Generator

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Thats a good price, where did you buy from?

Ok, sorry folks, I'm a new boy round here, I've just trawled my way through all the info , very interetsing,the bit i'm not sure about is...... am i better having a genny to charge the batts and run of the inverter, or , have a genny to run everything and save the batts? We're selling the house and having a New boat built as a live aboard, though we've had a Nb for years ( just too old and too small for us to live on, well, its not for me but the Mrs wants a new one, just how she wants it, I'm not going to disagree if it gets us out on the water....), or do i just moor up under the pylons?.....................

Dibbo

Ok, sorry folks, I'm a new boy round here, I've just trawled my way through all the info , very interetsing,the bit i'm not sure about is...... am i better having a genny to charge the batts and run of the inverter, or , have a genny to run everything and save the batts? We're selling the house and having a New boat built as a live aboard, though we've had a Nb for years ( just too old and too small for us to live on, well, its not for me but the Mrs wants a new one, just how she wants it, I'm not going to disagree if it gets us out on the water....), or do i just moor up under the pylons?.....................

Dibbo

Dibbo

Welcome to the forum.

There is guideline (rule) that generators can only be run between 8am and 8pm, so any 240volt equipment will need to run from the inverter outside these times.

I am in the process of having a Nb built as a liveaboard, it will be gas free, there will be a 7Kw generator, 2.5 Kw inverter and twin alternators on the engine one for start battery and one for the domestic bank.

There is guideline (rule) that generators can only be run between 8am and 8pm,

In all this miasma of 'guidelines' and 'rules' we live by, this one has no such ambiguity - it's a bye-law.

And one that is routinely broken, mostly by Daily Mail readers

(i made the last bit up)

Dibbo

Hi Dibbo. (I almost mistook you for Gibbo but then I remembered he had a little bit more electrical knowledge :angry:)

You're better to run the genny to charge the batteries during the day and at the same time use any spare generator capacity to run mains appliances. Then in the evening you can use your batteries to supply any 12v (or 24v?) consumables such as lights and also use your inverter to run mains appliances.

Mike

Slightly left field, but I was looking at these this morning http://www.voller-energy.com/

I haven't been able to find price or availability yet.

I don't get it? The homepage talks about hydrogen fuel cell technology, but when I clicked on the marine tab it was telling me the Emerald system runs on propane or LPG? :angry:

http://www.voller-energy.com/applications_mar.asp

Edited by blackrose

Hi

Just looked at this thread and the thought occured to me that if buying a generator and money was not a prime consideration a diesel one would be better, not only for their more robust nature usually, but because if it ever comes to a crunch and you have to justify to a Revenue Investigator why you are claiming 99.9% of your "fuel" is used for domestic you can say "I'm a bridge hopper/never move of this mooring and it all goes into the Genny"

david

Just thought of something else, buy one of those Esbacher heaters that are knackered (several in threads on here) for 50P and leave it in a box , then you can also say "just broke down last week used to run all day and night waiting for bits to mend it"

Thanks for that, I do work with a Gibbo, so it does tend to get confusing if someone calls one of us, !!

Thanks for the advice, people don't tend to moan about day time running of a genny i spose, were at night, and rightly so , folks don't like it. I spose as long as it puts back into the batts whats taken out , a happy status quo remains? . The biggest drain will be the washing machine, and possibly tumble dryer (would we need one?) I do want to be gas free, and am looking at herritage cookers etc for a deisel Range/Aga style, to heat everything, bit dear when compered to LPG cookers. I have a million of other questions to ask, but will hassle the correct forum for those.

Feeling at home already,

Dibbo

Hi Dibbo. (I almost mistook you for Gibbo but then I remembered he had a little bit more electrical knowledge :angry:)

You're better to run the genny to charge the batteries during the day and at the same time use any spare generator capacity to run mains appliances. Then in the evening you can use your batteries to supply any 12v (or 24v?) consumables such as lights and also use your inverter to run mains appliances.

Mike

I'm going to have the candy 1000 washing machine, any idea what size generator I'll need?

I know it is rated at 1600watts but that only the 3kw inverter is recommended to run it, so is the same true for a generator or could I get away with a 2kw - I'm looking at the Honda suitcase as it's not too noisey

I'm going to have the candy 1000 washing machine, any idea what size generator I'll need?

