cost of diesel

petro

Featured Posts

Just for interests sake, The marina at Cala n' Bosch in Menorca was this week selling regular diesel at 115cents/litre which actually cheaper than the roadside service stations which were usually around 119-120c/l that makes it around 20% cheaper than the roadside prices I saw on the way back from the airport tonight.

Tony.

Stratford upon Avon canal - Anglo Welsh Hire spot, 80p a litre - a few days ago - we are all doomed :rolleyes:

77p at kings lock middlewich, 76 100ltrs or more. middlewich narrowboats 68 on the pump but they were closed when we passed and i later heard that they were out of stock so i expect that they would be at a higher price after delivery. 69p at lock 57 hassle green.

I suppose if no-one bought diesel off the canal-side pumps, they would soon get upset and maybe lower their prices ? :P

A jerry can a week is probably what many use and not too much hassle for most, and I see there are half jerry cans available now - a bit more exercise is probably a good idea for some as well ! :P

Nick

I suppose if no-one bought diesel off the canal-side pumps, they would soon get upset and maybe lower their prices ? :P

A jerry can a week is probably what many use and not too much hassle for most, and I see there are half jerry cans available now - a bit more exercise is probably a good idea for some as well ! :P

Nick

ouch this fuel increase sounds alot. i remember on my first boat cringing at 37p a litre only a few years ago now too....

i rekon in my job with my fuel card for car i could creap away with 5 litres a tank full about 10 litres a week...... that would keep me topped up wouldnt it...

if only i owned a boat :)

ouch this fuel increase sounds alot. i remember on my first boat cringing at 37p a litre only a few years ago now too....

i rekon in my job with my fuel card for car i could creap away with 5 litres a tank full about 10 litres a week...... that would keep me topped up wouldnt it...

if only i owned a boat :P

What is Bamp then ? :P

Nick

Red Diesel

The idea that a boater would be able to define his/her own propulsion/domestic useage when the time comes on 01/08/2008 has firmly been squashed. A meeting was held on 30th April between HM Revenue & Customs, IWA, British Marine Federation, Residential Boat Owners Association and a number of other user groups. HM Revenue & Customs is agreeable to red diesel being sold on the basis of a fixed percentage for propulsion (which would be taxed at the full rate), and a fixed percentage for domestic and heating use (which would be taxed at the present rate). This is supported by the trade and most user groups as it would make administration of the sale of red diesel simpler, and save each boat owner having to justify their individual usage. Although HMRC has suggested an 80% propulsion to 20% domestic use split, IWA has used data from the recent IWA membership survey to show that the likely average usage is nearer to 60% for propulsion and 40% for domestic use. IWA is further developing this into a written argument with statistical support for HM Revenue & Customs, which if accepted, could be used evidence to the European Union if the percentage split were to be challenged. A further dispensation might be possible for residential boaters, whose percentage use of fuel for propulsion is likely to be even lower, provided a satisfactory definition of ‘residential boater’ can be agreed.

HM Revenue & Customs has also suggested that purchasers of red diesel will be required to sign a receipt at the point of refueling, which would have specific wording to certify an element of use of the fuel for domestic purposes (at the agreed fixed rate). This could be made less onerous for regular customers of a fuel supplier, who might be able to declare just once a year. Only a signature will be required, with no requirement for boat details, etc.

My brother runs a commercial boat and usually buys 1000 litres at a time, todays price (8th May 08) was 54.98p/litre. For this the fuel is delivered to the boat, or you can have it delivered to your own tank. Heating oil is a bit cheaper though you cannot of course run your engine with it. Here's the link if anyone wants cheaper fuel https://www.boilerjuice.com

Tiger.

My brother runs a commercial boat and usually buys 1000 litres at a time, todays price (8th May 08) was 54.98p/litre. For this the fuel is delivered to the boat, or you can have it delivered to your own tank. Heating oil is a bit cheaper though you cannot of course run your engine with it. Here's the link if anyone wants cheaper fuel https://www.boilerjuice.com

Tiger.

I also have my fuel delivered I cruise in a pair with another boat and we usually have about 400 lts between us when we know we will need fuel just look up local supliers on internet and arrange to meet for a delivery ( red diesel) with road acess last delivery was 3 weeks ago 0.57p. It is also worth asking local farmers where they get there delivery from and then just call there suplier and arrange for delivery.

