Mooring tender

Lesd

Featured Posts

Ive been monitoring the tender trial for moorings on the GU south of Leighton Buzzzard, todate there have been none listed. By chance we arrived at Marsworth at the weekend and got chatting to some people who live here on residential moorings. Apparantly 2 boats left their moorings a couple of months back to go off cruising and these spaces remain empty. I phoned BW to ask why the moorings havent appeared on the tender system and was told there are no vacancies at Marsworth. The lady was pretty abrupt when I explained what Id heard from residents there, she said BW dont have to relet all spaces 'for operational reasons'...she would not expand of what she meant by that and just insisted there were no vacancies. Id been on the waiting list for two years before the trail and now it would seem there is a hidden agenda here preventing anyone taking up the space. What a farce !

Les

Apparantly 2 boats left their moorings a couple of months back to go off cruising and these spaces remain empty.

Makes sense, if I was to go off cruising for some time I would keep my mooring, esp if the area was nice, etc.

Thats just what I was going to say. I'd be pretty miffed if I'd paid for the mooring then found someone on it when I got back.

Marinas do it all the time! Twice the money for one mooring.

Sue

FYI I've just posted this as a new topic under General Boating:-

"I believe that the Moorings Tendering Trial breaches the Sex Discrimination Act because women are less able to make the highest bids for moorings because of their lower incomes.

Competitive tendering favours people on higher incomes, who are more likely to be men, and reduces access to those on lower incomes, who are more likely to be women. Although the tendering process applies to everyone, it disadvantages women, whose lower incomes make them less likely to be the highest bidder in a competitive tendering process. On average, women’s earnings are 71% of men’s and there is an even bigger income gap between retired men and women.

Since 2006 all public authorities have had a duty to consider to the need to promote equality of opportunity between women and men and eliminate unlawful discrimination. BW obviously did not take account of this when introducing the tendering trial.

I have complained to Sally Ash at BW about this and have informed the Equality and Human Rights Commission (3 More London, Riverside Tooley Street, London SE1 2RG). I hope other boaters will do so too!"

Psi

"I believe that the Moorings Tendering Trial breaches the Sex Discrimination Act because women are less able to make the highest bids for moorings because of their lower incomes.

Competitive tendering favours people on higher incomes, who are more likely to be men, and reduces access to those on lower incomes, who are more likely to be women. Although the tendering process applies to everyone, it disadvantages women, whose lower incomes make them less likely to be the highest bidder in a competitive tendering process. On average, women’s earnings are 71% of men’s and there is an even bigger income gap between retired men and women.

Since 2006 all public authorities have had a duty to consider to the need to promote equality of opportunity between women and men and eliminate unlawful discrimination. BW obviously did not take account of this when introducing the tendering trial.

I have complained to Sally Ash at BW about this and have informed the Equality and Human Rights Commission (3 More London, Riverside Tooley Street, London SE1 2RG). I hope other boaters will do so too!"

Psi

Well said, this situation is indicative of the general state we find ourselves in where anomalies are all around because we have a plethera of individual beaurocrats in positions where they have to keep " inventing and improving" things that dont need such alterations, to such an extent that we hurtle down blind alleys only to come reversing out even quicker good luck, regards, stuart.

Psi

By this logic does not everything that costs money discriminate against women? True evidence shows that many women earn less than their male peers for doing the same job, but this is not universal and I fear you're fighting a losing battle here.

I'm against the tendering process also, but only because, as shown with the housing market in Scotland, it dramatically inflates the price of everything. Also, I've been on the BW waiting list for a mooring for many many months, and there is nothing yet to appear even remotely close to where I want to be.

By this logic does not everything that costs money discriminate against women? True evidence shows that many women earn less than their male peers for doing the same job, but this is not universal and I fear you're fighting a losing battle here.

I'm against the tendering process also, but only because, as shown with the housing market in Scotland, it dramatically inflates the price of everything. Also, I've been on the BW waiting list for a mooring for many many months, and there is nothing yet to appear even remotely close to where I want to be.

The fact that there are no moorings in your area is just bad luck. There may not be a house for sale in the road you want to live in either.

Sue

The folks who told me that the two spaces were vacant said that he knew the two people involved and that they had left the moorings for good, not jut for a cruise. I obvioulsy wasnt clear in the first post. I still think it smells very fishy.

I thought about the 10% reduction in linear moorings thing that Dor mentioned above when the BW lady mentioned 'operational reasons' but as there are no new marina's opening anywhere near here I dont that can be the case.

We've had a couple of moorings near us come up this year, they were allocated to boaters that had to move from other moorings, but they remained vacant until those boaters arrived. So they weren't tendered (obviously)

I guess something like that could be her 'operational' reason but why not just say so !

Anyway, I'll keepan eye on it over the next few months and see what happens....

We have lots of space on Cowley South Towpath. Did you notice only 2 mooring sites in London on the Moorings tender site.

The Regents, The Grand Union, The Paddington Arm, the Slough arm, Packet Boat Marina, I could go on NONE of these sites apparantly have any moorings available. The TRUTH is that I have been seeing boats given moorings without going through the tendering process- and in fact there is one opposite me.

Someone is having a laugh, I regularly return to my mooring and find it "occupied" and have to move up or down the towpath. Note that BW don't guarantee you the same place on the mooring, just a mooring "in the space". You just have to deal with it but for £1600 quid a year its a bit naff.

I gave up asking BW for a mooring years ago when I kept seeing boats and their owners who had only just come on the canal getting given moorings ahead of myself and others I knew to be on the 'waiting list'. So the queue-jumping and tender-avoiding is nothing new at all.

We have lots of space on Cowley South Towpath. Did you notice only 2 mooring sites in London on the Moorings tender site.

The Regents, The Grand Union, The Paddington Arm, the Slough arm, Packet Boat Marina, I could go on NONE of these sites apparantly have any moorings available. The TRUTH is that I have been seeing boats given moorings without going through the tendering process- and in fact there is one opposite me.

Someone is having a laugh, I regularly return to my mooring and find it "occupied" and have to move up or down the towpath. Note that BW don't guarantee you the same place on the mooring, just a mooring "in the space". You just have to deal with it but for £1600 quid a year its a bit naff.

If bW give you a dedicated space you could find yourself paying council tax.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...