I know it is rated at 1600watts but that only the 3kw inverter is recommended to run it, so is the same true for a generator or could I get away with a 2kw - I'm looking at the Honda suitcase as it's not too noisey

I think the Honda EU20i would do it. Look at the rated output of the generator in the specs. It won't be 2kw - more likely 1.8kw or thereabouts.

Edit: Just checked and it's 1.6kw so I don't know. I think it would still do it, but wait for other responses...

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/pages/HondaEU20i.htm

Edited by blackrose

You will need a good clean waveform for the Candy 1000. Our cheapo 2kva genny will provide enoguh power to run ours but not a clean enough waveform, which throws the speed control crazy. I would tend to think that the honda will be clean enough, but please check it out.

You will need a good clean waveform for the Candy 1000. Our cheapo 2kva genny will provide enoguh power to run ours but not a clean enough waveform, which throws the speed control crazy. I would tend to think that the honda will be clean enough, but please check it out.

The Honda's waveform will be fine, it's supposed to be better than the mains!

Hi

Got the Candy, and a Mastervolt Whisper 3.5 which is 3Kw max output. It has a control panel which shows Hz, volts, rpm, Kw's and percentage of total power being used. When the washing machine is on wash cycle heating the water and rotating the drum it shows at max just over a Kw and 30 odd% if you are still wanting exact figures I will note them this weekend when we are there. It also has 10 green LED's (the 10th one is red for overload) which light up progressivly as the load increases never see more than four lit with the machine on and battery charger on (50amp Mastervolt), we always turn bat charger on as soon as the washer is turned on.

The genny comes with the rev's set to give 52.5Hz at no load, at this the spin cycle would not go into fast spin, but adjusting the rev's to 52Hz no load which on the panel flickers between 51 and 52Hz when above are running the Candy works fine. Of course the Mastervolt is a very clean power source anyway.

Just as another example I can also turn on the 1Kw immersion heater at the same time and the output load figure never goes higher than 70% and drops fairly quickly as the battery charger load drops.

david

Edited by David

hello

I am thinking of getting Honda EC20i,

well two of them actually to run in parallel

£799 is a good price, is that including VAT?

Where did you get it from?

Baloo

That's a very good price. Even Just Generators who are usually the chepest are £80 more expensive.

By the way Baloo, you know you've got to think about some safety issues when using petrol generators. I know yo've already asked about earthing but you also need to be aware of safe storage of petrol. You're meant to refuel off the boat. Also there's the potential for CO from the generator's exhaust to be blown back into the boat through vents and open windows which can kill.

Lastly, always keep your generators out of sight and secure when not in use and locked up even when in use!

That's a very good price. Even Just Generators who are usually the chepest are £80 more expensive.

By the way Baloo, you know you've got to think about some safety issues when using petrol generators. I know yo've already asked about earthing but you also need to be aware of safe storage of petrol. You're meant to refuel off the boat. Also there's the potential for CO from the generator's exhaust to be blown back into the boat through vents and open windows which can kill.

Lastly, always keep your generators out of sight and secure when not in use and locked up even when in use!

Where does the RCD recommend for storing petrol?

was thinking Jerry cans locked in bow locker?

These gennies will definatley get along ok with my Victron too? have read conflicting information on this forum.

Where does the RCD recommend for storing petrol?

was thinking Jerry cans locked in bow locker?

These gennies will definatley get along ok with my Victron too? have read conflicting information on this forum.

It's basically the same as the storage of gas bottles - a gas tight locker that drains over the side. We had a couple of threads on here before about whether you could store petrol in your gas locker (along with gas bottles) and although some disagreed I think the consensus was yes.

Those Hondas have a voltage stability of +/- 1% which I think is better than the mains. I don't know what that means in terms of the sine wave profile, but I don't think you'll find a generator with a better wave form than the Honda EU range. My EU10i runs my Sterling 30amp charger without a problem but you might want to give Victron a call and ask them.

Edited by blackrose

Got the Candy, and a Mastervolt Whisper 3.5 which is 3Kw max output.

Hi David,

Thanks for info, both here and within the other posting. The Mastervolt does seem to be as good as any, better than most, and is a nice compact unit.

Ian