Generator

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Please don't any of you moor near me and run a generator. In 20yrs we have never needed one. We cruise regularly to keep batteries topped up and are frugle with electricity.

Sue

Good for you Sue 20 years and never needed to run your engine when moored. When I find somewhere I like I have been known to stay for 14 days (Sometimes longer but dont tell anyone) I happen to enjoy boating but also enjoy the benefits of modern life such as TV, computer and love playing my music. So was wondering if I would be better off buying a generator to enjoy these modern day benefits. So if you see a black boat called "Gemma Joy" with the South African flag and a Springbok (as in winners of the rugby world cup twice!!!) painted on the side keep going. Oh and if you happen to walk past at night after the pubs have closed you will recognise it by the lights being on and the TV going!!

I was going to dispute the nuts & berries but then realised I am drinking sloe gin. Definately not deprived. :-))

Well I'm a strict Muslim and cannot tolerate your Western excess and debauchery, so if you have alcohol on your boat please do not moor up near me. :D

Edited by blackrose

Take this thread right back to the orignal post. You say (i think) that most of the time if you do stop, you only stop for a couple (two?) nights at a place. Before moving on again.

- If this is the case im slightly supprised that with four (4*110Ah @ 12v ?) lesure batterys you find the need to run a generator for that.

- Maybe you should consider buying another two batterys, or if there aging replace the four, and take steps to save power on such days.

If your spending a lot of time running an engine purely to generate power, it makes a lot of sense to have a small generator to save hours on the main engine.

However if like you say you are basicaly constantly on the move, stoping for a night or two as you more, with only occational longer stays. Then i as i say, unless you had specific requirments (such as cooking using electric) i would expect you to be able to last 90% of the time without having to run your engine for additional hours. In which case i would suggest for the odd few times a year you do stop in one place for longer using the main engine would be the way to go.

For the two/three night stays you can save electricity in a number of ways, for simply using less lights and turning the fridge down a bit, to making sure you do any washing/cleaning/high usage activitys on nights your moving on the next day.

- And then ofcause you can also take steps to reduce you usage across the board, by using florecents inplace of halogens, and reading the spec sheets of varous items and taking that into account while buying them.

Daniel

Do you never run your engine while moored up? What about if you are prevented from travelling due to weather or stoppages? I understand the noise problems, i hate it too but i'd far prefer to be moored by someone with a very quiet genny than a main engine running. I found having a computer onboard (i now use a phone) did require a fair bit of charging to take place.
Yes sometimes we run the engine to charge batteries but not very often. I very often use my phone for the internet but we have no tv, washing machine or other high powered devices.Sue
Good for you Sue 20 years and never needed to run your engine when moored.I didn't say that if you read my post I said we didn't need a genny. When I find somewhere I like I have been known to stay for 14 days (Sometimes longer but dont tell anyone) I happen to enjoy boating but also enjoy the benefits of modern life such as TV, computer and love playing my music. So was wondering if I would be better off buying a generator to enjoy these modern day benefits. So if you see a black boat called "Gemma Joy" with the South African flag and a Springbok (as in winners of the rugby world cup twice!!!) painted on the side keep going. Oh and if you happen to walk past at night after the pubs have closed you will recognise it by the lights being on and the TV going!!
Well I'm a strict Muslim and cannot tolerate your Western excess and debauchery, so if you have alcohol on your boat please do not moor up near me. :D
So you aren't going to pop in for a drink then!

For my previous sea boat i forked out 120 squid on a 4 stroke petrol 1000w genny which ran the flat screen tv plus dvd recorder plus sky box plus play station when required plus the mastervolt battery management system. it also ran the 240v wheelhouse lights and microwave combi oven. used 1 litre per hour and had a 4 litre tank.

Got it from Costco but cant remember the make

obviously when the microwave was on other stuff was switched off but a cracking little machine and never once had any complaints from the oyster catchers or red shanks while at anchor in stangate creek

Just like to thank everyone for thier replies. I have now researched generators on the internet and with the help of everyone will order a Honda 20i will moor next to sueb but not start generator until I have had that drink, and when suffering from a hang over from all the booze from sueb will search out an orange juice from blackrose.

Honda also allow the transfer of the 5yr warranty if you ever sell within the warranty period.

Of course, a REAL boater would, at night, wearing his head torch, shin up the nearest pylon ( wearing rubber gloves in case of shock risk ) with a couple of croc clips on a long extension lead, also draped across the tow-path, running to his own hand-wound, step-down transformer, crafted from scrap iron and old hair-dryer motor windings, dumped by thoughtless boaters on the tow-path, and power his boat ( for free !) and be applauded by others for helping clear up the tow path....

But you don't see them very often - there are not many about !

Nick

(I'd go for a Honda too)

:D

Of course, a REAL boater would, at night, wearing his head torch, shin up the nearest pylon ( wearing rubber gloves in case of shock risk ) with a couple of croc clips on a long extension lead, also draped across the tow-path, running to his own hand-wound, step-down transformer, crafted from scrap iron and old hair-dryer motor windings, dumped by thoughtless boaters on the tow-path, and power his boat ( for free !) and be applauded by others for helping clear up the tow path....

