Self Pump Out

tangysheep

Featured Posts

Hi!

We take delivery of 'Liberty' our new Aqualine this Friday...really looking forward to it!

We have been looking at bits of kit for the boat and wondered if anyone is using a self pump out kit. Any pros and cons?

For example Lee Sanitations Hand pump-out kit 10 gall per min. 10 mtrs flat hose etc.

'Liberty' has a 47gall holding tank so that would seem to be suitable?

Will miss reading the posting on the forum....not got my head round mobile connection yet although have read folks postings but they got abit technical. Really must sort it out.

If you see 'Liberty' please give us a wave.

Regards

Steve & Lindy

As an old comedian once said, before my time, You lucky people.

Some deadly sins arising, envy and jealousy.

But most of all enjoy.

As for the pump out never used manual type but it should keep you fit with a five minute workout, you will have arms like Arnold Swarzenager.

My best wishes and happy boating. :D

Steve & Lindy,

I have a manual pump out kit on my boat, it was there when I bought it, I have never used it and neither did the previous owner by the look of it. Remember such equipment needs cleaning after each use and will need to be stowed away, possibly wet and a bit smelly at least! I may be tempted to sell it!

Would be looking to use BW sanitary stations (where pipe will reach)

Most BW sanitary stations particularly exclude their use for self pumpouts. I suspect because they are not on main drainage and can't cope with a large amount of material being pumped into them.

Not saying that people don't still use them for SPOs, but..........

That would be the late Tommy Trinder. Me thinks!

20645[/snapback]

Met hinks you are correct .......................................................................again Clap-Hands.gif

and before any one shouts Off-Topic.gif

As an old comedian once said, before my time, You lucky people.

Some deadly sins arising, envy and jealousy.

But most of all enjoy.

As for the pump out never used manual type but it should keep you fit with a five minute workout, you will have arms like Arnold Swarzenager.

My best wishes and happy boating. :D

20625[/snapback]

Thanks very much

Regards

Steve & Lindy

Would be looking to use BW sanitary stations (where pipe will reach)

20614[/snapback]

The Lee Sanitation Self Pump Out kit is good for the purpose. Contrary to oher posts, it does not smell in storage (after each use just pump a few gallons of plain water through it before rolling and storing the flat hose). In my experience it certainly gives off much less offensive smell than that which occurs when emptying the Porta-Potti.

But dor is right: BW are restricting the number of Sanitary Stations where you can use SPO kits. I woder if its a scam to make people reliant on their expensive pump-outs? This ban has happened at Apsley on the Grand Union, and my complaint to BW was a waste of time. They said the sewer pipe system wasn't up to it, and that they hadn't the funds to replace it.

There are alternatives. none of them good. It's often possible to find a convenient sewage manhole near the towpath and discharge straight into that, for example. Also, you can pump effluent into a container (or Porta-Potti cassette) and then empty that in the Sanitary Station. This takes a few trips, obviously. Not ideal!

Regards BW applying restrictions if the disposal point is unsuitable BW have a notice to that effect fixed to the disposal point.

If no notice has been fixed that point can be used for self pump out.

This information used to be available from the BW site.

However you will only find out which are suitable when you visit them and yes they appear to be designating more as unsuitable due to drainage problems when formally the only ones deemed not suitable where ones not connected to mains sewage and that for reasons of volume filling cess tanks quicker.

I used to use a Whale pump kit some years ago when my old boats toilet was to small to have a porta potty in use for weekends etc. Now older and more lazy I have a potty for weekends and use the holding tank for our 4 week cruise and pay for the pumpouts.

david

http://www.envirolet-europe.com/

Here is a place to go and see some.

20704[/snapback]

i have just asked for catalogue and been informed we do not deal with your area(england) emailed for explanation of that.common market and all that.

also the systems you can see on the site dont look that promising.3out of 4 need a cellar or underfloor space space for the working part that the composting happens in.once a year emptying is only mentioned if used holiday mode i.e. two weeks holiday two person use, not much use on a norrwboat with crew and pubs at regular intervals me thinks.dont deal with your area,is this a french company?

And they appear to consume electrickery 24X7, and they dont say how much power  :D

20843[/snapback]

There are non electric models, 12vdc rated at 0.6A and 120vac that consume 540watts max.

They also do 240vac models for UK.

There is a pdf cataloge at the site.

• 2 years later...

Looking around, I recently came accross this solution to self pump out. To overcome the "No self pump out" locations, pumping into the collection tank of a porta potti could address this - the porta potti is being emptied into the disposal point. Alternatively, take porta potti base into disposal with hose and simply pass effluent through the base unit. This is a similar situation to the use of a watering can fed by a hosepipe during a hosepipe ban! Surely, the ethics depend on the size of the holding tank?

I seem to recall that in this months WW there is an article on an electric self-pump out which LeeSan (whatever happened to the Anglo-Deutsche name that they were going to use) have introduced.

As the others say finding a place to pump into and storage of the equipment

We have been looking at bits of kit for the boat and wondered if anyone is using a self pump out kit. Any pros and cons?

For example Lee Sanitations Hand pump-out kit 10 gall per min. 10 mtrs flat hose etc.

'Liberty' has a 47gall holding tank so that would seem to be suitable?

I agree too, its study with all the trimmings.

BW are restricting the number of Sanitary Stations where you can use SPO kits. I woder if its a scam to make people reliant on their expensive pump-outs? This ban has happened at Apsley on the Grand Union, and my complaint to BW was a waste of time. They said the sewer pipe system wasn't up to it, and that they hadn't the funds to replace it.

Also, you can pump effluent into a container (or Porta-Potti cassette) and then empty that in the Sanitary Station. This takes a few trips, obviously. Not ideal!

Probably related to the increase in pumps outs and the number of boats stopping, this results in a long wait and a lot of flow!

I agree, a container is easy to use, less hose to clean, and the only solution when the elsan is a long way away!

The principle here is that it is available for those occasions when it is needed, i.e. no pump out facility, it enables you to empty at least some of tank, to get you to the next available place!

Been using a Lee San manual self pump out for around 2 years now to empty our tank of appx 200 gallons. Disposal to BWB station with their permission as it goes to a main swere and we have a macerating toilet. Several other liveaboards also use the same station with BWB permission.

Can understand them not wanting us to pump to a cess pit system but 'poor drains' is a naff excuse. What comes out of a cassette unit is 'lumpier' than what comes out of a macerated unit and more likely to cause a blockage.

Been using a Lee San manual self pump out for around 2 years now to empty our tank of appx 200 gallons. Disposal to BWB station with their permission as it goes to a main swere and we have a macerating toilet. Several other liveaboards also use the same station with BWB permission.

Can understand them not wanting us to pump to a cess pit system but 'poor drains' is a naff excuse. What comes out of a cassette unit is 'lumpier' than what comes out of a macerated unit and more likely to cause a blockage.

We have used a Leesan 12v electric pumpout for about 15 yrs. It rolls up and is stored under a bench in the front deck. As we travel alot we usually find somewhere to dump without problems.

Sue