Generator

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I am a Constant Cruiser and have been now for 16 months, though sometimes I do stop in one place for 14 days and most times will stay a couple of nights. I keep having this debate as to whether I should buy a generator instead of running my engine every day. I have 4 leisure betteries and a Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/2000 - 100 inverster. I saw an adversisment in the paper yesterday for a Wolf Dual Voltage 2800W generator for £189.99 (They should introduce a 99p coin!!) it says it requires 15liters of petrol for 10 hours running so quite expensive to run compared to engine but not sure how long I would need to run to charge up batteries!!

I am a Constant Cruiser and have been now for 16 months, though sometimes I do stop in one place for 14 days and most times will stay a couple of nights. I keep having this debate as to whether I should buy a generator instead of running my engine every day. I have 4 leisure betteries and a Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/2000 - 100 inverster. I saw an adversisment in the paper yesterday for a Wolf Dual Voltage 2800W generator for £189.99 (They should introduce a 99p coin!!) it says it requires 15liters of petrol for 10 hours running so quite expensive to run compared to engine but not sure how long I would need to run to charge up batteries!!

A. very noisy B. over the top. C. v. expensive to run

Yes to generator, much more efficient to use 1 hp rather than 40 to charge batteries. Consider a honda EU10i or EU20i - your battery bank is a bit small for your charger (and inverter) so a control panel for it or more batteries should be considered.

ps if you buy the Wolf, please don't moor next to me!!

If you want or need a generator by all means get one, but don't buy crap. It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend £50K+ on a boat, thousands on the engine of their choice, as much as a grand on a combi inverter/charger, but then they'll baulk at the idea of spending more than a couple of hundred quid on a generator!

Apart from anything else that Wolf will probably not put out an AC sinewave that's acceptable to your mastervolt charger - you'll need a better generator to do that.

I would use some form of generator in preference to running the engine - Its cheaper to buy a new genset than a main engine.....

Most Mastervolt chargers are more forgiving than you would think concerning waveforms.

Ask around anybody with that Combi and a suitcase generator to see what works.

2800 is bigger than you need.

Honda are nice but not cheap.

Personally, if I were in need, I would consider the Honda a good investment for a liveaboard and what is a key piece of equipment, but its your money.

The output on the Kipor is apparently not as good as the Honda, but I've never analysed it first hand.

If you want or need a generator by all means get one, but don't buy crap. It never ceases to amaze me that people will spend £50K+ on a boat, thousands on the engine of their choice, as much as a grand on a combi inverter/charger, but then they'll baulk at the idea of spending more than a couple of hundred quid on a generator!

Apart from anything else that Wolf will probably not put out an AC sinewave that's acceptable to your mastervolt charger - you'll need a better generator to do that.

I am not baulking at the amount of money I need to spend..... was just asking the question as someone who does not know anything about generators and happen to see an ad for a Wolf.

Sterling also have a new range of well-priced gennies plus, a new idea, a dedicated charging generator (ie: it incorporates a 50A multistage charger).

see here

Chris

While I trust Sterling's electrical equipment, when it comes to the quality of their petrol engines I'd be slightly hesitant.

The battery charging generator only puts out DC - is that correct? I guess the main benefit of a DC generator is not having to buy a separate generator and charger, but then with an AC generator you have the advantage being able to use surplus power to run other appliances while you're charging. Also it's not as adaptable as a mains charger because you can't run it from shore power.

Edited by blackrose

[quote name='blackrose' date='Feb 23 2008, 02:35 PM' post='206723'

The battery charging generator only puts out DC - is that correct? I guess the main benefit of a DC generator is not having to buy a separate generator and charger, but then with an AC generator you have the advantage being able to use surplus power to run other appliances while you're charging. Also it's not as adaptable as a mains charger because you can't run it from shore power.

All of that is a correct assumption.

Chris

I am not baulking at the amount of money I need to spend..... was just asking the question as someone who does not know anything about generators and happen to see an ad for a Wolf.

Well, it sounded suspiciously like baulking to me... We're keeping our eye on you... Baulking is not permitted. We want to see you spending BIG money! :D

Hi,

I too, had the same dilemma, I have found out that my style of using the NB at week-ends has resulted in the batteries getting insufficient deep charge.

I am currently installing a Sterling PDAR Alternator controller, to charge the batteries more efficiently, and will be purchasing a Sterling 40Amp battery charger (1240CED). I have just purchased a Kawasaki GA1400-A Generator from flea-bay and it works fine. I would have preferred to buy a Honda, but I reckon that Kawasaki make an equally good gen-set too. (time will tell from this excellent advice forum!) :D

Edited by Byeckerslike

I'd bet the kwakker will outlast its modern lightweight equivalent honda. Dedicated battery charging gennies aren't actually a 'new idea', Honda made the ED400 12/24vdc dedicated charging unit for many years. I personally prefer separates because when the charger stops working i can plug one which does work into the genny and still have power.

