Report Unlicensed Boats!

MartinClark

Featured Posts

Does the new reporting system mean that BW staff will not be carrying out their annual licence check which is normally done around this time of the year.

Perhaps their normally office bound staff find it too cold on the towpath.

Steve

I expect it is so their staff can go and do their annual checks.

I expect it is so their staff can go and do their annual checks.

rather than having their time wasted by a small bunch of 'persistent over-moaners' who would otherwise clog up their time unreasonably. Is that what you mean?

Quite correct. Whatever BW do there will be someone attributing hidden motives to it. Let's face it for some people on this forum there is nothing that BW can do right.

It is up to you whether you use this service or not and it is no-one elses business whether you do or not. Not even Carl T's.

If it saves BW some time and increases the recovery of unpaid licence fees then it can only reduce the fees for the rest of us. Personally, although I can see BWs motives in introducing this and tend to support them in the matter, I probably won't use this system except to report the unlicensed idiot on the Macc who has been moored in the same place for years and always shouts at me to slow down. I'll slow down for any licensed moored boat but I refuse to show consideration to a stroppy bludger.

You don't seriously believe that... do you?

I know, sadly, we'll never all share the point of view that spying on your neighbors is dishonest and destructive but surely we all understand that your fees will never be reduced soley because BW doesn't need that money anymore? That would require believing that your fees only increased because BW needed the money in the first place.

We've already identified that BW know where the unlicenced boats are so why don't they go and get them? If they got them off the system they would no longer have a convenient excuse to pick your pockets. They'll milk unlicencesd boats as long as they can then they'll move on to the next ploy (they're already testing the waters on wide-beams costing the system more).

Why would any of you buy into it?

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family

If it is not a suitable task for volunteers, they won't get any volunteers.

If only everything were that neat.

As for the rest of that garbage, your thoughts have been taken on board and will, in the fullness of time and when the opportunity presents be classified and disposed of as jetsam

I had that very quote saved up to use in another topic and you've gone and used it first! :lol:

Edited by Bagpuss

Hmmm. I see - I suppose it is. That's okay, then. I was just going to enter your IP address into this online database to see if your computer is licensed! :lol:

Its only a laptop licence, so I have to keep cc'ing with it around the neighbourhood.... :lol:

I have emailed Ms Thomson and received an 'out of office' reply, so I know I have got her email address right.......

that one looks familiar.

Whoops! Not the one I meant to post! It's a boat I've been trying to locate, to see if it still exists.

All the others don't and haven't done for some years, but BW still hasn't caught up, yet.

I have emailed Ms Thomson and received an 'out of office' reply, so I know I have got her email address right.......

Don't bet on it.

I've got correspondance from BW employees months after they've left and also some from one poor lady who'd died nearly a year before she wrote to me!

do they have an option which says 'this boat is unlicensed because it is no longer in existence'. ?

No

I've got the list up to over 20 now and I haven't started on the ones I know have left BW waters....nor a single metal one!

Edited by carlt

do they have an option which says 'this boat is unlicensed because it is no longer in existence'. ?

Now, now! This is not how it's designed to be used! The curious fellow-boater is supposed to see a boat with no licence displayed and enter the number shown on the boat.

If the boat no longer exists then they are not going to be able to see it, are they? At least, not on the way to the pub...

Edited by MartinClark

To be fair you are supposed to have seen it in the last 30 days, come on, you can be a bugger, but you need to be a bit more creative.

I have bits of all the boats on my list and have seen them all in the last 30 days.

I have no intention of using it, as intended, but if BW want to give me a new toy....

Oh dear... I wonder if this is right.

I've entered in licence number 999999 and have been told "Our system recognises this boat but it does not currently have a licence. You can submit a sighting report by completing the form below to help our enforcement efforts."

Do you think 999999 actually exists or did someone hire crappy programmers? No that it matters as you can submit without ever having an index number, just come up with an imaginary boat in an imaginary place and there you go, the wild goose-chase begins.

Or, it could have simply been moved off BW waters and onto either EA or the Bridgewater or something similiar. If you type in my boats old BW number it says the same, but it is licensed... on the Bridgewater.

Oh dear... I wonder if this is right.

I've entered in licence number 999999 and have been told "Our system recognises this boat but it does not currently have a licence. You can submit a sighting report by completing the form below to help our enforcement efforts."

Do you think 999999 actually exists or did someone hire crappy programmers? No that it matters as you can submit without ever having an index number, just come up with an imaginary boat in an imaginary place and there you go, the wild goose-chase begins.

I tried 888888 but it doesn't recognise that so I'm sticking to actual boats (though not any that are actually on BW waters).

Edited by carlt