What's in a name?

maffi mushkila

Featured Posts

Oh I just remembered, we once owned a 18ft GRP cruiser called "Pillage" yes we changed the name, as she was green we called her The Good Elf.

Phil

If you had all the danglies around her you could have named her Elfin Safety ;-)

While building Achilles it was called various names, some four letter ones too. Being a W. Stannier fan we went through the list of Jubilee class loco's and LMS 5697 Achilles just sounded right and desided the colour.

Andrew

You aren't alone. Here on the Middle Levels someone has a boat painted LMS red and named (on a railway-style brass nameplate) 'Sir William Stanier, FRS". They were big enough fans of the man to spell his surname correctly, too.

You aren't alone. Here on the Middle Levels someone has a boat painted LMS red and named (on a railway-style brass nameplate) 'Sir William Stanier, FRS". They were big enough fans of the man to spell his surname correctly, too.

Got a touchy nnnnn key, sorry.

Just a little note, looking at the list of Jubilee's there seems to be quite few common names, Jellicoe, Atlas, Ajax, Keppel, Victory, and Neptune to just to name a few.

Andrew

Edited by dove

We named our boat "STORMSONG" whilst it was being built, purely because the name hadn't been used before and we liked the sound of it. Then whilst we were living in Spain for 7 months waiting for it to be finished, we changed it to "BARCA LA ALEGRIA" (rough translation of Boat of Happiness or Joy). Then when we had been living on it for some time and getting all the faults and problems sorted out we got a bit dispirited and decided that that name was a bit inappropriate. So we searched around for another name that hadn't been used much, and our daughter suggested "The Owl and the Pussycat" as it's a "Beautiful Pea Green Boat!" and as the money we had left would easily be wrapped up in a £5 note, and we had a jar of honey, that was the name for us!

:lol::lol:

PS we don't intend going to sea though! :lol::lol:

[quote name='capnthommo' date='Feb

martin, i have noticed boats called Llamedos and thought for ages that they were named after the country in prattchett books (notably in 'soul music') but have come to the conclusion that we prattchett readers aren't as common on the canals as i thought. it's just coincidence.

cheers

nigel

Octarine was owned and named by a lovely couple I used to know called chas and sue about 22yrs ago. Then it was on the river stort. It was Sue who did the sign writing.

We've seen a 'two flowers' cruise past and 'wizzard', there's also 'luggage' moored on the shrop' union.

We racked our brains trying to come up with something original for our boat, (ook was in the running as was nanny ogg) but when we found her we were told she was named after the owners late wife and we got a bit sentiment. We dropped the 'just' so she is now plain Elsie.

(Why do people name a boat just.......?)

Our boat is an Aqualine, built in Gdansk, Zodiak is the name of the harbourmaster's boat there with his flotilla of smaller craft called Aries, Taurus etc. It's the Polish spelling of zodiac and we have put the constellation star patterns of Taurus (my sign) and Gemini (Jackie's sign) on the cabin sides - not that we are astrologically inclined - more astronomically - thinking of being moored up under a starry canopy

Cair Paravel.....from the very first book I remember listening to when I was six. Cair Paravel is a fantasy castle from the C.S. Lewis stories of Narnia. So it seemed to fit with the Englishman's home is his castle.....

and my 'castle' is very nearly ready, just four weeks, allegedly, but Im mindful of poor Jude's anxious waiting so Im not forecasting too soon.

but gosh its looking good :lol:

My folks can't remember why they called our big birdy Linnet. I reckon it suits her though :lol:

When she was up on the Lancaster (long before it was re-connected) she was called Th'only. As in (Spoken with a Lancs accent obviously) "Th'only narabowut ont' canal"

*groans and flinches in sympathy for Linnet*

Edited by Kez

Our boat is an Aqualine, built in Gdansk, Zodiak is the name of the harbourmaster's boat there with his flotilla of smaller craft called Aries, Taurus etc. It's the Polish spelling of zodiac and we have put the constellation star patterns of Taurus (my sign) and Gemini (Jackie's sign) on the cabin sides - not that we are astrologically inclined - more astronomically - thinking of being moored up under a starry canopy

Zodiac is also the name of a world renowned R.I.B.

Phil

'Fairies Wear Boots' by Black Sabbath :lol:

When we were searching for names we looked at list after list of boat names, then we realised we weren't going to end up with anything original doing that so we looked through the record collection. Smudge and Beth (our youngest) are both huge Ozzy fans and I like my fairies so when we came to Fairies Wear Boots it was really a no-brainer! Plus I got to paint a fairy on the boat which I was never allowed to do at the house! :lol:

We have two responses to the Fairy - 'where does the name come from?' or 'SABBATH' (usually middle aged men! :lol: )

I pass this boat loads and wondered where the name came from! Love the Fairie pick and the fab dog! :lol:

Out boat was named Penny (ex hire) and we considered changing the name but never did now it just seems like the boat is a thing in its own right called Penny.we considered Mars for mark Angela and Rachael(s) and some latin terms but in the end did nothing!

Edited by angelanmark

I called one of my Fireball sailing dinghys "Tomato Sloop" as it was red and a sloop rigged boat.

I had a signwritten drawing of a tomato ketchup squeeze (the type you saw in transport cafes) on the transome.

As for our renamed narrowboat.........

Edited by Ray T