter, and you're groping around in some dark corner trying to get a voltage measurement, the meter 'bleeps' and takes a reading so you can then emerge from the corner and then look at the meter.

Agreed - that's why I included it in my original wish list. :lol: My old faithful can't do this, but the £10 offering I have now bought for the boat can.

Alan

Ahh, annoyed. The Mk3 Fluke75 went for £36, set at alarm and everything, 11.30 sunday night but ended up a a party!

- Might big on another later but its all geting closer to christmas.

Rubbish, £15 maplins special it is the dad.

Daniel

Would anyone like to buy a model 8 Avometer, complete with its original leather case? Autoranging (if you can get someone else to twiddle the dials for you) and peak-holding (if you can get someone else to hold the probes in place while you read the dial). Also shockproof (must be, I've never managed to crack the glass by making faces at it) self-winding and overload-protected.

Would anyone like to buy a model 8 Avometer, complete with its original leather case? Autoranging (if you can get someone else to twiddle the dials for you) and peak-holding (if you can get someone else to hold the probes in place while you read the dial). Also shockproof (must be, I've never managed to crack the glass by making faces at it) self-winding and overload-protected.

Ah, happy days. I did a course at Bromsgove tech that included teaching you how to test a transistor using an Avo and a wetted finger.

Richard

Yes, a single transistor. Imagine!

Ah, happy days. I did a course at Bromsgove tech that included teaching you how to test a transistor using an Avo and a wetted finger.

Richard

Yes, a single transistor. Imagine!

I remember courses like that. I still reckon I can tell the voltage of a 9-volt battery to within about a quarter of a volt, by placing it on my tongue.

I've got an LED headlight for such eventualities :lol:

In the end I decided to go for this one.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46392

which is same manufacturer as Chris' recommendation but a bit more portable.

It's not autoranging, but I can live with that, has a massive display, with bacligght if required, and a convenient hold function. It will also measure temperature, and, despite what Maplin's site says, does include the thermocouple.

I've no way of testing it's accuracy, but three different meters, (this one, a small one bought from Rapid Electronics, and my very, very old one), all read the same against a given DC source, so I think it unlikely they are all very far out.

The only trouble is I can never visit Maplin without buying something I never went for. But at under a tenner the new solder station will probably be a better bet than my pair if decrepit 40 year old Antex soldering irons.