Faulty Thomson 12 volt tv

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

We have an 8 year old Thomson 12 volt television which we are having problems with the picture.

The best way I can describe the fault is that when there is a football match on the pitch is RED and not green.

Is it time to get a new one or can it be repaired?

Steve

We have an 8 year old Thomson 12 volt television which we are having problems with the picture.

The best way I can describe the fault is that when there is a football match on the pitch is RED and not green.

Steve

If you decide to buy a new one Steve I think we have one tucked away somewhere that we no longer need. It was bought to watch world cup football some time ago and I dont think it has been used since. Make us a fair offer.

Time to replace it.

An old TV repair man said, TV's are designed to last five years, without problems and another five years, with problems, total of ten years.

It will almost definitely be cheaper to replace than repair.

Note: before anyone says my TV lasted more than ten, so did my old one. :rolleyes:

Be aware that most of the inexpensive ones are 4:3 format and not the widescreen 16:9 format, in which virtually all programmes are now broadcast.

Chris

Even though you then have to manually switch it to a different format to stop everyone looking twice as wide as they actually are. Simply transmitting programs made in 4:3 format in 16:9 format is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen done.

Gibbo

Highly unlikely to be economical to pay for a repair.

If you can find someone to look at it in their spare time, it might just be a loose solder joint or something like that.

If repaired it should be useful to someone.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Steve

Why not take it in to a repairer and ask for an estimate? [make sure it's a free one!!].

Then you can decide what to do.

It could be a dry joint - faulty transistor/IC - faulty tube ..... so cost could be acceptable or ridiculous, but at least you would know one way or the other! :rolleyes:

Steve

Hi There

It seems to me nobody wants to repair old TV's. Many are not even repairable without repacing large boards - that are no longer availlable. More evidence of our throw away society.

IMHO you will finish up buying a new one - much cheaper and much better.

Sorry :rolleyes:

Alex

ive pmd you a possible secret repair shown to me by a repair man years ago oh and the tv needs to be switched on when you do what ive suggested

BE VERY CAREUL IF YOU POKE AROUND IN THE BACK OF A COLOUR TV. SOME PARTS ARE AT A POTENTIAL OF 30,000 VOLTS. TOUCH THAT AND YOU WILL BE INSTANTLY KILLED.

Chris

Hi Steve, it's just possible that on the back of the TV there may be a button marked "manual degauss" or similar. The screen may have been magnetised by being near a large metal object - woth a try.

Great point, it could also be the degauss circuit has failed, a TV repair place would be able to try degaussing it with a 'wand' to check.

If it has failed a degauss wand can be had quite cheaply, eg:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TV-CRT-Picture-Tube-...1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers,

Pete.

30,000 volts sounds impressive but what kind of amperes are we talking about, and do people actually get killed instantly by poking around in the back of tellies? If so is it a reliable suicide method?

30,000 volts sounds impressive but what kind of amperes are we talking about, and do people actually get killed instantly by poking around in the back of tellies? If so is it a reliable suicide method?

It's a very reliable suicide method!! It's 30,000 volts and a low source impedance. Very dangerous. It's not 30,000 volts of static electicity for sticking balloons to ceilings.

Chris

By the time you have found the correct screwdriver to get the back off, there is probably quicker methods!

BE VERY CAREUL IF YOU POKE AROUND IN THE BACK OF A COLOUR TV. SOME PARTS ARE AT A POTENTIAL OF 30,000 VOLTS. TOUCH THAT AND YOU WILL BE INSTANTLY KILLED.

Chris

Thats ok no need to go inside or any screwdrivers reqd

I'll add it to the list. I was thinking walk in front of a train but you have to go outdoors for that the tv option sounds dead easy.
Problem with walking in front of a train is it'll probably be late and if you don't get it right it'll be ages before another one comes along. At least with the TV method you know there will be a repeat :huh:
We have an 8 year old Thomson 12 volt television which we are having problems with the picture.The best way I can describe the fault is that when there is a football match on the pitch is RED and not green.Is it time to get a new one or can it be repaired?Steve
As has been pointed out - TVs have a CRT which is to all effects and purposes a very big capacitor that does store a lot of elctricity for a long time. Keep clear of the leads around it.Many TVs have problems with 'dry joints' where the wires are still connected but no longer soldered - end up being a kind of push fit. If you study closely you can often see a slightly darker ring around the component where the joint has 'fizzed' for a while.As for big boards - the whole idea is that you CAN replace individual components quite easily - assuming of course you know which ones.As for the de-gauss, it is normally a small cube, often white / light grey appx 1 cm cube. If you remove it from circuit and it rattles when youshake it it has blown - replacements are only a few £However as pointed out TVs can kill and simply turning it off or unplugging it doesn't make it safe.

Many years ago when I used to repair TV's for a living, if a customer came into the shop and started moaning that his TV hadn't been repaired yet, we used to turn it on and hold an insulated screwdriver near to the 30,000 volt terminal, drawing off a spark that was over an inch long, and say "look how unsafe your TV is, you wouldn't want me to let you have it back like that would you?" Not one customer ever took it away after that, until we told him it was ready.