Holding Tanks

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

You have to pump it yourself.

Does yours have the same pump, with a two way switch, for filling the bowl, then emptying it?

Mine is like that and the valve was leaking, sothe water was coming in, without the need of a pump. Not quickly, but I would imagine quick enough to fill a small holding tank.

I've just sealed mine off completely, at the sea cock, and switched to the cassette, until I swap it for a Blakes Baby.

Just had a quick look at the Jabsco site, strikes me that under the right condition it's possible to syphon/leak canal water into the holding tank.

I am not familiar with this type of system but I assume it just pumps canal water into the bowl to flush to the tank?

On my sea loo on my sailing boat, the inlet pipe from the skin fitting were the stop cock is, has to be led quite a distance above that skin fitting and toilet bowl. This is to stop water syphoning into the bowl.

Also the outlet pipe from the bowl to the holding tank, but in my case the the briny, also has to be led the same hight above.

Maybe your is doing just that and then traveling to the holding tank!

Does this any sense?

Nipper

If the situation does not improve, a few things come to mind immediately with that loo.

It should have a seacock on the inlet if it has turn it off and THEN see if you can still pump water into it.

Frequently with some seacocks they seem to be closed but aren't and in spite of rising bend water can seep past the seals in the pump.

If you can't (good news as it means that seacock IS sealing) check those pump seals. On that loo if not used for a while, the seals can perish and whilst still reasonably effective whilst pumping the can cause seapage into a low level holdng tank

However......most well fitted holding tanks have a valve or similar between the holding tank and the loo......does yours?

If so something else to close and check.

One last thing. On some holding tank set ups they have a flushing valve for the tank leading directly from the water inlet to the tank. I admit that even in my wide and varied experience as a delivery skipper that I have only seen two of these but one of them (on a Y fitting from the seacock) had been left open and filled the holding tank within a few days.....

As you can tell, over the years I have spent many unhappy hours with my head down in the cursing position trying to work out why the damned loo is not playing nice. :lol:

Nope.

Always had a cassette!

Odd that the main reason quoted for having a pumpout is that you don't have to get so intimately involved with the sewage.

Yep, you are right. Every two-three years I have to do some maintenance to the lavatory pans which means perhaps getting intimate with the contents. Unless you have a pump-out first of course.

As opposed to every two-three days with cassettes??

Richard

edited to add another s

Edited by RLWP

Seems the holding tank on our sealine is a little mucked up (unless of course we do 26 gallons of pee in 3-4 days). Had it emptied a couple of weekends ago and having spent 3 days on the boat the indicator has come on again saying the tank is about 85% full. I find this hard to believe with there only being two of us on board. Any ideas?

hi Phylis

Agree with the other postings - could be sludge in the bottom? Some people use a power washer to 'disturb' any sediment/sludge/stuff that is in the waste tank (interior not exterior!!)every couple of years so it might be worth thinking about? Presume you have an inspection hatch?

Good luck

Tim

hi Phylis

Agree with the other postings - could be sludge in the bottom? Some people use a power washer to 'disturb' any sediment/sludge/stuff that is in the waste tank (interior not exterior!!)every couple of years so it might be worth thinking about? Presume you have an inspection hatch?

Good luck

Tim

2 years ago we cruised the Med on a Bavaria 45 footer, Sea toilet worked fine at sea but upon entering Harbours, as required by French law we switched to holding tank and from day 1 had probs...back flushing didnt work nor did me getting in the water and attacking the seacock from under water with a length of wire coat hanger. Eventually managed to clear the blockage by using the Dinghy pump and bunging up the vent pipe so that air pressure eventually forced the blockage past the silly tight bend in the out flow pipe.

It was all down to lack of maintainance and this very tight ubend pipe.....as mentioned on other posts, some form of aditive may assist in the holding tank following pump outs and if preferable, use sparingly when not at sea.

Another alternative is to fit a Sea toilet with self macerator. My last boat had a Baby Blake. No electrics just a pump handle which then fed the deposits through a double mesh to macerate the stuff. very simple to fit and easy to maintain and has a classic look.....just a bit pricey

baby.jpg

Edited to add.....most blockages are due to inappropriate items finding their way down the pan.....even kitchen roll will block a pump out toilet

Edited by saltysplash