Sterling

simonk

Featured Posts

I have two Sterling pro-digital chargers (30 amp & 40 amp) that I run combined from a generator when I'm away from shore power. When I'm on shore power I just use one.

My battery monitor shows 69 amps when I start the chargers, but the odd thing is that although I'm sure they used to put out 14.8v, now the maximum voltage that they put out is about 14.67v (measured at the charger).

Does this have anything to do with my batteries are getting old or sulphated?

It's nothing to do with the batteries. It can only be the charger. Have you got ALL the outputs connected? If you don't connect them all the voltage regulation suffers.

I don't know what the accuracy spec is on that charger but that's still within 1%. Though I would expect better than that for a charger to be honest.

Gibbo

It's nothing to do with the batteries. It can only be the charger. Have you got ALL the outputs connected? If you don't connect them all the voltage regulation suffers.

I don't know what the accuracy spec is on that charger but that's still within 1%. Though I would expect better than that for a charger to be honest.

Gibbo

Yes, all the outputs are connected to the domestic bank. I saw Chris W today at Cowroast - he's having his boat blacked. He's got the same charger and is getting 14.8v. I don't know what's wrong with mine but I can't get more than about 14.67v from either one? It can't be anything to do with them being run from a generator, can it? No, that doesn't make sense...

Edited by blackrose

Yes, all the outputs are connected to the domestic bank. I saw Chris W today at Cowroast - he's having his boat blacked. He's got the same charger and is getting 14.8v. I don't know what's wrong with mine but I can't get more than about 14.67v from either one? It can't be anything to do with them being run from a generator, can it? No, that doesn't make sense...

It would be possible with a "normal" charger but not wth that one because of the way it works (long winded explanation avoided). I would speak to Sterling. It seems VERY odd that they now both show low output voltage. I would instantly look elsewhere but I can't think where! Maybe the genny is producing a consistently (seriously) low output voltage under load? I dunno.

And tell Chris W to get back here. I only have Orentas to argue with at the moment and he's rubish at it. Chris is so much better. His arguments have substance :lol:

Gibbo

It would be possible with a "normal" charger but not wth that one because of the way it works (long winded explanation avoided). I would speak to Sterling. It seems VERY odd that they now both show low output voltage. I would instantly look elsewhere but I can't think where! Maybe the genny is producing a consistently (seriously) low output voltage under load? I dunno.

And tell Chris W to get back here. I only have Orentas to argue with at the moment and he's rubish at it. Chris is so much better. His arguments have substance :lol:

Gibbo

I will certainly let him know...

No, not 'Mr Peukert', please!!! :lol:

Can't you form a 'love triangle' with someone else? :lol: (NOT me!)

I much prefer spending time coming up with decent ideas, instead of having arguments.

I do think John O comes up with some useful ideas, if you rubbish them it'll put other people off posting theirs.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I do think ########## up with some useful ideas, if you rubbish them it'll put other people off posting theirs.

There's a difference between coming up with ideas and making the same technically incorrect statements over and over again.

Gibbo

Gibbo

I'll drink to that -- bring back chris-w, really miss his informed contributions to the forum. tosher

Re the Sterling products, the boatbuilder I have been discussing with says he will no longer purchase / advocate the Sterling products that have 240 V a.c. involved as he has had too high an incidence of problems with them over the last year or so - he still uses the 12 V products, as they seem to be fine, but now uses other products for the 240 V side of things now.

Nick

Re the Sterling products, the boatbuilder I have been discussing with says he will no longer purchase / advocate the Sterling products that have 240 V a.c. involved as he has had too high an incidence of problems with them over the last year or so - he still uses the 12 V products, as they seem to be fine, but now uses other products for the 240 V side of things now.

Nick

I like this expression.

......information freely available to those who can be arsed to look for it.

Hehe, OK. As my old man used to say "No harm in trying" and when sat at work with people regularly walking behind you it is always easier just to ask.

I don't quite understand the idea that Sterling just stick badges on other peoples products? I may be wrong but although they're made in Taiwan I thought all the products were designed by Charles Sterling? If we're saying that a company who don't physically manufacture & assemble products in their own premises is merely sticking a label on someone else's products, well that could apply to just about everyone these days.

Edited by blackrose