Another one that want's to give up the rat race!

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Hi I have always found forums to be excellent for getting balanced information.

I have had a fair old look around this one but cannot find any guidance about security.

What guidlines do you consider sensible, what security can be fitted to a narrow boat, does anyone do alarms or trackers?

It is important to stay balanced about things but having considered the 'dream' I do want to ensure I keep as safe as possible.

If you could point me to any articles on here of have personal advice I would welcome this.

Many thanks

Pleased that you asked here instead! :lol:

What guidlines do you consider sensible, what security can be fitted to a narrow boat, does anyone do alarms or trackers?

It is important to stay balanced about things but having considered the 'dream' I do want to ensure I keep as safe as possible.

You could buy the "Jacqui Smith" Sailaway Security package. You leave the windows and doors unlocked when mooring in urban areas but have nine armed police officers in stab vests stationed discreetly around the boat. In case your boat is approached by a Brazilian electrician.

Or there is the "David Cameron" Holiday Security Package. You lock the boat up and go on holiday on a yacht off the coast of Turkey.

Or the "Johannesburg Kit" where you wire the door-handles to the battery and surround the boat with razor wire. (That's the correct way to use an apostrophe, by the way)

Or the "Health & Safety Pack". You disguise the boat as a floating HSE exhibition complete with leaflets on Beanbag Safety, 32 Correct Ways to Open a Fridge, and How to Avoid Bidet Drownings. No-one's going to bother breaking in.

I have had a fair old look around this one but cannot find any guidance about security.

If you could point me to any articles on here of have personal advice I would welcome this.

Many thanks

Assuming this isn't a wind up .. :lol:

Only real weakness on a NB is the windows. If I was having one made, I have a steel shutter for each porthole and hatch incorporated into the design.

Beyond that, the security is only as good as the padlock on the doors mate!

Ensure you have fully comp insurance and that you read the small print regatding individual item value and get seperate theft cover on anything worth more than a ton.

- Hobbs

Many thanks

A lot depends on age of boat and where you intend to leave it. Our security is dog and ugly bearded large man on boat.

Sue

Only real weakness on a NB is the windows. If I was having one made, I have a steel shutter for each porthole and hatch incorporated into the design.

Ah! Sir means the "Captain Mainwaring Package" (aka The Dreadnought) as demonstrated on a famous episode of Dad's Army. The steel shutters can flap down so that a Lee Enfield gun can be pointed out.

In my haste to post earlier, I forgot one of the most popular security packages these days which is the "Cheap as Crap Option". This disguises the boat as a floating pile of flotsam-cum-scrapdealer, with broken furniture left on the roof or alongside (on the towpath or in the water), and algae-smeared windows, one of which has a "1983 Wigan National" mooring pass sticker.

In my haste to post earlier, I forgot one of the most popular security packages these days which is the "Cheap as Crap Option". This disguises the boat as a floating pile of flotsam-cum-scrapdealer, with broken furniture left on the roof or alongside (on the towpath or in the water), and algae-smeared windows, one of which has a "1983 Wigan National" mooring pass sticker.

Damn! You've just breached our security.

Many thanks

Hi There

My philosophy has always been - 'you aint goner stop 'em' and they will cause more damage if you make it harder

Just dont leave any thing on thats worth stealing. Everthing else is covered by your insurance.

Although IMHO it seldom happens. I haven't heard of a boat being stolen completly (succesfuly)

I've had two break-ins in seven years and I leave it unattended for weeks all over the country. My biggest loss was a pair of new trainers and a 1/2 bottle of wiskey

Alex

I have definately come to the right place you're all 'barking'.

Have any of you migrated from the Turkish Living Forum they are totally mad on there too.

Sounds like quite simply a case of 'don't worry......be happy

quote name='steelaway' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:12 PM' post='267217']

Hi There

My philosophy has always been - 'you aint goner stop 'em' and they will cause more damage if you make it harder

Just dont leave any thing on thats worth stealing. Everthing else is covered by your insurance.

Although IMHO it seldom happens. I haven't heard of a boat being stolen completly (succesfuly)

I've had two break-ins in seven years and I leave it unattended for weeks all over the country. My biggest loss was a pair of new trainers and a 1/2 bottle of wiskey

Alex

or perhaps the "You don't want what I've got" package, characterised by an empty Special Brew Can on the roof and bit of tarp hanging in thewater

Edited by Chris Pink

And one sort of "rat" for a literal one.

I have definately come to the right place you're all 'barking'.

Have any of you migrated from the Turkish Living Forum they are totally mad on there too.

Sounds like quite simply a case of 'don't worry......be happy

quote name='steelaway' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:12 PM' post='267217']

Hi There

Alex

B*stards. Utter b*stards. How could they?

And one sort of "rat" for a literal one.

B*stards. Utter b*stards. How could they?

Thank you for your sympathy BSP - I was so upset I still cant manage to spell it properly

You must have heard me - thats word for word - I thought I could see you in the distance :lol:

Alex

Organic burglar alarms are good to have on board too - only make sure they have a full set on working teeth. Only cost about £3 a week to run if you buy the right sort of fuel. Our only cost us £2.50 per week for the pair.

We've found them invaluable at home so we will be disconnecting them and taking them with us when we move on board in the not too distant future. We've always found a couple of sets of good strong white nashers flashing in the dark seem to work for us. :lol:

Organic burglar alarms are good to have on board too - only make sure they have a full set on working teeth. Only cost about £3 a week to run if you buy the right sort of fuel. Our only cost us £2.50 per week for the pair.

We've found them invaluable at home so we will be disconnecting them and taking them with us when we move on board in the not too distant future. We've always found a couple of sets of good strong white nashers flashing in the dark seem to work for us. :lol:

and in my opinion...the bigger the better

I go with the philosophy of not leaving anything you value on the boat.

We have been broken into a few times in 30+ years, but nothing much taken because there isn't much. At least nowadays TVs, videos etc can be so small you can take them home. Our new TV & video gizmo is the size of a paperback book.

Cheap locks to deter the casual moron, but they allow the determined tea-leaf in without doing to much damage.

Probably more importantly, no significant vandalism done.