How hot is it in your boat?

blackrose

Featured Posts

Hot fire training? (As opposed to cold fire training?) Anyway, it sounds like a rather tiring activity to me...

yep you've got it

its only in the past few years that firefighters have been trained using real fires - before that it was all simulated

anyway it sounded impressive so I thought I'd chuck it in...

yep you've got it

its only in the past few years that firefighters have been trained using real fires - before that it was all simulated

anyway it sounded impressive so I thought I'd chuck it in...

There's a fireman moored near me. I'm going to check he's done his hot fire training...

The way he talks it sounds like there's a fierce rivalry between different watches.

having a grey boat and a pale roof has made a huge difference to the temperature inside my boat in the direct sunlight.

I may go creme. Here is an artists impression. CremeRose.jpg

Edited by blackrose

31 degrees C in mine - about the same outside in the shade (West London). I don't suppose one can expect it to be any cooler in the boat with all the doors, hatches and windows open.

Wooden tops fare better in these conditions I'm sure.

You need to buy a boat with good big windows, not those port-hole thingies! :lol:

Seriously though, despite a fairly recent repaint in dark green, I'm now convinced our roof has to change to a cream/beige/grey colour. Apart from temperature inside, you cant climb on the roof without risking skin burns.

Sits back, and awaits the standard input from a regular contributor that insists we should never be on the roofs of our boats.

Additional thoughts.....

My son has a fairly accurate Infra Red digital thermometer.

He measured parts of the roof of our boat at 59 degrees centigrade today - no wonder it burnt!

But measuring the inside of Blisworth tunnel yesterday evening gave 12 degrees at the entrance, dropping to 9 by the middle, and rising back up to 12 just before leaving.

Perhaps we should all park up in the tunnel - making sure we are displaying necessary lights, of course. :lol:

Current stats at Braunston - bridge brickwork 20 degrees, and (this bit surprised me) canal water temperature also 20 degrees, (at getting towards midnight).

Edited by alan_fincher

You need to buy a boat with good big windows, not those port-hole thingies! :lol:

Someone else said that to me yesterday, in all seriousness!

My 12" porthole top hoppers allow plenty of airflow - especially since there are 14 of them. In addition I have hatches on both sides and can of course open bow and stern doors. However, as a previous poster points out, perhaps all this just lets more hot air in!

My 12" porthole top hoppers allow plenty of airflow - especially since there are 14 of them. In addition I have hatches on both sides and can of course open bow and stern doors. However, as a previous poster points out, perhaps all this just lets more hot air in!

I would add a load of roof hatches, it's best to have some ventilation at the highest point.

And/or use a large fan or two to disperse hot air at ceiling level.

Now you know why we fit air conditioning! :lol:

To run off the diesel genset :lol:

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I was working on deck yesterday, fitting some locks. I had to keep pouring buckets of water over the decks, or my feet would have burnt. The dark blue painted steel was hot enough to make the river water turn to steam when it hit.

Seriously though, despite a fairly recent repaint in dark green, I'm now convinced our roof has to change to a cream/beige/grey colour. Apart from temperature inside, you cant climb on the roof without risking skin burns.

Sits back, and awaits the standard input from a regular contributor that insists we should never be on the roofs of our boats.

I have big windows and my boat was the same temperature, but I was in the blazing sun not the shade if that makes any difference

You have black sides which makes it hotter. I used to have blue sides and a red roof. I painted the sides grey and it made a HUGE difference inside. Painting the roof cream made an even bigger difference.

We've also got black sides, they get amazingly hot.

One of the best ideas I saw recently was a boat that had cruiser-style tubular handrails. They had drilled tiny holes all along, that continually sprayed a mist of water over the roof. I think theirs was connected to a hosepipe as they were on a permanent mooring, but you could use a small pump from the canal instead. I don't know how much difference it made but I reckon it could be quite effective.

They had drilled tiny holes all along, that continually sprayed a mist of water over the roof. I think theirs was connected to a hosepipe as they were on a permanent mooring,

I'm guessing they're not on a meter and water conservation isn't high on their list of priorities.

One of the best ideas I saw recently was a boat that had cruiser-style tubular handrails. They had drilled tiny holes all along, that continually sprayed a mist of water over the roof. I think theirs was connected to a hosepipe as they were on a permanent mooring, but you could use a small pump from the canal instead. I don't know how much difference it made but I reckon it could be quite effective.

It sounds like a good idea, but I'm sure if I did it there would be corrosion issues. I can imagine the rail dripping rusty orange water all over the boat on rainy days in winter. If you're not into water conservation perhaps it's better just to buy a couple of (linear?) lawn sprayers and put them on the roof.

I just bought a 12" desk fan from Screwfix for £10.99. Makes things a bit more bearable.

Edited by blackrose

You have black sides which makes it hotter. I used to have blue sides and a red roof. I painted the sides grey and it made a HUGE difference inside. Painting the roof cream made an even bigger difference.

Apart perhaps from the cleaning issues, creme seems to be the best all round colour for the top and sides. Some time ago someone on the forum mentioned that a black boat will not only absorb more heat in summer but will also radiate more heat out of the boat in winter! Apparently domestic central heating radiators would be more efficient if they were painted black, and the only reason they are not is due to aesthetics.

Apart perhaps from the cleaning issues, creme seems to be the best all round colour for the top and sides.

You could cover the boat in tin foil. Not only would this reflect the heat it will also stop the alien lizard people from probing your mind.

I made the mistake of jumping on the roof yesterday in bare feet to find the spots that need attention before we paint it cream.

I ended up jumping from white bit on life ring to the next one.

I also have a lovely vest tan from our cruise down the G&S yesterday even though I put sun cream on.