Fish tank

Robbo

Featured Posts

Looking to have a largeish (100l) tropical fish tank onboard building into a builtin cabinet (tank will be about 1 foot of floor), top of cabinet will be for TV, etc.

Anyone have a fish tank onboard? Looking for a way to keep the water in!

Cheers,

Richard.

Edit to say 100l instead of 200l

Edited by Robbo

Looking to have a largeish (200l) tropical fish tank onboard building into a builtin cabinet (tank will be about 1 foot of floor), top of cabinet will be for TV, etc.

Cheers,

Richard.

Come on Bones, put him straight about keeping fish in the boat.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Looking for a way to keep the water in!

How do you mean, keep the water in?

A boat barely moves enough to spill your G&T, never mind a fish tank, but I'd leave a couple of inches gap, at the top, for any potential movement, in a lock.

Edited to say: Oh, and don't make the tank out of wood.

Edited by carlt

How do you mean, keep the water in?

A boat barely moves enough to spill your G&T, never mind a fish tank, but I'd leave a couple of inches gap, at the top, for any potential movement, in a lock.

Mainly keeping the water in when the boat was in motion!

I was thinking of getting a tank that was extra tall, the cabinet would hide the water level (so didn't look odd at been different angle to cabinet!). Sealing a top for the tank would be perfect. Would like to hear if anyone has done anything like this.

Edited to make sense!

Edited by Robbo

It may be better if you can vent the top of the tank to outside the boat to try and reduce the condensation you get with warm water tanks. The only boat i've been on with a tropical fish tank was suffering very badly from damp caused by, they thought, the fish tank.

Paul

I would not wish to advise but just some quick calculations.

200L = 200Kg = 44 gallons = 3.8cwt .

That's a lot of water and weight.

Conversions used: 4.54L = 1 gallon. 1 gallon = 10lbs. 112lbs = 1cwt. 1L = 1Kg

Think I might have read somewhere that the engine vibration might upset the fish........may have been on here???

This was also another concern regarding health of the fish, a search didn't result in anything, for some reason googling "keeping fish on boat" doesn't come up with the required results!

I would not wish to advise but just some quick calculations.

200L = 200Kg = 44 gallons = 3.8cwt .

That's a lot of water and weight.

Conversions used: 4.54L = 1 gallon. 1 gallon = 10lbs. 112lbs = 1cwt. 1L = 1Kg

My boat is a wide beam, the kitchen is mainly on the other side and was looking at granite work surfaces (is that wise?). The side with the tank could do with the extra weight, but it was a rough over calculation on the size of tank.

Edit to say a more accurate calculation comes up with around 90-100L

I know a bloke on a widebeam with a tropical fish tank. Unless you never move it seems like a silly idea to me, but each to their own.

Me personally never see the point in having a boat and not moving it! So yes I will be moving!

Edited by Robbo

Looking to have a largeish (100l) tropical fish tank onboard building into a builtin cabinet (tank will be about 1 foot of floor), top of cabinet will be for TV, etc.

Cheers,

Richard.

Edit to say 100l instead of 200l

I have a small tank of water on board and the water stays in quite well with just the plastic lid on with a plastacine orange cow on the top of that.

Come on Bones, put him straight about keeping fish in the boat.

you aren't funny :lol:

Bones isn't allowed fish

But she does have a beautiful collection of snails and a diminishing crop of water weed :lol:

nor are you. :lol:

I would be inclined to take a pipe from the tank to a skin-fitting on the boat, the fish will be able to pop out for a while when they get fed up and come back at night.

You would need to add a fish flap and give your fish magnetic collars, so stray fish can't get in.

having said that, I was bumped up the rear end (the boat!) which was so hefty the book case moved a foot ( a 4ft x 3ft book case full of books) and the tank moved forward about an inch (I had a lip on the cupboard it sits on which stopped it falling off) and only a cup full of water spilt out.

Think I might have read somewhere that the engine vibration might upset the fish........may have been on here???

Cheers

Gareth

Must admit I would have thought the same, but fish stay under your boats even when you start your engine,only moving when the boat does. Offshore oil rigs are absolutly teaming with fish and I would imagine there is an awfull lot of vibration coming of the drill.

I would be inclined to take a pipe from the tank to a skin-fitting on the boat, the fish will be able to pop out for a while when they get fed up and come back at night.

Don't be silly John, he was talkink about keeping Tropical fish, why would they want to go out into the cold ? :lol:

Hold on not so daft as first thought, tap into the engine cooling system and there we have free heat to keep them warm.

I was going up through Lemonroyd Lock the other day, believe me the boat moved when turning the lock! The lock lets out a lot of water!

Cheers

Gareth

It depends on your fish, avoid the sensitive types. Your tropiquarium peeps will advise you.

Our fish were not bothered during the so called 'hurricane' all those years ago. The roof blew off the house and some of the top half of the house was seriously damaged. Meanwhile, downstairs, the fish swam about quite happily despite the power outage. We didn't lose a single one.