How hot is it in your boat?

blackrose

Featured Posts

31 degrees C in mine - about the same outside in the shade (West London). I don't suppose one can expect it to be any cooler in the boat with all the doors, hatches and windows open.

Wooden tops fare better in these conditions I'm sure.

Edited by blackrose

31 degrees C in mine - about the same outside in the shade (West London). I don't suppose one can expect it to be any cooler in the boat with all the doors, hatches and windows open.

Wooden tops fare better in these conditions I'm sure.

30.7'C currently, moored in Oxford. Its a HOT day but I know a shop nearby with a really cold drinks fridge.

The past 2 days here have been bloody scorching, I've been doing some work on the electrics over the weekend, We have blackout pads for all the porthole windows and with all the doors shut on the boat it stayes comfortably cool, the only problem is then light, but all the electrics being in the back of the boat I opened just the rear hatch & doors to get some decent light to do the work. The temperature within an hour was almost unbearable yet the front end of the boat stayed really cool. Previously on hot days we just haven't bothered to do any work as opening all the doors and portholes just lets the heat in. Blacked out though it really does stay cool, and that's with Red primer on the exterior at the moment and being on dry land also. It got so hot on Saturday I started at 8am when I opened everything up, but then by 4pm I was so knackered I had to give up what I was doing being totally exhausted due to the heat. I locked all the doors, Blacked the boat out and went to bed around 5pm This gave me a 6am start this morning which was much cooler to work in, and keeping most the boat Blacked out through the day was much easier to work in.

The past 2 days here have been bloody scorching, I've been doing some work on the electrics over the weekend, We have blackout pads for all the porthole windows and with all the doors shut on the boat it stayes comfortably cool, the only problem is then light, but all the electrics being in the back of the boat I opened just the rear hatch & doors to get some decent light to do the work. The temperature within an hour was almost unbearable yet the front end of the boat stayed really cool. Previously on hot days we just haven't bothered to do any work as opening all the doors and portholes just lets the heat in. Blacked out though it really does stay cool, and that's with Red primer on the exterior at the moment and being on dry land also. It got so hot on Saturday I started at 8am when I opened everything up, but then by 4pm I was so knackered I had to give up what I was doing being totally exhausted due to the heat. I locked all the doors, Blacked the boat out and went to bed around 5pm This gave me a 6am start this morning which was much cooler to work in, and keeping most the boat Blacked out through the day was much easier to work in.

How's your underfloor aircon working? I have porthole bungs made out of 1" foam backed with ply.They're great for keeping in the heat in winter, but I need to open all doors, windows and hatches on my boat to keep it cool at this time of year. I guess yours is better insulated then mine. I wonder if I could still call my boat Black Rose if I painted the sides creme?

Edited by blackrose

28.5 DegC inside the boat (east of Blackburn - L&L) with the hatches and sliding windows open and in the shade of a tree. Very little air movement though. Definitely most comfortable out in the well deck. //Mike

Just tether the suckling pig on the towpath for a couple of hours - and you'll have sun-roast pork ... .

the skellington has a low boiling point... this weather is making me melt... :lol:

Sorry to be really smug but its 19deg on Parglena at the moment. I have just come in to get some relief from the heat.

Mind you I have had the aircon on for the last 4 hours......

Julian

How's your underfloor aircon working? I have porthole bungs made out of 1" foam backed with ply.They're great for keeping in the heat in winter, but I need to open all doors, windows and hatches on my boat to keep it cool at this time of year. I guess yours is better insulated then mine. I wonder if I could still call my boat Black Rose if I painted the sides creme?

Hi Blackrose

The underfloor fans aren't much good on dry land as the hull is as hot as the roof being exposed Black tar rather than being under cool canal water lol I reckon if you have a Black painted boat then it's going to be difficult to keep it cool. I couldn't touch the roof of the boat earlier toay for more than a few seconds it was so hot, and that's on red primer. Have you tried completely blacking the boat out though for a good period of time, me and Lynn have often got up on a hot day around mid morning with the sun blazing, and lynn is sometimes shivering lol Saying that the past 2 days here have been the hottest this year and although the boat was nice and cool it was also pitch black lol As soon as you remove a window pad on the sunny side, it's like switching a heater on, I tend to remove pads firstly where the sun isn't shining directly. However it's the opening of doors that seem to let the heat flood in, once open that's it like a bloody oven :lol: I spent some time in Spain, and that's how they keep cool, dark heavy curtains, window shutters etc. I run an electric fan all night weather at home or on the boat, I couldn't sleep without one in this weather.

