If money were no object

Daftmare

Featured Posts

I suppose by starting this topic, I am trying to gauge if members of the forum have a view on which boatbuilder they would choose, if they were able to buy a new boat, and why.

Also what particular "extras" would be essential, in their opinion.

Jo.

I am no great fan of fancy steelwork, glossy paint & scrolls, but I am a fan of how well my near 20 year old ex-hire Colecraft hull has stood up to its life so I suppose it would have to be a Colecraft hull as long as they will still build one with a small front cockpit a cruiser stern just large enough for 4 to sit around a small table.

I also object to paying for very high quality fitouts and ideas that I class a bull-shine that are inevitably going to get knocked about. Not knowing much about the various fitters I suspect I would see if Calcutt would do the fitout because I know I can work with them and we seem to get on.

Extras - Gas tank at stern. Facility for 6 inches of foot overhang on a fixed longitudinal double berth. Definitely a PRM hydraulic box and probably a Beta engine, but as cost is no object I might just go for a Bukh DV48 if they could promise it would not smoke like the 36. Wet stove linked to a gas central heating boiler (Old type Alde if I could get one). A very modest inverter mainly for charging things. I reckon double glazing would be well worthwhile as long as it looks OK. Definitely no fancy loos - nothing wrong with a dump through or cassette.

Come to think of it, I reckon I have nearly described my existing boat so perhaps just a really good, windows out, weld up the odd screw hole and a Phil type repaint would do.

As far as I am aware none of them build Narrow Boats, and as this is a Canal Forum, I assumed we were talking about Canal Boats.

So, only Narrowboats on the canal? how very narrowminded

Fairline 19, Popular canal cruiser for instance

I've seen several Brooms

There's at least one sunseeker on the G.U leicester Line

Edited by fuzzyduck

I'd go with...

Norton Canes, Brinklow, Dave Harris and Ian Kemp.

Dave Harris - Yes

Brinklow Boats - Yes (Rex Wain did the opriginal fitout on my boat)

Ian Kemp - Not sure I have seen any of his boats so cannot make a personal judgement, but if Phil Speight says he is good, that is good enough for me.

Norton Canes - not sure. I don't like all that fussy stuff on the ends of the cants.

Edited by David Schweizer

It's not a popularity contest David, it's just they are 3 internationally renowned boat builders whose boats have been used on the canals.

I excluded the Trent from "the canals", Newark Marina is full of the bleeding things, I've also excluded the Gloucester and Sharpness

Edited by fuzzyduck

Of course, if money is no object, and we're allowed proper boats, the royal yacht (owned by Liz the german and Phil the greek) Bloodhound is for sale.

Camper & Nicholson built in 1936 (not quite Norton Canes, but close) and bought by Lizzie & Phil in 1962.

clicky

Thanks for posting this, had not heard of the restoration, remember seeing Bloodhound at Larne in the late 1960's

and have photo(s) somewhere, it was an exceptional visitor at the time, made my day.

Neil

For all of Fuzzy's rich man's toys and all the other suggestions, I still wouldn't change my original list...........except to remove the extra "r" that sneaked in whilst watching the remains of the family car being craned onto the back of a flatbed truck..... :lol:

And no I'm not going to edit it........it can serve as a reminder of how easily one can be distracted when dreaming dreams

For all of Fuzzy's rich man's toys and all the other suggestions, I still wouldn't change my original list...........except to remove the extra "r" that sneaked in whilst watching the remains of the family car being craned onto the back of a flatbed truck..... :lol:

And no I'm not going to edit it........it can serve as a reminder of how easily one can be distracted when dreaming dreams

I remember once a company sending us some promotional pens, they spelt it "Norton Cranes" too. :lol:

Dave Harris - yes

Brinklow Boats - yes (Rex Wain did the opriginasl fitout on my boat)

Norton Canes - not sure

Ian Kemp - haven't seen any of his boats to make a comment

having seen boats from all the builders I would say yes to them all, if you dont like NC boats you dont like canal boats IMO. Maybe its because of my BCN history but to me they epitomise all that is right in narrow boats, no washers in sight just straight lines and an honest way of building and dealing with people. I declare a bit of an interest in that my family worked for Malc back in the 60's/70's and we went there to get any steelwork done on our boats and I know that my uncle is still good friends with Graham.....doesnt alter the facts tho.

