Swede ....

Tusses

Featured Posts

Just making up a hot pot ....

dicing and frying some swede , turnip , parsnip to add after its caramelized....

just wondering how many peeps still use these 'old fashioned' ingredients

they add a lot of taste - but dont seem to be that common

????

At this time of night?

Can't bear turnip, swede, but I like roast parsnips. Me, I like to cook - baking's best - cake, biscuits, bread, there's something very soothing about it. When I was living at my mother's home - nearly 3 decades ago - she said she could always tell when I was tired - I'd go into the kitchen and start making cakes. Not I should stress, for me to eat - I had two teenaged brothers - and there was always a house full of hungry people for one reason or another.

I like to do many of the cooking tasks the old way - steamed treacle pudding, etc

Regards

Catrin

Edited by Catrin

At this time of night?

Can't bear turnip, swede, but I like roast parsnips. Me, I like to cook - baking's best - cake, biscuits, bread, there's something very soothing about it. When I was living at my mother's home - nearly 3 decades ago - she said she could always tell when I was tired - I'd go into the kitchen and start making cakes. Not I should stress, for me to eat - I had two teenaged brothers - and there was always a house full of hungry people for one reason or another.

I like to do many of the cooking tasks the old way - steamed treacle pudding, etc

Regards

Catrin

That's it then...... we know where to hold the next Banter ...... home baking .... mmmmm :lol:

If you don't put stuff like parsnips swede and turnip in a stew it is not stew is it?

At this time of night?

I like to cook to chill out.

Most of the stuff I like to cook tastes better the next day anyway - stew - hotpot - curry - chilli etc

baking ... bread maybe - I like kneading and the smell of fresh baked bread - but as for cakes n stuff ... I dont got a sweet tooth :lol:

Hey Rosey ... wot you dun to Bones :lol:

I quite like thinly sliced parsnips which are stir-fried with a bit of pepper, chilli, corriander & garlic, dash of soy sauce, either with other veg and a bit of meat or chicken, or on their own as an alternative to chips. Watch your fingers though, I cut the tip of my little finger off the other day slicing parsnips!

Edited by blackrose

dicing and frying some swede , turnip , parsnip to add after its caramelized....

????

Don't forget the bashed neeps (turnips) (with butter, salt and black pepper) with your mashed tatties and haggis. Good excuse for a wee dram as well!

SteveE

I love turnips, swedes and parsnips... especially cos they are so cheap. I like spicy cooking, but substitute these vegetables for more expensive ingredients like sweet potato and butternut squash. Roast them with onions and cumin seeds, mix in some chopped tomatoes, Rogan Josh paste, and milk for creaminess, stew them for a bit, and finally mix in chopped coriander. A fine meal for a few pence.

Pearl barley in a stew - 'lovely jubbly'. But nobody seems to use it now :lol:

Some of us still do and split peas. A handfull in most stews adds body and goodness.

If you like swede try this

Chunk and flake an onion

Slice a swede then chop into bite sized or larger pieces (you are going to eat them with a soup spoon)

Take a heavy pot and layer swede, onion and bacon bits alternately until all used up (most places will sell the bits of bacon that cant be made into a joint or nice slices for almost nothing. Only problem is you don know the mix of smoked / plain. You can use standard rashers cut into 1 inch squares if you want to be sure of the mix. Too heavy on the smoked ruins the dish I think)

Add water to cover.

Cook on the top of the stove or in a medium oven until the swede is cooked (about an hour depends on the cooker / swede).

Serve on a soup bowl with bread, the more 'rustic' the bread the better.

P

Edited by pwl

I quite like thinly sliced parsnips which are stir-fried with a bit of pepper, chilli, corriander & garlic, dash of soy sauce, either with other veg and a bit of meat or chicken, or on their own as an alternative to chips. Watch your fingers though, I cut the tip of my little finger off the other day slicing parsnips!

Solved the meat problem for you though.... :lol:

Some of us still do and split peas. A handfull in most stews adds body and goodness.

If you like swede try this

Chunk and flake an onion

Slice a swede then chop into bite sized or larger pieces (you are goig to eat them with a soup spoon)

Take a heavy pot and layer swede, onion and bacon bits alternately until all used up (most places will sell the bits of bacon that cant be made into a joint or nice slices for almost nothing. Only problem is you don know the mix of smoked / plain. You can use standard rashers cut into 1 inch squares if you want to be sure of the mix. Too heavy on the smoked ruins the dish I think)

Add water to cover.

Cook on the top of the stove or in a medium oven until the swede is cooked (about an hour depends on the cooker / swede).

Serve on a soup bowl with bread, the more 'rustic' the bread the better.

P

We use pearl barley in stews and soup, makes a wicked scotch broth. Root veg is the best as it keeps longer than other veg, so ideal on a boat. Roast parsnips are gorgeous along with carrots swede cooked around a joint.

Just found the receipe for school fudge tart, will be making it this weekend. Just imagine, eating fresh made fudge tart while sitting on the boat in the glorious sunshine thats been promised for Saturday and some of Sunday. :lol:

Recipe please? Pretty please?

We use pearl barley in stews and soup, makes a wicked scotch broth. Root veg is the best as it keeps longer than other veg, so ideal on a boat. Roast parsnips are gorgeous along with carrots swede cooked around a joint.

We are not liveaboard so the keeping problem is not that pressing but I agree with the 'all in one stew' round the joint but you forgot the leek :) .

P

Hiya

good old fashioned crushed swede and carrot with butter and black pepper is gorgeous. But another twist is to dry roast some coriander and cumin seed until they pop a little then crush in a mortar and pestle and add to the melted butter then leave for 30mins or so. After "infusing" (lol) strain the butter into the seasoned swede and carrot mash stir in some pine nuts and serve with pot roasted garlic lamb.

Garlic roasted lamb with seeded swede and carrot mash - done.

Cheers

Phil

Was going to add a picture for a lovely toad in the hole but I cant ? :)

Edited by Digitalis

good old fashioned crushed swede and carrot with butter and black pepper is gorgeous.

That's what we call 'buttercups and daisies' - great grub.

We like your idea of the 'infusing' bit and the garlic roasted lamb. Oh what a lovely aroma, we can almost smell it from here.

We're happy to come round with a bottle of vino and enjoy a tasting session :):lol:

That's what we call 'buttercups and daisies' - great grub.

We like your idea of the 'infusing' bit and the garlic roasted lamb. Oh what a lovely aroma, we can almost smell it from here.

We're happy to come round with a bottle of vino and enjoy a tasting session :):lol:

Lol - no probs

when I get me boat up to norbury we'll (me and me little patterdale) will start entertaining.

Trouble with NB's is it takes 3 weeks to go visiting

cheers

Phil

Hiya

good old fashioned crushed swede and carrot with butter and black pepper is gorgeous. But another twist is to dry roast some coriander and cumin seed until they pop a little then crush in a mortar and pestle and add to the melted butter then leave for 30mins or so. After "infusing" (lol) strain the butter into the seasoned swede and carrot mash stir in some pine nuts and serve with pot roasted garlic lamb.

Garlic roasted lamb with seeded swede and carrot mash - done.

Cheers

Phil

That I have got to try.

P