Hi Blackrose

The underfloor fans aren't much good on dry land as the hull is as hot as the roof being exposed Black tar rather than being under cool canal water lol I reckon if you have a Black painted boat then it's going to be difficult to keep it cool. I couldn't touch the roof of the boat earlier toay for more than a few seconds it was so hot, and that's on red primer. Have you tried completely blacking the boat out though for a good period of time, me and Lynn have often got up on a hot day around mid morning with the sun blazing, and lynn is sometimes shivering lol Saying that the past 2 days here have been the hottest this year and although the boat was nice and cool it was also pitch black lol As soon as you remove a window pad on the sunny side, it's like switching a heater on, I tend to remove pads firstly where the sun isn't shining directly. However it's the opening of doors that seem to let the heat flood in, once open that's it like a bloody oven :lol: I spent some time in Spain, and that's how they keep cool, dark heavy curtains, window shutters etc. I run an electric fan all night weather at home or on the boat, I couldn't sleep without one in this weather.

It's fairly good until about midday, but to be honest I've never tried keeping all the porthole bungs in and the doors & hatches shut. Perhaps as you say I'm just lettng the heat in, but I can't imagine sitting in a blacked out boat all day!

Edit: 6.20pm and a nice breeze has started coming through the boat :lol:

Edited by blackrose

I did find this

http://www.gmilburn.ca/ac/geoff_black.html

That could be easily adapted to work with canal water it would only cool to the temp of the water but if you take the feed from under the boat it would only be about 19deg.

Julian

I like that, that's easily dooable, the great thing in the summer for us as were planning solar panels is the possibility of over production of power. Now to me rather than waste that energy is to use it for something, well cooling down is the obvious answer. A small water pump and fan isn't going to draw that much juice either. The only possible problem is rigging something up to get cold water from as low on the boat as possible, filtering it and placing it somewhere where it won't get damaged. Of course you could just throw a tube with filter attached over the side, but have to remember to haul it back in before moving, a more permanant fixing would work best though?

28.5 here at The Grove, just lit the BBQ and opened a freezing cold Strongbow lol.....The difference in temp from the blue parts of our boat and the cream roof is staggering, blistering hot vs bearly warm. Id get the cream paint out Mike :lol: :lol:

PAH - you bunch of wimps!! :lol:

I've been doing hot fire training both yesterday and today :lol:

takes a long time to stop sweating after that :lol:

Hot fire training? (As opposed to cold fire training?) Anyway, it sounds like a rather tiring activity to me...

Edited by blackrose

I like that, that's easily dooable, the great thing in the summer for us as were planning solar panels is the possibility of over production of power. Now to me rather than waste that energy is to use it for something, well cooling down is the obvious answer. A small water pump and fan isn't going to draw that much juice either. The only possible problem is rigging something up to get cold water from as low on the boat as possible, filtering it and placing it somewhere where it won't get damaged. Of course you could just throw a tube with filter attached over the side, but have to remember to haul it back in before moving, a more permanant fixing would work best though?

I did look at it for the front hatch and was going for a roof mounted unit with in line pump using a weighted hose over the side with a strainer on the end, discharging onto the roof. This has the added advantage of using the heat in the roof to evaporate the water thus cooling the rest of the boat as well. On the old boat I used to just wet the roof every hour or so this reduces the inside temperature noticably.

There are several other fan built units linked from that page which may be simpler to build and store.

Julian

Edited by idleness

I did look at it for the front hatch and was going for a roof mounted unit with in line pump using a weighted hose over the side with a strainer on the end, discharging onto the roof. This has the added advantage of using the heat in the roof to evaporate the water thus cooling the rest of the boat as well. On the old boat I used to just wet the roof every hour or so this reduces the inside temperature noticably.

There are several other fan built units linked from that page which may be simpler to build and store.

Julian

it'll be winter soon