I remember a time when road diesel was significantly cheaper than petrol. Correct me if I am wrong, but is diesel not cheaper to produce than petrol?

If I am correct, then why the higher price? Another one of Gordon's "Oh-Sh1t-I-have-fupped-up-the-economy-do-something-quick" panic measures?

I remember a time when road diesel was significantly cheaper than petrol. Correct me if I am wrong, but is diesel not cheaper to produce than petrol?

If I am correct, then why the higher price? Another one of Gordon's "Oh-Sh1t-I-have-fupped-up-the-economy-do-something-quick" panic measures?

Yes, ask the pm, and yes.

It's still cheaper than petrol in the rest of the world.

I am especially cross about this 'cos remember we were actively encouraged to switch to diesel on the roads 'cos it was environmentally more acceptable. Less refining, more mpg etc, etc. Now diesel motors are much more efficient and less polluntant, we are being penalised for making the switch by paying more at the pumps.

Yes, ask the pm, and yes.

It's still cheaper than petrol in the rest of the world.

I am especially cross about this 'cos remember we were actively encouraged to switch to diesel on the roads 'cos it was environmentally more acceptable. Less refining, more mpg etc, etc. Now diesel motors are much more efficient and less polluntant, we are being penalised for making the switch by paying more at the pumps.

Correct me if I am wrong but....

I believe the fuel duty on Unleaded Petrol and on Road DERV are set at the same level by the UK government, (unless there has been a very recent change ??).

It is a fixed amount per litre, and is the same for both fuels, I believe.

The main reason for the 10 pence or so extra cost of DERV is to do with the prices charged by petrol companies and garages, (although as VAT is added, the government is collecting a slightly higher revenue on each litre of Diesel).

Presumably if cost of production is similar across Europe, then the significantly lower prices that one sees for DERV in particular must be because those governments are chosing to tax it at a much lower rate that Petrol.

So our government don't I think penalise you for owning a Diesel car, whereas others "reward" you.

(And yes, I do have one, and, yes, I wish I hadn't bothered!).

Alan

p.s. Motoring is expensive in the UK, but when comparing to the continent, you must also consider mototorway tolls, etc. If you were paying at the French rate every time you visited your boat David, then you would be shelling out even more!

So diesel costs less to produce than petrol, while the taxation is the same on both products - yet the selling price is the same. Does the word cartel spring to mind? In a free market should we not see diesel prices fall?

An explanation I have seen is that the "Ultra Low Sulphur" requirement pushed up the manufacturing cost of diesel.

I'm not sure I swallow that, and it still doesn't explain the huge rift between the continent and here.

So far as I can check, the duty of both unleaded and DERV is 50.35 pemce per litre, but you get the double whammy of VAT being added too. :o

Is it just my incorrect perception or are the English particularly willing to accept anything that is thrown at them? The French would be out slaughtering sheep and blocking motorways, while the English 'musnt grumble'. Is it connected to being a monarchy, where people are subjects (of servitude) instead of being empowered citizens of a republic? - Off with their heads I say!

p.s. Motoring is expensive in the UK, but when comparing to the continent, you must also consider mototorway tolls, etc. If you were paying at the French rate every time you visited your boat David, then you would be shelling out even more!

Except you have a choice, whether to use an autoroute, or not. And the fact that there is no road tax in France more than compensates for the Autoroute tolls.

The autoroutes are a much more pleasant experience than our horrible motorways, too!

So diesel costs less to produce than petrol, while the taxation is the same on both products - yet the selling price is the same.

The same??!!

I filled the diesel peugeot up at 120.9ppl, at the weekend and the petrol Subaru at 109.9ppl, today. Same garage.

The pug does 40 to the gallon, the sub, 35, with better performance. Pug is going on ebay tonight.

Is it just my incorrect perception or are the English particularly willing to accept anything that is thrown at them? The French would be out slaughtering sheep and blocking motorways, while the English 'musnt grumble'. Is it connected to being a monarchy, where people are subjects (of servitude) instead of being empowered citizens of a republic? - Off with their heads I say!

Couldn't agree more.....You'll be quoting Engels, next!!