I'd bet the kwakker will outlast its modern lightweight equivalent honda. Dedicated battery charging gennies aren't actually a 'new idea', Honda made the ED400 12/24vdc dedicated charging unit for many years. I personally prefer separates because when the charger stops working i can plug one which does work into the genny and still have power.

That is exactly my opinion too! (Forever, the optimist!) :D

Why do you think the Kwakker is better? I've owned 2 Kawasaki motorbikes as well as 3 Hondas and always had less trouble with the latter. I've also owned 3 Honda generators - 2 of which I still have and one which I bought second hand, ran as a liveaboard for 3 years without missing a beat, before selling it on to a bloke who lost it to thieves two weeks later!

All in all I've got to come down on the side of Mr Honda.

Edited by blackrose

I use a honda ex650 which has been working well for 13 years, about 5-6000 hours. I just feel that the new plastic Honda generators will not be as effective as the old style, including kawasaki generators, at avoiding the gravitational pull of the municipal waste disposal site.

I use a honda ex650 which has been working well for 13 years, about 5-6000 hours. I just feel that the new plastic Honda generators will not be as effective as the old style, including kawasaki generators, at avoiding the gravitational pull of the municipal waste disposal site.

Please don't any of you moor near me and run a generator. In 20yrs we have never needed one. We cruise regularly to keep batteries topped up and are frugle with electricity.

Sue

Why do you think the Kwakker is better? I've owned 2 Kawasaki motorbikes as well as 3 Hondas and always had less trouble with the latter. I've also owned 3 Honda generators - 2 of which I still have and one which I bought second hand, ran as a liveaboard for 3 years without missing a beat, before selling it on to a bloke who lost it to thieves two weeks later!

All in all I've got to come down on the side of Mr Honda.

'Tis a well known fact, that Kawasaki Heavy industries, started making motorcycles as an advert for their vast range of heavy products; from massive tanker ships to colossal earth moving diggers, just to get their name into the public domain.

Kawasaki have an enviable reputation of making over engineered, hence, reliable products. :D

Sterling also have a new range of well-priced gennies plus, a new idea, a dedicated charging generator (ie: it incorporates a 50A multistage charger).

see here

Chris

hi

i bought one of the sterling gennie from midland chandlery,last yesr ,worst purchase i ever made.

the thing wouldnt even power ther charger for a cordless drill, returned it to midland chandlery, every one they sold had been returned.

regards

bear

Edited by bear

Please don't any of you moor near me and run a generator. In 20yrs we have never needed one. We cruise regularly to keep batteries topped up and are frugle with electricity. Sue
I'll moor where I like thank you very much. Just because you feel you've never needed a generator and want to live a nuts & berries lifestyle doesn't mean we should all be deprived. I'm allowed to run a generator from 8am until 8pm.

Some of us don't move as often as you and I like to get to know the locality for a couple of weeks, so it's either the noisy engine or a quiet generator - which would you prefer? Anyway, generators are not all the same - good ones are extremely quiet and you wouldn't even hear mine if I was moored up next to you. I once knocked on a neighbour's boat at 8pm to apologise for running the generator a bit late - the woman looked at me as if I was mad and said "but I can't hear anything?"

Kawasaki have an enviable reputation of making over engineered, hence, reliable products. :D
In my experience that doesn't apply to their motorbikes.

There is the smaller version of what I bought, from this site, it may be "man enough" for you requirements.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=012
I don't think a 750w continuous rated generator will run his mastervolt combi

hii bought one of the sterling gennie from midland chandlery,last yesr ,worst purchase i ever made. the thing wouldnt even power ther charger for a cordless drill, returned it to midland chandlery, every one they sold had been returned.regards bear
Well, that is bad - it's all we need to know about those units really. Edited by blackrose

I'll moor where I like thank you very much. Just because you feel you've never needed a generator and want to live a nuts & berries lifestyle doesn't mean we should all be deprived. I'm allowed to run a generator from 8am until 8pm.

Some of us don't move as often as you and I like to get to know the locality for a couple of weeks, so it's either the noisy engine or a quiet generator - which would you prefer? Anyway, generators are not all the same - good ones are extremely quiet and you wouldn't even hear mine if I was moored up next to you. I once knocked on a neighbour's boat at 8pm to apologise for running the generator a bit late - the woman looked at me as if I was mad and said "but I can't hear anything?"

In my experience that doesn't apply to their motorbikes.

I don't think a 750w continuous rated generator will run his mastervolt combi

Well, that is bad - it's all we need to know about those units really.

I was going to dispute the nuts & berries but then realised I am drinking sloe gin. Definately not deprived. :-))

Do you never run your engine while moored up? What about if you are prevented from travelling due to weather or stoppages? I understand the noise problems, i hate it too but i'd far prefer to be moored by someone with a very quiet genny than a main engine running. I found having a computer onboard (i now use a phone) did require a fair bit of charging to take place.