But you don't see them very often - there are not many about !

Nick

(I'd go for a Honda too)

:wacko:

Which wire does the posi croc clip go on? :D

Just like to thank everyone for thier replies. I have now researched generators on the internet and with the help of everyone will order a Honda 20i will moor next to sueb but not start generator until I have had that drink, and when suffering from a hang over from all the booze from sueb will search out an orange juice from blackrose.

That's a good choice, make sure you lock it up well even when it's being used. Also be aware of the twin evils of petrol fumes (refuel on the bank if possible rather than on the boat), and carbon monoxide from the exhaust coming back into the boat through open doors, windows, & vents. CO from generators has killed a few boaters.

Edited by blackrose

If you put out a large copper coil under a pylon, you will easily generate 110 volts to power things. There was case in London where a man did this and powered his house for years. They caught him and he was find for stealing electricity. You need a pretty big coil though.

If you put out a large copper coil under a pylon, you will easily generate 110 volts to power things. There was case in London where a man did this and powered his house for years. They caught him and he was find for stealing electricity. You need a pretty big coil though.

Can you get prosecuted for stealing by induction? Couldn't he have said the coil was some sort of art installation?

Which wire does the posi croc clip go on? :)
The top wire is earth the next one is positive, then neutral or in that order sideways. There are also variations on that theme. On big pylons, the very top wire is earth.
Can you get prosecuted for stealing by induction? Couldn't he have said the coil was some sort of art installation?
That's what happened. CEGB said it created losses. Not that they would have noticed though!

There was apparently a pub in Holland that was lit by wall lights running off tuned circuits - tuned to the nearby broadcast station chucking out Megawatts - the tuned circuit trapped enough energy to power the bulbs ( allegedly)

Nick

The top wire is earth the next one is positive, then neutral or in that order sideways. There are also variations on that theme. On big pylons, the very top wire is earth.That's what happened. CEGB said it created losses. Not that they would have noticed though!

Surely on pylons there is no live or neutral, it'll be a 3-phase floating supply?

Chris

That's a good choice, make sure you lock it up well even when it's being used. Also be aware of the twin evils of petrol fumes (refuel on the bank if possible rather than on the boat), and carbon monoxide from the exhaust coming back into the boat through open doors, windows, & vents. CO from generators has killed a few boaters.

Ah now maybe I need to find a butty. Thank you for the good advise I am very aware of the risks of carbon monoxide I was in the Junction pub in Norbury when they found the bodies on "Drunken Duck" last March moored outside the pub.

I am a Constant Cruiser and have been now for 16 months, though sometimes I do stop in one place for 14 days and most times will stay a couple of nights. I keep having this debate as to whether I should buy a generator instead of running my engine every day. I have 4 leisure betteries and a Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/2000 - 100 inverster. I saw an adversisment in the paper yesterday for a Wolf Dual Voltage 2800W generator for £189.99 (They should introduce a 99p coin!!) it says it requires 15liters of petrol for 10 hours running so quite expensive to run compared to engine but not sure how long I would need to run to charge up batteries!!

Hello there,

Just a thought if you would need a battery control to automatically start and stop your genny, this may help you: GenControl.co.uk There are generators for sale as well.

Regards,

Vik

No the top wire is earth and the others are live and neutral. I don't think its generally phased above 415v.

I don't think that's correct, with respect. Pylons ARE 3 phase. The electricity generating stations produce 3 phase because they are rotating machines. It's produced at around 25KV and stepped-up, by transformer, to typically 330KV in this country to reduce the current and hence the i2R losses for transmission over long distances.

Each pylon has 7 wires. The top one is earth, as you correctly state, but the other 6 are arranged in 3 sets of parallel wires. Each parallel pair are one of the 3 phases - they are not live and neutral. They are both live if you happen to touch one of them and earth. The first time that a live and neutral appears is once they earth one of the 2 conductors at the sub-station after transforming down. There would be no point in having a neutral before this stage.

Chris

I don't think that's correct, with respect. Pylons ARE 3 phase. The electricity generating stations produce 3 phase because they are rotating machines. It's produced at around 25KV and stepped-up, by transformer, to typically 330KV in this country to reduce the current and hence the i2R losses for transmission over long distances.

Each pylon has 7 wires. The top one is earth, as you correctly state, but the other 6 are arranged in 3 sets of parallel wires. Each parallel pair are one of the 3 phases - they are not live and neutral. They are both live if you happen to touch one of them and earth. The first time that a live and neutral appears is once they earth one of the 2 conductors at the sub-station after transforming down. There would be no point in having a neutral before this stage.

Chris

Sorry, think your right. I have confused myself and I'm looking out of the window at a 11000 volt rural distribution network as well!! Must be getting old!