Multimeter Recommendation Please

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The only trouble is I can never visit Maplin without buying something I never went for. But at under a tenner the new solder station will probably be a better bet than my pair if decrepit 40 year old Antex soldering irons.

That's a real deal..... I have the same one and it's really good......it was priced at £30.......aaargh......

Hi Alan,

I use a UT58 by the same maker (Uni-Trend). Found it to be a good meter.

In the end I decided to go for this one.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46392

which is same manufacturer as Chris' recommendation but a bit more portable.

It's not autoranging, but I can live with that, has a massive display, with bacligght if required, and a convenient hold function. It will also measure temperature, and, despite what Maplin's site says, does include the thermocouple.

I've no way of testing it's accuracy, but three different meters, (this one, a small one bought from Rapid Electronics, and my very, very old one), all read the same against a given DC source, so I think it unlikely they are all very far out.

The only trouble is I can never visit Maplin without buying something I never went for. But at under a tenner the new solder station will probably be a better bet than my pair if decrepit 40 year old Antex soldering irons.