Can't fault your salty option.

What did you do to the family car?

If you post your opinions on an open forum, get ready for them to be judged.

I agree, btw, but would add RW Davis, Roger Farringdon and Barry Hawkins. Maybe a minibus....

You can have a minibus, if I can put Martin Broom in old pair of overalls, and sneek him in.

I mentioned one particular boat builder as I know they have worked on one particular boat I've seen closely and the work was outstanding, however, with regards to the others I find it difficult to see how people can form an opinion of something which they don't have any knowledge of - unless of course I misunderstood? I'm in agreement with the majority of the folks here at the moment, in that there appears to be a "Top 4". They can't all be wrong.

Liam.

I'd have me one of those Small Northwich replicas Brinklow have on their website.

I have no idea about who I'd get to fit it out though, but it definately wouldn't be the bloke who did Dover, or Levithian or whatever it was!

Well, Rex Wain of course.... Brinklow don't just build hulls you know.....

If money were not object (which it is, usually a paper object sometimes a metal one):

Narrow boat would be by Norton Canes as they still do proper boats rather than imitation imitations.

I'm sure Brinklow Boat Services could build a faithful riveted copy if money really was no object.... You will be behind me in the queue though.... :lol:

I mentioned one particular boat builder as I know they have worked on one particular boat I've seen closely and the work was outstanding, however, with regards to the others I find it difficult to see how people can form an opinion of something which they don't have any knowledge of - unless of course I misunderstood? I'm in agreement with the majority of the folks here at the moment, in that there appears to be a "Top 4". They can't all be wrong.

Liam.

I know boats built by all the above-mentioned, very well, except Dave Harris.

Top 4 is a bit small a group, methinks.

Well, Rex Wain of course.... Brinklow don't just build hulls you know.....

I didn't know... not exactly looked into it, what with not having the pennies but I'll keep that in mind in case I'm lucky enough for my numbers to come up!

No knowledge of the others so can't really comment on them. If I did have the money I soon would have though!

no washers in sight just straight lines

Am I alone in suggesting Roger Fuller as he does not appear on any other shortlists?

I have had two shells from him and have not seen anything to beat either of them.

I believe there is a bit of a double standard when people throw scorn on 'washer' rivets. There must be hundreds of examples on any replica narrowboat of artificial details to give the appearence of an original boat. e.g. recessed panels,

steel cants, trad. slides, decorative layout. If dummy rivets are not acceptable then anything less than a genuinely riveted iron hull is also not kosher. Artificial decorative features is not a new phenomenen in narrowboats: how long have boatbuilders been graining back cabins to make cheap wood look like oak?

Rob

Must admit if money were no object it would certainly not be a boat like 'Whitefield' - the boat featured in Canal World recently.

Am I alone in suggesting Roger Fuller as he does not appear on any other shortlists?

I have had two shells from him and have not seen anything to beat either of them.

I believe there is a bit of a double standard when people throw scorn on 'washer' rivets. There must be hundreds of examples on any replica narrowboat of artificial details to give the appearence of an original boat. e.g. recessed panels,

steel cants, trad. slides, decorative layout. If dummy rivets are not acceptable then anything less than a genuinely riveted iron hull is also not kosher. Artificial decorative features is not a new phenomenen in narrowboats: how long have boatbuilders been graining back cabins to make cheap wood look like oak?

Rob

If money were no object then a fullscale restoration of one of the currently rotting 'national colection' boats would be the way forward!

I'm gonna have to change my mind.

That Tug dominic m has got on his website is very pretty, and almost affordable now. that's my inland waterways choice.

And my plan of having a replica 70 foot MTB made when I retire is still there. I'm going to have guns made out of washers.

And Count Drakula is still floating.

What can I say, I'm a stinkie at heart.